Jackson would accept move to pen

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
That Javy Vazquez trade looks better and better. This new power hitter Lillibridge is really showing something.

When I went to spring training this spring I spent a lot of time on the practice fields. For instance i saw Cora throw a 5 gallon bucket of balls one at a time in the dirt at Paulie. I guess this is why Paulie is so good at scooping them bad throws in the dirt. I saw Quentin working to improve his timing and leg kick with Greg walker. Another was watching Lillibridge, He seemed to have total concentration and do more than was mandated by every drill. He seem to work on perfection doing more than other players thought was neccessary. Of course at that time he didn't even know if he would make the 25 man roster. I liked his work ethic.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)
Only fair way to evaluate those deals in aggregate is wins and losses.

And this team has quietly been winning more than it has been losing since it fell to what 11 games out and about 11 below .500 at the low water mark?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
And this team has quietly been winning more than it has been losing since it fell to what 11 games out and about 11 below .500 at the low water mark?

I know that the 6 man rotation has mostly "worked" to this point, and it may have even been necessary with 20 consecutive games and unsureness about JFP's health, but the schedule has a LOT more off days over the final 104 games, and the starting pitchers will get nearly comparable rest as they've been getting during this 6 man experiment, if we return to a 5-man.

Jackson still seems like the logical choice to me because of what he could bring to a pen that needs another power RHP anyway. And I'm not worried about reducing Edwin's trade-value (though I agree with about 99.9% of what Fathom says otherwise), and I'm not worried about p***ing off Bora$$, who hates us anyway. Edwin is a known commodity, and his value isn't going to change a whole lot between now and the end of the season. If anything, it might bring his arb number down, allowing us to offer it and secure a needed draft pick. We're not necessarily IN it currently, but we're certainly NOT OUT of it either, IMO, and the trade value of a guy we shouldn't be trading anyway, shouldn't be the overriding concern.

The other aspect of the 6-man that I truly don't like, is that it makes it nearly impossible to work some much-needed offense (Viciedo) into the lineup. Just not enough roster spots, when you're carrying 13 pitchers.

No reason why the TANK shouldn't be starting 2-4 days per week, and pinch hitting for the Mule in EVERY late and close situation where the opposition brings in a lefty to face him. There's been 3 or 4 of those situations in the past week alone.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
He remains the key part of that trade. We need to continue infusing the roster with cost-controlled players and we don't have many prospects that could be ready in the next year or two. Viciedo will be in a corner spot next year, which will help a lot. If Flowers could take Castro's role next and then the starting spot in 2013, that would be huge for our long-term success. Having Beckham, Morel, Viciedo, and Flowers in the everyday lineup would give us a nice set of cost-controlled players to supplement some of the bigger contracts we'll still have on the books.

Well, the trade of Javy never seemed that bad to me regardless, because the guy is a looooser, still making a lot of money to disappoint another team. Worst pitcher I've ever seen for consistently blowing leads - no lead was ever big enough. I was glad to get him off the team.

The trade to acquire him (not that CYoung does a lot for me), was the bigger mistake, IMO.

There's been a lot of talk about how much more we should have rec'd for him in trade, but for a lot of GM's, the bloom was off the Javy rose already.