Payroll question

Bighurt52235

Why the hell does anyone care how much guys are making? Or what OPS you're getting for so many million dollars? You and I don't pay the salary, and there is no salary cap in baseball. We're not exactly handcuffed by Rios and Dunn's contracts. Sure, Rios is not exactly tradeable, but his salary doesn't prevent us from working with the 24 other active roster spots. What would be different if he were being paid $3 mil this year?

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ May 24, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
Why the hell does anyone care how much guys are making? Or what OPS you're getting for so many million dollars? You and I don't pay the salary, and there is no salary cap in baseball. We're not exactly handcuffed by Rios and Dunn's contracts. Sure, Rios is not exactly tradeable, but his salary doesn't prevent us from working with the 24 other active roster spots. What would be different if he were being paid $3 mil this year?

You obviously don't understand the business side of baseball, and trust me, it is a business through and through.

It's simple: there IS a salary cap in baseball in the form of a self appointed team budget. Every team has one and the fans generally have a pretty good idea of what the team is willing to spend, the Sox have been around $100M since 2006, all that changed this season with a jump to ~$120M but if this team bombs that payroll will be dropping next season. So basically people care because there's only so much money to go around and that money needs to be spent as efficiently as humanly possible.

And yeah, you load up your payroll with bad contracts and it will destroy your franchise with few exceptions.

Because every buck wasted on a bad player is one buck not being spent on good players.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 24, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
Because every buck wasted on a bad player is one buck not being spent on good players.

Bingo. Teams only have a finite amount of money to spend on a roster and if $30 million dollars are being paid to two players who can't hit at all this year, it becomes incredibly burdensome.

Tell Jerry Reinsdorf that.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ May 25, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
My point is, is that none of us are Jerry Reinsdorf. For example, I don't care if your cell phone bill is expensive, unless of course it prevents you from getting Netflix, (overpaid reliever), which I'm not sure that it would.

Weird post is weird.

My point is, is that none of us are Jerry Reinsdorf. For example, I don't care if your cell phone bill is expensive, unless of course it prevents you from getting Netflix, (overpaid reliever), which I'm not sure that it would.

If you do understand that it's a business, then you should understand that they can only spend so much on payroll. Thus, if they overspend on one person than it affects what they can do with the rest of the payroll. It's pretty simple cause and effect, and as a fan you should be concerned because it also is cause and effect on ticket prices, etc.

My cellphone doesn't affect your favorite sports team's ability to acquire players. Rios' and Dunn's contracts do.

Haha. I know it was a weird post. I like to say unconventional things. I just don't worry about other people's expenses, unless we're talking NBA. So far nobody has said what would be different this year if Rios was making $3 mil instead. Also, I can't fathom that if we run the parallel universe where everything was as it is now, only KW doesn't put in a claim on Rios, that 2011 Cell ticket prices would be different.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ May 25, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
Haha. I know it was a weird post. I like to say unconventional things. I just don't worry about other people's expenses, unless we're talking NBA. So far nobody has said what would be different this year if Rios was making $3 mil instead. Also, I can't fathom that if we run the parallel universe where everything was as it is now, only KW doesn't put in a claim on Rios, that 2011 Cell ticket prices would be different.

If Rios were making $3 million a year, we probably spend more money in the bullpen in the off-season. Maybe Putz is resigned, or someone else is brought in.

The business of business is making money, not winning championships. So if you truly want to cheer for the business side, cheer for profits, not wins.

It really would have sucked to find out the 2005 team lost money and I believe we all would be happier with a big profit and a second place finish than losing money.

While I understand the business side, I'm not going to care too much until they start reporting the team's results on the business page. I really can't care because a full statement is never given to the fans. So we're only guessing at what resources the team has. We can sit here and say that the contract to X is keeping the team from signing Y, but it is only a guess. It may be right, but we really do not know. Maybe the team could afford a $120M payroll this year, we have no objective proof.

Plus, going with the theory that the business of baseball is as important to the owners as results on the field, then maybe my exaggeration of second place and making money is better than winning and making a whole lot less is valid.

This is the only reason payroll ever crosses my mind. You're right though. I have a hard time believing that MLB ticket prices would decline if there was an overall decline in player salaries. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 25, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
This is the only reason payroll ever crosses my mind. You're right though. I have a hard time believing that MLB ticket prices would decline if there was an overall decline in player salaries. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

They may not decline, but if the Sox went back to an $80ish mill payroll I don't see the tickets rising in cost for a few years, so as to attract more people.

And really people, if you are concerned about personnel decisions in terms of who is on the team than you care about payroll, there's no way of getting around that.

If Rios was making $3 million instead, then he'd still be a member of the Toronto Blue Jays. The only reason they put him on waivers and let the Sox claim him was because his salary was so high.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 25, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
If Rios was making $3 million instead, then he'd still be a member of the Toronto Blue Jays. The only reason they put him on waivers and let the Sox claim him was because his salary was so high.

For a team that drafts so damn well, they make some very curious personnel decisions. The Wells and Rios contracts were albatrosses.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 25, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
For a team that drafts so damn well, they make some very curious personnel decisions. The Wells and Rios contracts were albatrosses.

And somehow, they got out of both of them before they got really bad. Then they signed Batista to a contract that looked risky last offseason...and bang.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 25, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)

Different GM, fwiw.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 25, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)

It is much easier to get rid of a guy making very little. They probably would have sent him packing quicker.