Thornton tweaks slider

southsider2k5

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...ing-to-end.html

Thornton tweaks slider

Matt Thornton, who lost the closer’s role after four blown saves, has turned in five consecutive scoreless outings to lower his ERA to 5.93.

Thornton has modified his slider, going back to a harder, truer version from the slower, more curvy one he used to throw. He got a big strikeout against the Oakland Athletics’ David DeJesus with it, but his bread-and-butter pitch is still his

96 to 97 mph fastball.

‘‘It has a late cut when it’s right,’’ Thornton said. ‘‘Just a touch of cut where I get jams and broken bats. Hitters are geared up for a mid-90s fastball, and it cuts at the end. It’s a pretty tough pitch to handle.’’

Thornton got a two-inning save Sunday against the Los Angeles Dodgers and was ready to relieve Peavy last week, if needed. He said he’s comfortable anywhere from the seventh inning on.

‘‘People probably look and say, ‘He can’t handle the ninth inning,’  ’’ Thornton said. ‘‘That’s not the case at all. Sergio [santos] earned the right, and he’s got the majority of save opportunities. So be it. I haven’t lost confidence in myself.’’

I hope he's being honest when he says he hasn't lost his confidence. He just has never looked like the same guy to me in a save situation, even before this year in previous tries. When he's on he's one of the best 8th inning guys so let's hope we can continue to see the real MT the rest of the way here.