Brent Morel becoming Crede-esque

macsandz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do remind me a lot of each other defensively. Offensively they could also be potentially similar. Neither strikes out too much, and neither (obviously in Morel's case) walks very much. I don't think Morel is ever going to have the power upside of Crede, but I think he has the potential to be a more consistent/complete hitter that compares to Crede in the big scheme of things.

QUOTE (Anderson Cooper's Quivering @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
Morel in May: .283 .309 .377

Needs to hit more than singles... but.... he was always a slow starter in the minors. Every promotion he got, he struggled, then set the world on fire.

He needs to draw some freaking walks. I can live with his lack of power that we all knew about if he just gets on base at a decent clip and plays very good defense.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 02:24 AM)
Definitely. If his walk rate doesn't improve, he's not an MLB caliber player. No argument needed.

I am thinking Morel can be a Kevin Kouzmanoff type bat, with a better avg, but little less power. I mean, Kouz only walks at a career 4.6%. In the minors, Morel was about a 6-8% every year.

I don't think Morel is an every day 3B (he is on this team). His offensive skillset is rather unimpressive. You knew the power wouldn't be great. I thought he would be more of a line drive/doubles guy. 25 of his 32 hits have been singles. His LD% is a well below average 13% and he hits a ton of ground balls. Won't even get into the BB. My expectations are so low with this team when it comes to developing position players that I can't say I'm even disappointed. He can stick at third on this team as long as he keeps flashin' the leather. And his glove has been great of late. Hope that continues.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 04:40 AM)
I don't think Morel is an every day 3B (he is on this team). His offensive skillset is rather unimpressive. You knew the power wouldn't be great. I thought he would be more of a line drive/doubles guy. 25 of his 32 hits have been singles. His LD% is a well below average 13% and he hits a ton of ground balls. Won't even get into the BB. My expectations are so low with this team when it comes to developing position players that I can't say I'm even disappointed. He can stick at third on this team as long as he keeps flashin' the leather. And his glove has been great of late. Hope that continues.

He's a rookie. Settle down shooter.

Everything I've ever heard of Brent Morel reminds me of Scott Brosius. I'd be OK with that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)
He's a rookie. Settle down shooter.

Everything I've ever heard of Brent Morel reminds me of Scott Brosius. I'd be OK with that.

I know. I did kinda rear off into another dimension. This thread was obviously dedicated to Morel's divine glove work the last few weeks. I just don't want to be offensively-challenged at an offensive position. Independent of his defense.

They showed his three plays on BBTN and he was being praised. He does look good in the field and when you keep the other team from scoring with the glove then it makes up a lot for a lack of hitting. But, I think that will come around. I like the way he goes to right and right center a lot and doesn't try to be the big bopper

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
They showed his three plays on BBTN and he was being praised. He does look good in the field and when you keep the other team from scoring with the glove then it makes up a lot for a lack of hitting. But, I think that will come around. I like the way he goes to right and right center a lot and doesn't try to be the big bopper

He nailed all 3 of his hits last night.

Brent does look the other way a lot, and that's great, especially as he's still making the MLB adjustment. You won't hit for as much power with that type of approach all the time, but it's much easier to rack up some hits and gain some confidence. You get that extra fraction of a second to see the ball and decide swing or not, etc. Over the years, I've noticed that whenever Paulie breaks out of a slump, he tends to be looking the other way for a few games. He'll get some hits staying inside the ball, then get aggressive again and hit it with more authority (sometimes with authority the other way).

he's a solid player, and love that the left side of the IF is so strong defensively. Now, it might have been an blip since I don't watch a ton of Red Sox games, but seeing Youk at 3b during that series was painful, there were balls that I thought would have been a step above a routine play getting into RF, I'm glad Morel has good range, sure hands and takes away a decent amount of hits.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
he's a solid player, and love that the left side of the IF is so strong defensively. Now, it might have been an blip since I don't watch a ton of Red Sox games, but seeing Youk at 3b during that series was painful, there were balls that I thought would have been a step above a routine play getting into RF, I'm glad Morel has good range, sure hands and takes away a decent amount of hits.

UZR thinks that Youkilis has been slightly below average so far this year and I think most red sox viewers seem to agree, they miss having Beltre out there defensively...but I think their biggest concern is actually keeping Youkilis healthy. They can't exactly move him back to 1b now, and they still have Ortiz at DH for this season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
UZR thinks that Youkilis has been slightly below average so far this year and I think most red sox viewers seem to agree, they miss having Beltre out there defensively...but I think their biggest concern is actually keeping Youkilis healthy. They can't exactly move him back to 1b now, and they still have Ortiz at DH for this season.

thanks. And of course by saying it was "painful" to see Youkilis let those balls go through, I meant "totally awesome" because a few were key RBI hits for the White Sox.