5.25 games

bighurt4life

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 25, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
Former Sox farmhand David Cook is back from the dead and playing for Carolina now.

Mentioned that two weeks ago when they were in town to play the Barons, I asked him to hit a homer for me and he did.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 25, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
Nice game for Mitchell, 3-4, double, homer, bb, 3 rbis

Noticed that he only has 4 SB and 4 CS.

Is he not 100% confident yet with his ankle or he simply hasn't learned basestealing techniques (ala Willie Harris)?

Pretty unusual for someone that athletic in A ball not to have at least 8-10 steals at this point in the season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2011 -> 02:36 AM)

Is he not 100% confident yet with his ankle or he simply hasn't learned basestealing techniques (ala Willie Harris)?

Pretty unusual for someone that athletic in A ball not to have at least 8-10 steals at this point in the season.

He's probably still getting his feet under him. I'm more concerned with his bat at this point, and I think and hope the Sox are too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 26, 2011 -> 03:49 AM)
He's probably still getting his feet under him. I'm more concerned with his bat at this point, and I think and hope the Sox are too.

Yes, otherwise we'd just sign Willie Mays Hays, Bullet Bob Hayes, Renaldo Nehemiah, Michael Johnson, Usain Bolt and Joey Gathright.

Still, when he was drafted, I had the feeling that he was looked at as the heir apparent in LF for Pierre and a future leadoff hitter/igniter in the Crawford mode. You know how Ozzie loves the 30+ SB type guys.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 26, 2011 -> 07:28 AM)
Brandon Short loves hitting streaks. 26 game last year, and I believe he's at 18 this year.

I also noticed he has played CF and is stealing some bases this year. I wonder how he rates as a CF. He certainly needs a better eye at the plate, but he's at least someone fun to watch at 22 in AA.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 26, 2011 -> 07:28 AM)
Brandon Short loves hitting streaks. 26 game last year, and I believe he's at 18 this year.

I count 16. Either way, good to see him doing well. He really struggled in April.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2011 -> 04:57 AM)
Yes, otherwise we'd just sign Willie Mays Hays, Bullet Bob Hayes, Renaldo Nehemiah, Michael Johnson, Usain Bolt and Joey Gathright.

Still, when he was drafted, I had the feeling that he was looked at as the heir apparent in LF for Pierre and a future leadoff hitter/igniter in the Crawford mode. You know how Ozzie loves the 30+ SB type guys.

I think he will steal eventually once he gains confidence with the bat. Get him going offensively before you try to mess with his game. Relatively speaking, it doesn't take long to learn how to steal bases. Shane Victorino worked with Davey Lopes, who is one of the best in the game, but he went from bad to good in about a year's time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 26, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
You've got Short and Kuhn in the B-Ham lineup.... and you STILL lead off with KW Jr? Seriously?

And he'll continue to as long as he's not on the DL. Hate to be a broken record, but imagine paying to see it.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
And he'll continue to as long as he's not on the DL. Hate to be a broken record, but imagine paying to see it.

Well, at least you're not paying Chicago prices!

Do you have to pay much for parking now at AA games or you can still park mostly for free?

I can just imagine the Barons' front office being inundated with irate fans requesting more David Cook or Maurice Gartrell at-bats and that KWJR should be benched or moved out of leadoff spot. Sounds a lot like the problem with the major league team, favoritism/nepotism for both Pierre and KW's son that seems unexplainable.

Isn't he at least a step up from Josh Shaffer or Ozzie's son, though?

I mean, he did play for one of the storied collegiate baseball programs in NCAA history.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
Well, at least you're not paying Chicago prices!

Do you have to pay much for parking now at AA games or you can still park mostly for free?

I can just imagine the Barons' front office being inundated with irate fans requesting more David Cook or Maurice Gartrell at-bats and that KWJR should be benched or moved out of leadoff spot. Sounds a lot like the problem with the major league team, favoritism/nepotism for both Pierre and KW's son that seems unexplainable.

Isn't he at least a step up from Josh Shaffer or Ozzie's son, though?

I mean, he did play for one of the storied collegiate baseball programs in NCAA history.

Parking is never free, I pay $105 for a full season parking pass for the "A" lot. The Barons front office has no control over player personnel. Plus, most people don't realize the connection. I think he was the 4th outfielder at Wichita State for 4 years. No, he's much worse.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:36 AM)

I'm pretty sure the Sox are basically not having him run. Usually talented speed prospects aren't asked to steal a ton at the lower levels as a team doesn't want to risk various injuries with them stealing bases. They rather they would focus on there swings, hits, etc. Usually once they get to the higher levels they'll put more of a focus on in-game stealing. There are exceptions to this rule though.