Alexei Ramirez, maturing hitter

ILMOU

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
2nd highest WAR of any SS in baseball (behind Jose Reyes) at 2.0, tops in the AL (finished first in the AL last season). Alexei Ramirez is just a damn good baseball player.

Good thing we extended him.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember during the last Oakland series either Hawk or Stoney pointing out a discussion they had had with Kurt Suzuki. Apparently Suzuki feels that Alexei is one of the few guys in baseball that is making adjustments pitch to pitch rather than at-bat to at-bat. I think that's a pretty good compliment to receive from a solid catcher.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ May 23, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
I remember during the last Oakland series either Hawk or Stoney pointing out a discussion they had had with Kurt Suzuki. Apparently Suzuki feels that Alexei is one of the few guys in baseball that is making adjustments pitch to pitch rather than at-bat to at-bat. I think that's a pretty good compliment to receive from a solid catcher.

It seemed like he did a good job of that his rookie year. It hasn't really been apparent in the past two.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
2nd highest WAR of any SS in baseball (behind Jose Reyes) at 2.0, tops in the AL (finished first in the AL last season). Alexei Ramirez is just a damn good baseball player.

Dadgum right.

Viciedo is a guy, IMO, who is a smart hitter, and will learn to take the walks that pitchers want to give him, after they get a little taste, and a little frightened, of his awesomeness. I don't expect him to have a high OBP with the Sox right away, but I think it will happen with time. Many sluggers have followed such a path.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 23, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
Dadgum right.

Viciedo is a guy, IMO, who is a smart hitter, and will learn to take the walks that pitchers want to give him, after they get a little taste, and a little frightened, of his awesomeness. I don't expect him to have a high OBP with the Sox right away, but I think it will happen with time. Many sluggers have followed such a path.

Viciedo has more walks in 180 PAs this year than he had at Charlotte last year in 360 PAs.

Hes never going to be the Hurt, but what he needs is to be able to lay off pitches he can't hit. That's what pitchers figured out about him last august, he couldn't lay off a high and inside fastball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
Viciedo has more walks in 180 PAs this year than he had at Charlotte last year in 360 PAs.

Hes never going to be the Hurt, but what he needs is to be able to lay off pitches he can't hit. That's what pitchers figured out about him last august, he couldn't lay off a high and inside fastball.

Well, the high inside fastball is a good pitch to almost anyone when the pitcher locates it, and hopefully he learns to take the "balls" and lay off. If he can avoid the "dives" after away-breaking sliders from right handers I think he'll be OK. Seems to recognize pitches very well. Buddy Bell recently described him as a very serious hitter - I think that's what I've seen since his spring training AB's.

I don't like Ramirez or Beckham to have specific jobs to do at the plate. Both guys are at their best when they can relax and focus on driving the ball. Both are more suited to bat towards the bottom of the order.

Oh, and as far as Viciedo, his problem is that he's never seen a ball he thinks he can't hit. It's partially true, like a poor man's Vlad, but that approach doesn't bode well for long term success.

Edited by TaylorStSox

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 23, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
I don't like Ramirez or Beckham to have specific jobs to do at the plate. Both guys are at their best when they can relax and focus on driving the ball. Both are more suited to bat towards the bottom of the order.

Oh, and as far as Viciedo, his problem is that he's never seen a ball he thinks he can't hit. It's partially true, like a poor man's Vlad, but that approach doesn't bode well for long term success.

So I see you haven't bothered to keep up with Viciedo this year at all.

Not a Pierre fan, if Lexi leads off we would have the same fits we do with Pierre, Lexi swings at everything, he can't hit the first 5 weeks of the season, he ain't a leadoff hitter Period

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 23, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
Not a Pierre fan, if Lexi leads off we would have the same fits we do with Pierre, Lexi swings at everything, he can't hit the first 5 weeks of the season, he ain't a leadoff hitter Period

Again, did you also not watch the first 5 weeks of the season?

Still, I don't think he's a leadoff guy. A leadoff guy gets on, walks, makes the pitcher work, battles. That's my idea of a leadoff hitter, Lexi could develop into a good 6th hitter and RBI guy.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 23, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
Still, I don't think he's a leadoff guy. A leadoff guy gets on, walks, makes the pitcher work, battles. That's my idea of a leadoff hitter, Lexi could develop into a good 6th hitter and RBI guy.

Again, Obp around .350 this year. He's doing what you want.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 23, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)
Mature...

I hope so; he's almost 30 years old.

His problem is that he's just a poor base stealer and he can't bunt. That's not really a leadoff-type hitter.

Damn I didn't realize Lexi was that old.

I think Beckham should lead off.

We don't have a real leadoff hitter so let Gordon do it.

Juan should be traded for nothing if and when the firesale begins. You'd think somebody might want him.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 23, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)

eh who cares, hes only leading off the game in ONE at bat.. ide rather have the better players hitting in front of our power than having someone there who fits some nostalgic mold

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
So I see you haven't bothered to keep up with Viciedo this year at all.

I know he's showing improved discipline. My point, which I didn't explain well, was that he's a free swinger because he can be. He has the ability to drive balls out of the zone. Thus the Vlad comparison. However, generally, that approach doesn't bode well for long term success. I never said he couldn't address this issue. I'm a huge fan and think he has tremendous upside. The comparison's to Frank I find strange. The only things they have in common are being big and black. He's much more like Vlad IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)

Your learning grasshoppa... ;)