The Ghost of Jim Thome is Killing Us

Jerksticks

Anybody on this team that also played on a Sox team with Thome should be traded immediately. I'm so sick of watching all these guys do the Thome: You know, close your eyes and swing hard as f*** at everything.

We've been all or nothing for so long I can't even remember what team baseball looks like. Thanks Jim. Your poison still remains, potent as ever...sucking the soul out of once line-drive hitters. Even poor young Beckham has a BS pull swing now.

It's too bad Ozzie is gonna take the blame for all the long swings.

The ghost of Jim Thome? That's a new one. lol. All Jim Thome did was sport a wOBA of .393 and provide 11 WAR in his time in Chicago. Which is pretty good considering he obviously didn't play the field. This offense doesn't suck because a HOF was great at what he was supposed to do. Probably cost us a playoff appearance last year in not having him.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
The ghost of Jim Thome? That's a new one. lol. All Jim Thome did was sport a wOBA of .393 and provide 11 WAR in his time in Chicago. Which is pretty good considering he obviously didn't play the field. This offense doesn't suck because a HOF was great at what he was supposed to do. Probably cost us a playoff appearance last year in not having him.

Plus that moonshot he hit against Thornton last year gave the Twins a shot in the arm.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 25, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
Anybody on this team that also played on a Sox team with Thome should be traded immediately. I'm so sick of watching all these guys do the Thome: You know, close your eyes and swing hard as f*** at everything.

We've been all or nothing for so long I can't even remember what team baseball looks like. Thanks Jim. Your poison still remains, potent as ever...sucking the soul out of once line-drive hitters. Even poor young Beckham has a BS pull swing now.

:lolhitting

...you're joking, right?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)

All true. But those stats don't paint the whole picture...and the whole picture sucks. Allow me to throw the other paint on our masterpiece:

All the 0-fer nights

All the ground balls

Basically anything that wasn't a HR or a laserbeam double was an out

3 hits to knock in his glorious, stat-padding walks

All those f***ing Ks

Useless against lefties

A great stat-padding night once a week to make you forget all the previous failure.

Any parallels to this year's DH? I mean we all knew Dunn was gonna be the same all or nothing hitter that Thome was, but now it seems everybody but Paulie suffers from Thomeitis, pullitis, longswingitis, uselessitis...whatever you wanna call it.

It only wins ball games some of the time, but in no way is it a model for grinding down pitchers each night. Been goin on for way too long now so I'm all in favor of moving the fences back at least 100 ft in every direction til we pull our heads outa our asses and rid ourselves of this awful ghost.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:29 AM)
All true. But those stats don't paint the whole picture...and the whole picture sucks. Allow me to throw the other paint on our masterpiece:

All the 0-fer nights

All the ground balls

All those f***ing Ks

Useless against lefties

A great stat-padding night once a week to make you forget all the previous failure.

Any parallels to this year's DH? I mean we all knew Dunn was gonna be the same all or nothing hitter that Thome was, but now it seems everybody but Paulie suffers from Thomeitis, pullitis, longswingitis, uselessitis...whatever you wanna call it.

It only wins ball games some of the time, but in no way is it a model for grinding down pitchers each night. Been goin on for way too long now so I'm all in favor of moving the fences back at least 100 ft in every direction til we pull our heads outa our asses and rid ourselves of this awful ghost.

That's an interesting post. I never believed Thome was the difference for not winning the division last year. Sure he was better than Kotsay. I read an article last year that his plate appearances was also limited to the weather because of his back. The real ghost is laying down to the Twins after the break and losing to the Kansas City's of the world. This has been going on since the turn of the century. It's the same choking in the clutch under 2 managers and different rosters. Teahan was suppose to help the line up last season as well. Howz that workin? I'm all for the DH to be removed from baseball.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 25, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)

Yes. Let's blame Jim Thome and not our hitting coach.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 26, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Oh how quickly people forget about game 163 when they're still riding the coat tails of 2005.

