alexei in center

Bubba Philips

When Alexei came up does anyone remember him playing centerfield. If my memory serves me right he made some unique plays in center. I thought he did ok. I'm sure no one on the team could play short as well unless it would be Visquel. Can anyone else remember the few times he was trotted out to center? m in aI'd like to see him in another game at that position. We play Rios a lot because we don't have another true centerfielder.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
When Alexei came up does anyone remember him playing centerfield. If my memory serves me right he made some unique plays in center. I thought he did ok. I'm sure no one on the team could play short as well unless it would be Visquel. Can anyone else remember the few times he was trotted out to center? m in aI'd like to see him in another game at that position. We play Rios a lot because we don't have another true centerfielder.

do we have another true shortstop that i am overlooking?

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)

I'm more interested in what is going on in the bolded section than the content of the post.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
I'm more interested in what is going on in the bolded section than the content of the post.

Sorry about the non editting. I know Alexei is one of the best shortstops in the mlb . I just wanted someone to help recall how well he played center.

Edited by forrestg

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
Sorry about the non editting. I know Alexei is one of the best shortstops in the mlb . I just wanted someone to help recall how well he played center.

Supposedly in Cuba he was better in CF than SS. He never looked THAT good in CF here, but who knows.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
Supposedly in Cuba he was better in CF than SS. He never looked THAT good in CF here, but who knows.

In the time he played he seemed to have been adequate. His play in center (though extremely some sample) reminded me of when jose valentin was out there. I may be the only one that sensed the similarities.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
I think we should go with a 7 man rotation and insert Alexei with his cannon arm.

Play him at catcher and second as well and Alexei can just defend the whole middle of the field.

Interesting question about Alexei in CF. I kind of forgot that other than he played it in Cuba. Did he not always say he liked SS better though? Vrsatile and ahtletic guy. Good to have him on the Sox. He has alot odf range at SS and I also remember when he played 2B there were commenst about him covering more ground then most any other 2Bman

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
I remember him cutting off a ball in right center, spinning, and gunning a guy out at second. That is the only thing I remember about his play in center.

alexei was looking to play somewhere everyday. This description of his fielding was perfect. All kinds of stories surround the Cuban players. I don't remember the pitching but wan't it before we got Dayan that there was rumors or reports that he also pitched in Cuba.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
forrestg must truly stand for Forrest Gump.
g

Yes, it does I wore braces and then one day while I was running my braces seem to fall off. Later, I joined the army, started playing table tennis so well that I toured china. I played so well that I was recognized by the president.