5/29 at Blue Jays

flavum

ok so since most people say ozzie should be gone, are there even any better options out there? who should the sox replace him with? joey cora? some no name like quade? thats all i want to know;who

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
First of all, settle down. Second of all, go call your best buddy naive. I am not naive.

I gave credit to the Red Sox, Braves and Phillies. And I don't believe I was mocking anyone. I was merely pointing out that you love everyone else's players but not ours. Matt Joyce? Why does Matt Joyce get a pass but Phil Humber does not? Why is there a double standard with White Sox players? Maybe because you see them all the time?

None of those lists are really blowing away the list Kenny can put on his resume. He's built 3/5 of a rotation from nothing. We can only add so many players to the roster, J4L. If we still have these guys under team control and they are above average major league starters we can't very well fit more people on the MLB roster at any given time.

Let's face it, outside of the Phillies/Red Sox/Braves, you can't really name any team outside of the Yankees who has had more sustained success than the White Sox over KW's tenure. There have only been 9 organizations that have won a World Series title since KW took over. His organization is amongst them. For all your Dodgers/Angels/Twins/Rangers/Rockies/Braves/Rays talk, not one of those franchises has won anything more than the White Sox have.

You love young players. Face it. You'd rather watch the Royals with a bunch of "could be's" any day of the week than our club. And that's fine. But you may want to switch allegiances if that is how you truly feel, because it causes you to be completely blind and impartial. Now I may be a homer, but you're the anti-homer.

It still doesn't make KW bad at his job. It makes you a fantasy baseball fan though.

Could you honestly say that you would equate success of the 1994-2001 Indians with the 2000-2008 White Sox because despite all those playoff appearances, they didn't win a World Series once? Or the Braves for about 13-14 years, because of only one title? Or the Angels, etc.? (I'm not going to compare us to NYY, BOS and now Philadelphia, although I'm sure many would argue that in our market there's no reason for us NOT to have similar success as the Phillies).

Outside of 2008, would you say Ozzie and KW have done a good job in 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011?

And if you realistically look at 2008, it's not that we were anything close to a "great team" that year, we survived to get to the post-season (and Carlos' season-ending injury) 33% due to the Twins' collapse down the stretch, 33% due to a coinflip and 33% due to getting on that mini-roll the final stretch of games where they were all "do or die."

Even the Twins' system hits a snag when allocating so much of the payroll to Mauer, Morneau, Pavano, Nathan and Cuddyer results in all of those players underperforming and the lack of fiscal flexibility forcing them to give up their entire bullpen and middle infield. However, as an objective fan, it's hard to argue the Sox have been more successful than us over the last decade. That whole argument is based on one stretch of 9 months of play and the coinflip/Game 163.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
Could you honestly say that you would equate success of the 1994-2001 Indians with the 2000-2008 White Sox because despite all those playoff appearances, they didn't win a World Series once? Or the Braves for about 13-14 years, because of only one title? Or the Angels, etc.? (I'm not going to compare us to NYY, BOS and now Philadelphia, although I'm sure many would argue that in our market there's no reason for us NOT to have similar success as the Phillies).

Outside of 2008, would you say Ozzie and KW have done a good job in 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011?

And if you realistically look at 2008, it's not that we were anything close to a "great team" that year, we survived to get to the post-season (and Carlos' season-ending injury) 33% due to the Twins' collapse down the stretch, 33% due to a coinflip and 33% due to getting on that mini-roll the final stretch of games where they were all "do or die."

Even the Twins' system hits a snag when allocating so much of the payroll to Mauer, Morneau, Pavano, Nathan and Cuddyer results in all of those players underperforming and the lack of fiscal flexibility forcing them to give up their entire bullpen and middle infield. However, as an objective fan, it's hard to argue the Sox have been more successful than us over the last decade. That whole argument is based on one stretch of 9 months of play and the coinflip/Game 163.

I'm sorry, I was unaware Kenny was our GM during the 1990s.

Secondly, I think he deserves a little credit for 2006.

And I am sick of this coin flip bulls***. We won the game. Get over it.

And yes, I think Kenny did a great job in 04/05/06/08/10/11.

The execution has to occur on the field.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ May 30, 2011 -> 03:06 AM)
ok so since most people say ozzie should be gone, are there even any better options out there? who should the sox replace him with? joey cora? some no name like quade? thats all i want to know;who

a.) Joe Torre. Beg him to take over for 2 years.

b.) A similarly old guy who knows baseball. Maybe even Piniella. After Ozzie we'll need the mean old guy who hates the media and all that.

c.) Ryne Sandberg. Why not? He's very very dull in interviews, very different from Oz.

I actually would be OK with canning Kenny and keeping Ozzie. Kenny's made too many personnel mistakes to continue on.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
a.) Joe Torre. Beg him to take over for 2 years.

b.) A similarly old guy who knows baseball. Maybe even Piniella. After Ozzie we'll need the mean old guy who hates the media and all that.

c.) Ryne Sandberg. Why not? He's very very dull in interviews, very different from Oz.

I actually would be OK with canning Kenny and keeping Ozzie. Kenny's made too many personnel mistakes to continue on.

OK, step away from the crack. Pinella? He did a horrible job in Chicago. There is some criticism in his first year he thought the talent was good enough so he didn't have to manage. Surprise! Surprise!

This might as well be an "anybody but Ozzie statement".

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 30, 2011 -> 03:33 AM)
OK, step away from the crack. Pinella? He did a horrible job in Chicago. There is some criticism in his first year he thought the talent was good enough so he didn't have to manage. Surprise! Surprise!

This might as well be an "anybody but Ozzie statement".

What's wrong with Piniella? Erase the Cubs disaster and go by his body of work in the AL.

What would be wrong with Sandberg? He's very very quiet and dull, just what we need after Ozzie.

And Joe Torre. He is the answer. I'd bring him in for the Boston series. Three more losses and this road trip was a horrible disaster.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
What's wrong with Piniella? Erase the Cubs disaster and go by his body of work in the AL.

What would be wrong with Sandberg? He's very very quiet and dull, just what we need after Ozzie.

And Joe Torre. He is the answer. I'd bring him in for the Boston series. Three more losses and this road trip was a horrible disaster.

Pinella/Torre are crusty old farts who are done. What's your fascination with Sandberg?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2011 -> 05:00 AM)
Pinella/Torre are crusty old farts who are done. What's your fascination with Sandberg?

If we want a young hot shot personality we keep Ozzie.

If we want to go back to old school baseball, we need an old codger like Torre/Lou.

Sandberg is best of both worlds. Young n dull.