Sox at Texas series finale May 25 Game Thread

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
It's not and likely won't be again this year.

Seems like we missed out on a golden chance to get some more talent into the organization, but the hesitancy with Peavy's injury makes sense.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
Man, how f***ing hilarious (and fitting) would it be if Dunn had his first season without hitting 35+ homers... with the Sox???

It would not be hilarious, but I swear that's just how it f***ing goes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
It's not and likely won't be again this year.

Why, there's been no deterioration in his stuff.

He's simply been a hard luck pitcher almost his entire career with the White Sox. I remember not so long ago quite a significant number of posters feeling we should sign Danks for anywhere from $75-100 million for 5 years, etc. Top 3-5 young lefties in the game after Sabathia and Lester, etc.

You're telling me MLB GM's won't give up much now simply because he's pitching for one of the worst offenses in the majors in terms of run support when he pitches?

I'm not buying that at all.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
Seems like we missed out on a golden chance to get some more talent into the organization, but the hesitancy with Peavy's injury makes sense.

If we were trading John Danks for more talent, then it made no sense to retain Konerko and others.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Why, there's been no deterioration in his stuff.

He's simply been a hard luck pitcher almost his entire career with the White Sox. I remember not so long ago quite a significant number of posters feeling we should sign Danks for anywhere from $75-100 million for 5 years, etc.

You're telling me MLB GM's won't give up much now simply because he's pitching for one of the worst offenses in the majors in terms of run support when he pitches?

I'm not buying that at all.

Indeed. Danks is still quite desirable. Rosenthal was going on about it yesterday on the radio.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2011 -> 09:08 PM)
If we were trading John Danks for more talent, then it made no sense to retain Konerko and others.

The one thing I'll never understand is how Kenny made that Hudson/Jackson trade looking at our possible starting rotation for 2012. We're looking at a very expensive rotation with still a few holes.

Indeed. Danks is still quite desirable. Rosenthal was going on about it yesterday on the radio.

I gotta believe that is the truth. You have to look at the individual. If this wasn't the case, the Cy Young winner would have been someone else last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
The one thing I'll never understand is how Kenny made that Hudson/Jackson trade looking at our possible starting rotation for 2012. We're looking at a very expensive rotation with still a few holes.

Since when has Kenny worried about the future? Win now!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)

If we do get rid of Buehrle, either through mid-season trade or not re-signing him, the presence of Konerko does very little for me.

They might as well just stick Viciedo out there and let him learn. (Rios, Dunn and Peavy all need to be ditched eventually as well, in that scenario).

Because by the time the team is able to contend again, there's just no way Paulie could STILL be putting up the same numbers he's had for 8 months on a very consistent basis.

They're going to take a huge PR hit anyway...fans are already hesistant to support this team, so they should just get it over all at one time instead of in "phases."

Realistically who thought we'd be able to take 2 of 3 in Texas anyways? Usually we get swept. Toronto doesn't usually bode well for us either- if we can get through this road trip somehow around 4-5 I don't think it's time to throw in the towel just yet. We can always wait till the trade deadline when teams get more desperate to trade away the pieces at that point as well. But as stated there is a lot of baggage with a lot of our guys whether it be contracts or 10 and 5 guys that won't be easy to get rid of at a premium price. It's almost like we're all in...literally.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
Since when has Kenny worried about the future? Win now!

Because he had Humber and Peavy...joking!

There's no way anybody in baseball could have confidently predicted how either one of these two guys would have fared coming into 2011.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 25, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
Realistically who thought we'd be able to take 2 of 3 in Texas anyways? Usually we get swept. Toronto doesn't usually bode well for us either- if we can get through this road trip somehow around 4-5 I don't think it's time to throw in the towel just yet. We can always wait till the trade deadline when teams get more desperate to trade away the pieces at that point as well. But as stated there is a lot of baggage with a lot of our guys whether it be contracts or 10 and 5 guys that won't be easy to get rid of at a premium price. It's almost like we're all in...literally.

