White Sox have won 11 of 15

macsandz

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 22, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
5-0-1 in their past 5 series. That is getting it done.

A really tough test coming up with this upcoming road trip. I think much of the 2011 story might just be told based on the results of this trip.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 22, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
A really tough test coming up with this upcoming road trip. I think much of the 2011 story might just be told based on the results of this trip.

This would seem like a rather valid point but since the Sox have looked closer to the team that Kenny expected to see in April, I think he will hold off in making any real drastic changes even if the Sox don’t do all that well in this trip.

I still strongly believe Cleveland will hit a wall which may happen sooner than later. This week they go against the Red Sox then play the Rays in Tampa, the Blue Jays in Toronto and some run of the mill teams in June. Kansas City is just a game ahead of us and Detroit will hang around.

QUOTE (Yoda @ May 22, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
This would seem like a rather valid point but since the Sox have looked closer to the team that Kenny expected to see in April, I think he will hold off in making any real drastic changes even if the Sox don’t do all that well in this trip.

I think it would make kw a lot happier if he started getting production from Adam Dunn. That's the main thing he is missing from the offseason plan.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 23, 2011 -> 12:54 AM)
5-0-1 in their past 5 series. That is getting it done.

Great baseball but Sox still 11 back in loss column entering a killer road trip.

Team is on life support IMO even though most of you disagree. No margin of error. Sox must keep winning every series.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
I think it would make kw a lot happier if he started getting production from Adam Dunn. That's the main thing he is missing from the offseason plan.

It has to start with our leadoff man. He needs to make things happen. I strongly believe if Pierre was causing the kind of havoc he’s been known for in his career (b/c his bat has never really been something to go crazy about) then Alexei and Dunn would have better pitches to go at. Most of the time when Dunn is up at the plate, Pierre had long been retired from some kind of weak grounder to the infield.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
Great baseball but Sox still 11 back in loss column entering a killer road trip.

Team is on life support IMO even though most of you disagree. No margin of error. Sox must keep winning every series.

You are just being ridiculous. There are 115 games left and we are chasing an unproven, surprise team. Life support?

You can be as dramatic as you'd like, but that doesn't mean any of it is true.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2011 -> 02:16 AM)
You are just being ridiculous. There are 115 games left and we are chasing an unproven, surprise team. Life support?

You can be as dramatic as you'd like, but that doesn't mean any of it is true.

Let me ask you a question.

Do you really believe if we fall 14 back in the loss column after this road trip we are going to win the division?

I am hopeful of a good road trip ... but that could easily happen and the Sox would be finished.

I mean get real ... with Sox 11 back in loss column, yes I'd call it life support depending on what happens on this trip with us and Cleveland.

I mean what is there to disagree about?? You don't come back from 14 back in the loss column just because you want to.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
Let me ask you a question.

Do you really believe if we fall 14 back in the loss column after this road trip we are going to win the division?

I am hopeful of a good road trip ... but that could easily happen and the Sox would be finished.

I mean get real ... with Sox 11 back in loss column, yes I'd call it life support depending on what happens on this trip with us and Cleveland.

I mean what is there to disagree about?? You don't come back from 14 back in the loss column just because you want to.

Greg, how can you or anyone possibly know where the Indians are going to finish at this point?

Would anyone be surprised if they went 8 and 18 in June?

If they were chasing a Minnesota team or even a Tiger team with that record, I would be at least mildly concerned with such a large lead at this point, but they're not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2011 -> 09:27 PM)
I still say looking only at the loss column is nuts. Those makeup games will be really tough on Cleveland. They're going to lose their rest for most of the 2nd half.

Yeah I know, who cares about where we are back of the loss column right now.. worry about that in August and September.. right now they need to focus on 1. Getting back to .500 and 2. passing who is immediately in front of them..

They cant be worried about catching just Cleveland right now, that's a good way to lose focus on what needs to be done..

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 23, 2011 -> 01:18 AM)

They are all important. We spend too much time pointing out how much each series means to our chances of survival. Last time it was the Indians series and before that the West coast swing. Let's just win!

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2011 -> 02:23 AM)
Greg, how can you or anyone possibly know where the Indians are going to finish at this point?

Would anyone be surprised if they went 8 and 18 in June?

If they were chasing a Minnesota team or even a Tiger team with that record, I would be at least mildly concerned with such a large lead at this point, but they're not.

We can agree to disagree. I'm just saying at some point you are finished when you are behind a certain amount of games in the loss column. All I pointed out was we were on life support and HAD to keep winning series. I'm saying we cannot come back from 14 back and I'd be in favor of a firesale at that point.

I'm all for winning series. I've been loving it. Watching a lot of baseball lately.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2011 -> 02:39 AM)
We can agree to disagree. I'm just saying at some point you are finished when you are behind a certain amount of games in the loss column. All I pointed out was we were on life support and HAD to keep winning series. I'm saying we cannot come back from 14 back and I'd be in favor of a firesale at that point.

I'm all for winning series. I've been loving it. Watching a lot of baseball lately.

You are right greg, but it's too early to say that :lolhitting

QUOTE (T R U @ May 23, 2011 -> 03:34 AM)
Yeah I know, who cares about where we are back of the loss column right now.. worry about that in August and September.. right now they need to focus on 1. Getting back to .500 and 2. passing who is immediately in front of them..

They cant be worried about catching just Cleveland right now, that's a good way to lose focus on what needs to be done..

+1

Obv the example I'm going to give is an exception, rather than the norm, but the 1995 Mariners were 15 games back in mid August and won the division, if you think a 4-6 road trip in MAY will kill the season, you're out of your mind, and need to rethink your perspective on things. Just my 3 cents.

They are all important. We spend too much time pointing out how much each series means to our chances of survival. Last time it was the Indians series and before that the West coast swing. Let's just win!

EMT, I agree. It is still too early and the Indians don´t really have the pitching or hitting to maintain this pace (But who really knows??). I think they should start to fold in June/July.

greg is being pessimistic and actually calling for Ozzie's head this year... man, I'm really surprised the world didn't end yesterday.

TBH, I agree with Greg in as much as we have a long way to go and would have called for Ozzie´s head during that brutal stretch not 2-3 weeks ago. But taking it one series at a time is the way to go. If Dunn can somehow get it going we should be competing in every series.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)

That's called a "magic number".....and it tends to happen around September, not May. :bringit

Getting to .500 is the main goal right now. Worrying about how far back they are in the loss column is a little premature. Eleven games back in the loss column at the end of July...well then we could worry some more.

:gosoxretro:

I posted a long time ago that the goal was to be 6 games below .500 heading into the DET series.

Even if we go 4-6 on this road trip, we have DET and then SEA at home and should be able to get to .500 or close to it around the All-Star break.

As long as Cleveland's not 22-26 games over .500, we should be okay.

EVEN THEN, we were 6 1/2 or 7 games back of the Royals at the 2003 ASB and made that up in about 2 weeks....both teams (Sox and Twins) did, in fact.

Edited by caulfield12

In 2005 the White Sox got off to great start and the Indians had a tremendous run but the lead was too big. Don't let them get too far ahead and make some mid-season moves to strengthen them.

Having said that, it is division games that will tell the tale and there are plenty of those left. Catch K.C. and then go Tiger hunting. We will relocate the Indians to their second place reservation when we get there.

A good road trip will help but a bad road trip could be disaster.

Edited by since56

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2011 -> 09:27 PM)
I still say looking only at the loss column is nuts. Those makeup games will be really tough on Cleveland. They're going to lose their rest for most of the 2nd half.

I think they have four games to make up which is a ton. That pitching staff is going to get beat up over that time.