Drawing a Texas Congressional Map

Texsox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
Yup. Every election you find 1 or 2.

And by "Election" I mean "full national election with 100 million people voting".

Really, it's remarkable how you guys care insanely about something that is already against the law and rarely ever happens. If you applied the same standards to guns, we'd probably save hundreds of thousands of lives over my lifetime.

well, we think voter fraud is a big issue. i can see why a Democrat would want to downplay the level of fraud, it is a staple in their voting strategy.

your gun argument is a diversion. start a new thread for that, plz.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
well, we think voter fraud is a big issue. i can see why a Democrat would want to downplay the level of fraud, it is a staple in their voting strategy.

your gun argument is a diversion. start a new thread for that, plz.

No, voter fraud is not and never has been a staple democratic strategy. It's illegal. When it happens it is prosecuted.

Voter turnout of legal voters is a staple democratic strategy. The groups that do not vote at their percentages vote overwhelmingly Democratic. African Americans, Hispanics, the poor.

It's amazingly convenient how every effort to prevent voter fraud manages to prevent significant chunks of those groups from voting legally.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
Yup. Every election you find 1 or 2.

And by "Election" I mean "full national election with 100 million people voting".

Really, it's remarkable how you guys care insanely about something that is already against the law and rarely ever happens. If you applied the same standards to guns, we'd probably save hundreds of thousands of lives over my lifetime.

Exactly how so? Most gun violence is done with illegal weapons by people that don't have a problem breaking laws. Gun bans will work in this country about as well as prohibition did...

Which is, in your own words, caring about something that is already against the law.

Prohibition was a constitutional amendment as well as its repeal. Clarifying the language of the 2nd Amendment to be a collective right or another SC ruling down the road can change that.

I'm not actually in favor of that but I don't think comparing the black market manufacture of drugs and liquor is comparable to the technology and ability required to manufacture a reliable gun.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
Prohibition was a constitutional amendment as well as its repeal. Clarifying the language of the 2nd Amendment to be a collective right or another SC ruling down the road can change that.

I'm not actually in favor of that but I don't think comparing the black market manufacture of drugs and liquor is comparable to the technology and ability required to manufacture a reliable gun.

People can and have made reliable guns out of wood, not to mention plastic derivatives...it's not only possible, but it's been done. The issue isn't just stopping the production of guns here, but everywhere else, too...meaning we have to again assert our way of life on others, be it Canada, Mexico, or any other foreign nation that doesn't share our feelings on the manufacturer of guns.

IE, not happening...ever. All this does is create yet another black market.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
People can and have made reliable guns out of wood, not to mention plastic derivatives...it's not only possible, but it's been done. The issue isn't just stopping the production of guns here, but everywhere else, too...meaning we have to again assert our way of life on others, be it Canada, Mexico, or any other foreign nation that doesn't share our feelings on the manufacturer of guns.

I love it when 3 month old quotes start a new discussion when they weren't worth responding to the first time.

Anyway, this post gives me an excuse to post this video. Yes I know Mythbusters hit it. I don't care.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2483077:date=Sep 20, 2011 -> 02:23 PM:name=Y2HH)-->
QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
<!--quotec-->People can and have made reliable guns out of wood, not to mention plastic derivatives...it's not only possible, but it's been done. The issue isn't just stopping the production of guns here, but everywhere else, too...meaning we have to again assert our way of life on others, be it Canada, Mexico, or any other foreign nation that doesn't share our feelings on the manufacturer of guns.

I love it when 3 month old quotes start a new discussion when they weren't worth responding to the first time.

Anyway, this post gives me an excuse to post this video. Yes I know Mythbusters hit it. I don't care.

I don't get what you are trying -- and failing -- to convey here.

Are you saying that banning guns in the US wouldn't create a new black market but are too afraid to say the words?

Because if so...wow are you dumb.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't get what you are trying -- and failing -- to convey here.

Are you saying that banning guns in the US wouldn't create a new black market but are too afraid to say the words?

Because if so...wow are you dumb.

Let's not head down that road again, kthxbye

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
There was an article yesterday in the Sun Times that pointed to Hispanics being the key to the Republicans' challenges to the Democrats' map in Illinois. They can argue that the new maps underrepresent Hispanics in violation of the voting rights act.

the illinois map is a joke.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)
Bump. The US Dept. of Justice announced yesterday that it will oppose the Texas Congressional map and challenge its constitutionality/legality in court.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 07:45 AM)
Which is why you posted about Texas and not Illinois.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 08:00 AM)
Yes. I am also Tex. I created this thread. Therefore I was just bumping my own thread with relevant new information.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
The US Dept. of Justice isn't challenging the Illinois redistricting.

If 2k5 creates a thread about that map and there is a legal challenge filed, I will pledge to bump that thread upon filing of the legal challenge.

• 2 months later...

They should just create an overlay of the amount of districts with equal size, then add and subtract to keep whole towns together and that be the extent of the rigging. The people elected are supposed to represent everyone in the district, so the idea that you need to create a district just for latinos or blacks is frankly just racist.