Payroll question

Bighurt52235

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
It is much easier to get rid of a guy making very little. They probably would have sent him packing quicker.

I disagree. If he was only making $3 million, they would have been more likely to let him stick around and see if he can work out of his long slump.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 25, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
I disagree. If he was only making $3 million, they would have been more likely to let him stick around and see if he can work out of his long slump.

He is also the easiest to get rid of. With the guy making a lot of money, he is much harder to trade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
Like Tony Pena?

You are actually making my point for me. They got rid of the cheap guy because it was easy. $3 million guys are easier to move than $12 million guys, just like it is easier to move a guy making $400,000 versus $3 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
You are actually making my point for me. They got rid of the cheap guy because it was easy. $3 million guys are easier to move than $12 million guys, just like it is easier to move a guy making $400,000 versus $3 million.

But similarly, cheap guys are easy to hold onto if you think they're just underperforming.

Hypothetically, if JR KNEW that giving away $160 million to a collection of ballplayers and coaches would guarantee a championship, he could do it. We just aren't absolutely capped. Now, if you're the Detroit Pistons and you give 90 million to Ben Gordon and Charlie V, then you're f***ed.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ May 25, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
Hypothetically, if JR KNEW that giving away $160 million to a collection of ballplayers and coaches would guarantee a championship, he could do it. We just aren't absolutely capped. Now, if you're the Detroit Pistons and you give 90 million to Ben Gordon and Charlie V, then you're f***ed.

Realistically he couldn't. It isn't his money. He doesn't own the team outright, or own even a majority share of it. Jerry isn't even the biggest ownership share of the team.

QUOTE (Bighurt52235 @ May 25, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)

The difference is...he could really only do that for 1 year, because even in the event of a world series win he'd be losing significant chunks of money on that deal. He'd have to do a Marlins-style selloff or end up in a hole like the Mets.