Good post. I fully expected a Texas sweep. I agree with your post though.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 25, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)

We are in it to win it

I have to think if Dunn continues this slump, you may figure an NL team will still want him. I don't think it's necessarily a coincidence his first year in the AL he isn't at all on pace for a usual Dunn year. Should we take the appendectomy into account? lol.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)

1-2 out of the way, but I'm pretty sure we have FOUR in Toronto and then 3 in BOSTON.

Then the telling series of the year, DET, a team we haven't beaten at all, let alone at home....and the Mariners, who we probably need to sweep if we can avoid getting Pineda or Felix lined up against us.

2-5 puts on the brink of full firesale talk again.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
I have to think if Dunn continues this slump, you may figure an NL team will still want him. I don't think it's necessarily a coincidence his first year in the AL he isn't at all on pace for a usual Dunn year. Should we take the appendectomy into account? lol.

Adrian Gonzalez definitely needed time for adjustment. Well, 2-3 weeks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
If we do get rid of Buehrle, either through mid-season trade or not re-signing him, the presence of Konerko does very little for me.

They might as well just stick Viciedo out there and let him learn. (Rios, Dunn and Peavy all need to be ditched eventually as well, in that scenario).

Because by the time the team is able to contend again, there's just no way Paulie could STILL be putting up the same numbers he's had for 8 months on a very consistent basis.

They're going to take a huge PR hit anyway...fans are already hesistant to support this team, so they should just get it over all at one time instead of in "phases."

Once again we talk of trading players who are producing for us. I understand the argument is to trade those who might bring in young talent, but then we have young talent-maybe not major league ready-and mesh them with the non-producers and we suck worse then we do now. Trade the non-producers, whoever they may be. I am not buying into the "free up money" stuff either. We might have a player or two (Viciedo for one) ready at the minor league level and you can trade a position player or two and bring him up plus maybe find a relief pitcher to help out. I don't know what the pieces are at this point as the guilty paerties seem to change from game to game, but I don't think Paul Konerko, Carlos Quentin or Buerhle are the problem

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Once again we talk of trading players who are producing for us. I understand the argument is to trade those who might bring in young talent, but then we have young talent-maybe not major league ready-and mesh them with the non-producers and we suck worse then we do now. Trade the non-producers, whoever they may be. I am not buying into the "free up money" stuff either. We might have a player or two (Viciedo for one) ready at the minor league level and you can trade a position player or two and bring him up plus maybe find a relief pitcher to help out. I don't know what the pieces are at this point as the guilty paerties seem to change from game to game, but I don't think Paul Konerko, Carlos Quentin or Buerhle are the problem

I agree, let's trade Juan Pierre

IMO this is on Kenny because he's gotten us a lot of attractive pieces but with many of them not doing jack squat and NO ONE in the farm system... assuming the Sox don't pick it up and win this division we have a lose-lose; A bunch of overpayed hacks likely no one will want and no one to replace them in the minors. Should we even actually GET some young talent in a proposed firesale it couldn't be much, and then what's left? If we sell the ones who are producing we have a complete s*** team; if we sell the ones who aren't we won't get a whole lot back and we really don't look any better on paper... all this while still having the same farm system dilemma unless we somehow magically turn wine (whatever meh prospects we get back in proposed firesale) into gold. I don't see that happening and I don't see it being a good risk.

We're f***ed if this team can't produce, hence, "All In." Hell, look at THIS year; what would we do should (God forbid) more than one major player (i.e. Paulie, Dunn, Quentin, etc.) goes down? Viciedo is our only piece and realistically he should be here already.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)

I'm not going to disagree.

Timing the decline of any contributing player is close to impossible. If we all had magic 8 balls, we would have foreseen injuries or non productivity from Jenks and Crede and gotten something good in return a long time before each of them became totally worthless to our organization.

Or not traded for Peavy in the first place because of the inherent risk in acquiring someone with that contract who was already injured at the time of the trade.

I think it's simply watching the price and then return/s for players like Swisher and Javy that have quite a few of us nervous what will come next.

I really wonder if there were any other teams in MLB interested in Juan Pierre, AJ, Alex Rios, Mark Teahen and Adam Dunn at the prices we paid for them. If so, I'd be curious exactly who they are/were.