Na, just another reason people grasp to turn a blind-eye to his overall uselessness. I don't care if it was one of the greatest hits this team has ever seen. It's still bad baseball, and in this newly formed pitcher's era, it ain't gonna fly.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 26, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
Na, just another reason people grasp to turn a blind-eye to his overall uselessness. I don't care if it was one of the greatest hits this team has ever seen. It's still bad baseball, and in this newly formed pitcher's era, it ain't gonna fly.

Hitting home runs isn't good baseball? Tell me how that works again?

529 G .265 BA 134 HR 369 RBI .391 OBP .542 SLG .933 OPS 138 OPS+ in 4 seasons.

If that is useless, I want a whole team of useless. If this really is a new "pitcher's era" hitting becomes more important, not less, because it is harder to replace.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)

If that is useless, I want a whole team of useless. If this really is a new "pitcher's era" hitting becomes more important, not less, because it is harder to replace.

That's too much production, it's useless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)

Jim Thome clogs up the basepaths.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:29 AM)

All the 0-fer nights

All the ground balls

All those f***ing Ks

Useless against lefties

Do you have a counter for all of these things? Because it's obvious you forgot to do some fact checking.

Thome hit as many grounders as he hit fly balls in his career and the trend was generally the same his time here in Chicago. You made it sound like grounds into more double plays than Konerko, but he had seasons of 4, 10, 18, and 8 GIDPs from 2006 to 2009. Konerko during that time? 25, 21, 17, and 15.

Singles accounted for 52% of Thome's hits while he was here in Chicago. So basically, he hit more singles than home runs and doubles combined.

Thome didn't pull the ball all the time. In fact, he had more hits to center and left field (291) than he had to right field (183) during his stint with the Sox.

Thome's numbers with RISP:

2006: .339

2007: .313

2008: .306

2009: .253

He's not the reason the Sox pitchers faltered in 06 during the second half of the season. He's not the reason why the bullpen blew up in 07. He was part of the reason why the White Sox won the 2008 division title. He was not the reason the White Sox choked in 09. You can think whatever you like, but there's nothing wrong with having a hitter who can only hit for power and draw walks. Jim Thome is a Hall of Famer who produced very well for the Sox, you can't blame him for his teammates' failures.

Edited by chw42

So let me get this straight, you want less offense in a more pitcher oriented league? :lolhitting

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 26, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Hitting home runs isn't good baseball? Tell me how that works again?

It kills rallies and it pads stats. :headbang

If this thread is trying to draw a parallel between Dunn and Thome, then it's the wrong topic to go at.

Thome has never been as bad as Dunn has been this year. The problem with Dunn isn't that he's an all-or-nothing hitter this year, it's because he's terrible and in a huge slump that pretty much nobody saw coming. A guy who puts up consistent 35+ HR seasons hitting like Mark Kotsay all of a sudden is unprecedented to say the least.

Edited by chw42

I don't want to get into a personal argument, but if you think the guy with the eighth most home runs in the entire history of the sport is useless, then you're not worth arguing with.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 26, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Do you have a counter for all of these things? Because it's obvious you forgot to do some fact checking.

Thome hit as many grounders as he hit fly balls in his career and the trend was generally the same his time here in Chicago. You made it sound like grounds into more double plays than Konerko, but he had seasons of 4, 10, 18, and 8 GIDPs from 2006 to 2009. Konerko during that time? 25, 21, 17, and 15.

Singles accounted for 52% of Thome's hits while he was here in Chicago. So basically, he hit more singles than home runs and doubles combined.

Thome didn't pull the ball all the time. In fact, he had more hits to center and left field (291) than he had to right field (183) during his stint with the Sox.

Thome's numbers with RISP:

2006: .339

2007: .313

2008: .306

2009: .253

He's not the reason the Sox pitchers faltered in 06 during the second half of the season. He's not the reason why the bullpen blew up in 07. He was part of the reason why the White Sox won the 2008 division title. He was not the reason the White Sox choked in 09. You can think whatever you like, but there's nothing wrong with having a hitter who can only hit for power and draw walks. Jim Thome is a Hall of Famer who produced very well for the Sox, you can't blame him for his teammates' failures.

Demolished.