Sox vs Tigers Game Thread 6-4-11

Soxfest

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
Funny you should say that. On the radio in the 1st during Kelly's AB that was the exact same thing Jackson and Farmer were saying.

And I'm watching the TV version.

It's so obvious, it's like Lebron James practicing a post move...anyone watching can see how much possible gain there is from a quarter as much effort as other guys put into it, but they never do it.

Other guys have to work hard to create a 3rd plus pitch...he doesn't need a plus pitch though, just something that isn't a wild pitch every time. That's all, it just has to not bounce.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 02:02 AM)
I still can't believe Jackson's never developed something other than the fastball/slider. Even if he never ever throws a changeup/curveball for a strike, just having something at 80 mph would make his 88 slider and 93 fastball so much more effective by speeding them up to the batter after they take the pitch.

He has the arm motion that would make a 93 mph cutter really nasty.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
I still can't believe Jackson's never developed something other than the fastball/slider. Even if he never ever throws a changeup/curveball for a strike, just having something at 80 mph would make his 88 slider and 93 fastball so much more effective by speeding them up to the batter after they take the pitch.

Was that a changeup he threw for strike three?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)
Jackson's career ERA in innings 1-3 is 4.86, then 4-6 is 4.21 (5.03 7-9 but that never really counts since guys get pulled in those innings).

Reason #1 why I am scared of him as a reliever. That first inning while he finds his stuff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
Looked like the usual slider to me.

I only saw the swing and very last part of the pitch.

I've seen him throw 5-10 good changeups total since he was a White Sox, though. Must just be a pitch he doesn't have any confidence in except for some particular situation

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 09:08 PM)
I only saw the swing and very last part of the pitch.

I've seen him throw 5-10 good changeups total since he was a White Sox, though. Must just be a pitch he doesn't have any confidence in except for some particular situation

That's the amazing thing...he doesn't need to have any confidence in it, he just needs to throw it and not have it go to the backstop, just to change the batter's velocity calibration. A batter can adjust from 95 to 88, but if you reset him by throwing a pitch in the dirt at 79, suddenly his brain loses the speed calibration.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 08:10 PM)
That's the amazing thing...he doesn't need to have any confidence in it, he just needs to throw it and not have it go to the backstop, just to change the batter's velocity calibration. A batter can adjust from 95 to 88, but if you reset him by throwing a pitch in the dirt at 79, suddenly his brain loses the speed calibration.

Now a good changeup won't be that slow, really. It shouldn't be hard for him to pick up a slower curveball, though. And the changeup would be very effective just based on the movement/spin mirroring his fastball.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Now a good changeup won't be that slow, really. It shouldn't be hard for him to pick up a slower curveball, though. And the changeup would be very effective just based on the movement/spin mirroring his fastball.

A good changeup for Jackson would come in at 83-84 or below. It doesn't have to be good though, just anything below 84 would do the job. Something to change up the hitter's eye.