Why not? The official "Alex Rios Sucks" Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 26, 2011 -> 10:42 PM)
Even when he has an 11-game hitting streak and he hits a GW two-run single in the 9th to break a 1-1 tie? Just asking?

Pierre has been coming around lately, its time to leave him alone and focus all of our hate on Mr. Sombrero

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Toronto's GM, J.P. Riccardi, just let the Sox take Rios and his contract, I was elated.

Now I think most of us think that K. W. probably did the Blue Jays a big favor.

His contract runs all the way to 2015 when a 13.5 million dollar option, or a 1 million dollar buyout, would complete this horrible deal.

In the meantime, he will cost the Sox about $12.5 million a year.

For my part, I've seen enough. The end of 2009, the second half of last year, and this horrendous start tell me that he is not worth $12 million now, and I doubt that he will be any better as that contract matures. He has pretty much gone down hill since the promising beginning of his career, and at 30, I doubt he will improve much from here.

I wonder if the Yankees are desparate enough for pitching that they might agree to a swap of Granderson for Rios, if the Sox included Jackson.

The Yankees would acquire a centerfielder to replace Granderson, and they would fill one of their big holes in the starting rotation.

I understand that Granderson will probably not continue to hit homers at his current pace, but he is a left handed bat, and could either lead off, or bat in the middle of the order, providing the left handed presence that Dunn was supposed to give the Sox. Moreover, his contract is shorter, which I personally like.

Then all they would have to do is find a way to get rid of Dunn's horrible contract, and his unbelievably bad performance in the A. L.

What National League team is desparate enough for power and has anything the Sox could use? If there is such a potential deal out there, please Kenny, put us all out of our misery!!

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 27, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
When Toronto's GM, Rizzo, just let the Sox take Rios and his contract, I was elated.

Now I think most of us think that K. W. probably did the Blue Jays a big favor.

His contract runs all the way to 2015 when a 13.5 million dollar option, or a 1 million dollar buyout, would complete this horrible deal.

In the meantime, he will cost the Sox about $12.5 million a year.

For my part, I've seen enough. The end of 2009, the second half of last year, and this horrendous start tell me that he is not worth $12 million now, and I doubt that he will be any better as that contract matures. He has pretty much gone down hill since the promising beginning of his career, and at 30, I doubt he will improve much from here.

I wonder if the Yankees are desparate enough for pitching that they might agree to a swap of Granderson for Rios, if the Sox included Jackson.

The Yankees would acquire a centerfielder to replace Granderson, and they would fill one of their big holes in the starting rotation.

I understand that Granderson will probably not continue to hit homers at his current pace, but he is a left handed bat, and could either lead off, or bat in the middle of the order, providing the left handed presence that Dunn was supposed to give the Sox. Moreover, his contract is shorter, which I personally like.

Then all they would have to do is find a way to get rid of Dunn's horrible contract, and his unbelievably bad performance in the A. L.

What National League team is desparate enough for power and has anything the Sox could use? If there is such a potential deal out there, please Kenny, put us all out of our misery!!

I think you meant J.P. Riccardi. Not Mike Rizzo.

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Rios' rankings among 25 other every day CFs with the required plate appearances in these categories:

BA: last

OBP: last

SLG%: last

OPS: last

wOBA: last

WAR: last

Yes, Alex Rios has easily been the worst CF in the game of baseball. Your eyes do not deceive you. He's terrible. But he is making $12 million bucks.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 06:23 AM)
Alex Rios' rankings among 25 other every day CFs with the required plate appearances in these categories:

BA: last

OBP: last

SLG%: last

OPS: last

wOBA: last

WAR: last

Yes, Alex Rios has easily been the worst CF in the game of baseball. Your eyes do not deceive you. He's terrible. But he is making $12 million bucks.

Wow. That is flat out embarrassing! To be ranked dead last in every one of those categories. What does it take to get him out of the lineup? Who cares how much he's making. That the Sox have so much invested in the worthless bum shouldn't be the reason why he is the starting CF. It's unfortunate that Kenny made a mistake with Rios. But dump his sorry ass and move on. ANYONE else in CF should be an improvement. I don't care if it's Lastings Milledge. Rios is giving the White Sox NOTHING and unfortunately it's not a new situation but has been going on for quite awhile....enough already.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
For non pitchers, is it safe to say Rios has one of the top 5 immovable contracts?

right now absolutely. Chicago has two of them with Soriano and Rios.

I really want to go the Sox game and make a sign saying something to the effect of Dunn/Rios, are you eligible for returns? Or refunds? Something like that.

You think those guys have hit rock bottom, but then they continue to plummet further down. We have $24.5 million tied to two guys whom any replacement player could outproduce. That's embarrassing.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
right now absolutely. Chicago has two of them with Soriano and Rios.

While Soriano is obviously overpaid and sucks defensively, he at least has been above an .800 OPS all his years with the Cubs but one. Obviously that doesn't justify his long-term deal at an incredibly high amount, but he still has been a productive offensive player.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
While Soriano is obviously overpaid and sucks defensively, he at least has been above an .800 OPS all his years with the Cubs but one. Obviously that doesn't justify his long-term deal at an incredibly high amount, but he still has been a productive offensive player.

He is an extremely streaky offensive player, good and bad. Yes, he produces much better than Rios, but when he is on a cold streak, his defense makes him just as worthless. At least with Rios he still is a very good defensive player.

They are kind of Yin and Yang, when you think about it

We're going to be OK if we have the usual Alex defense, and offensively if the current Gordon and Morel stay around for a bit. That'll be enough for the bottom of the lineup.

Of course working in Lillibridge - no problem at all with that. But Rios' sense of entitlement and track record for pouting is going to prevent a benching, I think we all sense that.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
Rios defense is slipping as well. He has looked about average out there and made some bad plays.

Haven't checked his UZR recently, but the eye test tells me this as well. Perhaps he's taking some of his frustration from the plate out into the field.

IIRC, and maybe I'm thinking of another player, but didn't Rios have a problem with his vision some time ago. It looks to me like he still does. His pitch selection is horrible - how many center-cut first-pitch cookies does this guy take per game? And what else could he possibly be looking for? Doesn't seem to recognize anything. He also seems rather "squinty".

Just an observation, maybe it's nothing.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
I really gave this guy a chance. I mean he's built to succeed. He just strikes me as an athlete who is happy to collect his paycheck and doesn't care much about winning, etc.

Bingo.

Unfortunately Kenny apparently doesn't care about guy's reputations when they join his team.

It was a horrible acquisition.

He's Jose Guillen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 12:09 AM)
Bingo.

Unfortunately Kenny apparently doesn't care about guy's reputations when they join his team.

It was a horrible acquisition.

He's Jose Guillen.

Jose Guillen? That might be the most inapt comparison I've ever heard, unless you are alleging Rios is a juicer.