6/1 games

JPN366

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
I know it's a small sample size and blah blah blah, but Jordan Danks "only" struck out once every five ABs in May. If he can keep up that ratio he'll probably make it to the bigs.

If he can keep up that ratio AND his power surge isn't a fluke, he could be a starter at he ML level when you consider his defensive abilities. Hell, if Rios continues to suck and Danks has a June just like his May, I'd almost say you'd have to call him up.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
If he can keep up that ratio AND his power surge isn't a fluke, he could be a starter at he ML level when you consider his defensive abilities.

Already 9 in 190 PA. Had 8 in 502 PA all of last season.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
And 5 of the 9 have come on the road (and in fewer PA) so you can't say he's being aided by the park in Charlotte.

They moved the fences back 5 feet and raised the wall height to make it tougher to hit homeruns.

and its not as if danks doesn't have natural power....remember it was thought he would be a big time power guy coming out of high school too. IIRC he won the HR derby at a big time scouting event over some other top prospects.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
If he can keep up that ratio AND his power surge isn't a fluke, he could be a starter at he ML level when you consider his defensive abilities. Hell, if Rios continues to suck and Danks has a June just like his May, I'd almost say you'd have to call him up.

And at that point you'd be punting the season. Jordan Danks only sniffs Chicago if we're 12 games back in August.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
and its not as if danks doesn't have natural power....remember it was thought he would be a big time power guy coming out of high school too. IIRC he won the HR derby at a big time scouting event over some other top prospects.

I remember Danks being talked about like a mid career Mark Kotsay. High average, 20 homers, good speed, great defense. I don't remember ever hearing about big power.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
I remember Danks being talked about like a mid career Mark Kotsay. High average, 20 homers, good speed, great defense. I don't remember ever hearing about big power.

He was always thought of a guy that would potentially develop power. However, those projections kind of went out the window the longer he stayed at Texas as the power just didnt' develop as many expected it to. He would hit the ball incredibly hard, his swing path just didn't lend itself to those hard hit balls turning into homers (rather line drive doubles, etc).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
And at that point you'd be punting the season. Jordan Danks only sniffs Chicago if we're 12 games back in August.

Why is that? If by the ASB Rios hasn't improved and Danks continues what he did in May, you really think we'd get LESS out of that spot? His defense wouldn't let us down, he can move so he wouldn't clog the bases and it appears he may have developed a bit of pop. He gets that K-rate down a little more and I fail to see how that would be a downgrade to the current version of Alex Rios.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)

From what I remember when I saw Danks play in 2009 was that he is really lanky, really tall, with really long arms. Just a big kid. He would murder balls on the outside half of the plate, his power seemed to be to the opposite field. It seems like he and other tall, lanky guys with long arms would have trouble developing pull power and center power.