Hector Santiago learned a new pitch

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/ar...rtnerId=rss_cws

Apparently he learned a screwball in the offseason, and that has been a factor in his dominance. He also credited Phegley's gamecalling by saying that being in AA has been great because he hasn't had to shake off Phegley in either of his two starts yet.

How many MLB players even throw a screwball? Seems like a very rare pitch, I'm excited to see Santiago progress this season and maybe get a chance to see him next spring training.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 31, 2011 -> 02:30 AM)
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/ar...rtnerId=rss_cws

Apparently he learned a screwball in the offseason, and that has been a factor in his dominance. He also credited Phegley's gamecalling by saying that being in AA has been great because he hasn't had to shake off Phegley in either of his two starts yet.

How many MLB players even throw a screwball? Seems like a very rare pitch, I'm excited to see Santiago progress this season and maybe get a chance to see him next spring training.

I guess that's what I thought was a curveball he was throwing last night. It has some nice arc to it. Maybe a 2-7 break.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 31, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
IIRC, Fernando was famous for his screwball and eventually blew up his arm doing it. Danny Wright used to throw a screw ball, although it was more of a slurve than anything.

Oh god, now I just had thoughts of Corwin Malone, Matt Ginter, Brian West, Josh Stewart, Mike Porzio and the like...

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
Yeah, doesn't a screwball move the opposite way? Like a backwards slider or curveball?

I don't know the mechanics of throwing it, but it's a curveball that rotates the opposite way.

If Santiago has a good one, it will allow a lefty like himself to get righties out very effectively. He's basically throwing a right-hander's breaking ball as a lefty.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 31, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
I don't know the mechanics of throwing it, but it's a curveball that rotates the opposite way.

If Santiago has a good one, it will allow a lefty like himself to get righties out very effectively. He's basically throwing a right-hander's breaking ball as a lefty.

Would be cool if he added a regular curveball too. Haha, completely fool them by throwing those back to back.

i believe its a variation off the circle change for most people...at least thats the grip they use, and kinda turn the hand over the other way to get that down and in run (for a righty to a righty). best way ive heard it described is a 2 seam change up