Shift Exchange website?

ChiliIrishHammock24

I can't figure out if I heard about this, or if it's just a good idea I conjured up at some point, but I am looking for a site for part-time jobs that allows the managers to upload the weekly shift schedules online, and allow employees to put shifts up to be taking, request to pick up shifts, or swap shifts. I work at a restaurant, and it would be very helpful for us to be able to not only see our schedules without having to go in on a day off, but also to swap shifts with people easily.

Anyone know if this site exists? I tried googling it, but to no avail.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 24, 2011 -> 02:29 AM)
I can't figure out if I heard about this, or if it's just a good idea I conjured up at some point, but I am looking for a site for part-time jobs that allows the managers to upload the weekly shift schedules online, and allow employees to put shifts up to be taking, request to pick up shifts, or swap shifts. I work at a restaurant, and it would be very helpful for us to be able to not only see our schedules without having to go in on a day off, but also to swap shifts with people easily.

Anyone know if this site exists? I tried googling it, but to no avail.

There is a software program called sharepoint that our company uses for employees to communicate online like that.

Otherwise, you could just have the restaurant start a facebook page and do it that way, perhaps?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 24, 2011 -> 03:43 AM)
There is a software program called sharepoint that our company uses for employees to communicate online like that.

Otherwise, you could just have the restaurant start a facebook page and do it that way, perhaps?

Or a google website, and create a google calendar that you can put on the website. Real easy to provision rights on it, super easy to build (even for those who hate technology), and free.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 24, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
Or a google website, and create a google calendar that you can put on the website. Real easy to provision rights on it, super easy to build (even for those who hate technology), and free.

This or facebook are the painfully obvious options.

when I was in college I managed a movie theater and me and the other managers HATED shift switching. Obviously we would prefer we had an employee there rather than an empty slot, but even jobs at movie theaters schedules were made so we had a balance of things employees were good at or to keep other employees away from other employees. Also, when dealing with part-time jobs it was obviously a lot of students or people with other jobs, so we highly encouraged employees to get us their needed times off and even would take calls while making the schedule, so when there were a ton of swaps it was annoying, again with the understanding of emergencies or last minute things popping up. A few people even stopped getting scheduled because if given 4 shifts a week all four would be swapped out.

Sorry, just pet peeve I had, any other managers experience this?

I remember when I worked retail if I had to switch with someone we always had to get approval from management first.

Typically everyone had a "regular" schedule so you more or less knew when you were going to be scheduled and could plan around it.

There were a few times at different jobs that we would get a new manager on a power trip and he would change the schedule around without telling anyone. So it got to the point where I worked the same days every single week and wouldn't even bother looking at the schedule. Then one day I show up and the manager says "You're not supposed to be here yet."

Well I've worked on this day at this time the entire time I've worked here. Thanks for letting me know jackass.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 24, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
when I was in college I managed a movie theater and me and the other managers HATED shift switching. Obviously we would prefer we had an employee there rather than an empty slot, but even jobs at movie theaters schedules were made so we had a balance of things employees were good at or to keep other employees away from other employees. Also, when dealing with part-time jobs it was obviously a lot of students or people with other jobs, so we highly encouraged employees to get us their needed times off and even would take calls while making the schedule, so when there were a ton of swaps it was annoying, again with the understanding of emergencies or last minute things popping up. A few people even stopped getting scheduled because if given 4 shifts a week all four would be swapped out.

Sorry, just pet peeve I had, any other managers experience this?

I'm a Dual Store Manager for a coffee chain and I schedule people at certain times for each of my locations for certain reasons, without a doubt. I have a Google Calendar set up to post schedules, see requests off or requests for more time, as well as requests for switching of shifts, which I have to approve before the switch is allowed. Last minute switching and requesting gets old and tiring when we have to change around schedules for two locations to keep quality people in at peak time. It's a pet peeve of mine as well, but I've pretty much filtered out anyone who had an excessive amount of requests in the past 3 months.

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 24, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
I remember when I worked retail if I had to switch with someone we always had to get approval from management first.

Typically everyone had a "regular" schedule so you more or less knew when you were going to be scheduled and could plan around it.

There were a few times at different jobs that we would get a new manager on a power trip and he would change the schedule around without telling anyone. So it got to the point where I worked the same days every single week and wouldn't even bother looking at the schedule. Then one day I show up and the manager says "You're not supposed to be here yet."

Well I've worked on this day at this time the entire time I've worked here. Thanks for letting me know jackass.

Communication with new management is always key.

Yea, I had a history with this manager from another store I worked at within the same company. We didn't exactly get along then either.

I had actually transferred out of the first store to follow another manager that I actually liked that had transferred over before me. It was night and day difference between the two managers.Then the manager I got along with got promoted and the one I didn't like took his place.

My current job uses yahoo groups for this. One of the managers scans and uploads the schedule to the website as a jpg image. And, as far as exchanging shifts, there's a message board type thing which can send all posts as emails to a yahoo account which can in turn be sent to any smartphone. There may be a site specifically oriented towards this kind of thing, but I've found yahoo groups to be immensely helpful.