Strained right groin for Jake Peavy

southsider2k5

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
The guy wasn't even supposed to return to MLB until July in the first place!

Step off his neck for god's sake!

This is his third year with the team and he's made a grand-total of 25 starts.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
The guy wasn't even supposed to return to MLB until July in the first place!

Step off his neck for god's sake!

What the f***, man. This guy has been on the Sox for about two full seasons at this point. It seems like he's pitched about 10 games for us.

Why does anyone defend him anymore? What will it take to piss people off?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
This is his third year with the team and he's made a grand-total of 25 starts.

It's been 2 calendar years since KW first tried to trade with him. Calling this his "3rd year" with the team takes some spinning.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:12 AM)
What do you mean the guy that puts the team before himself? What do you suppose he was trying to do? How was trying to pitch through this putting himself before the team?

The guy is a competitve sob and he's certainly more frustrated and baffled by this run of injuries as we are. He's just trying to do what he loves to do and the only thing he knows how to do.

He's not pitching for a contract. He could easily be Mike Hampton and just go down with every injury because his money is all guaranteed. But he tries to battle through it because he doesn't know what else to do.

I'm not saying he did the smartest thing he possibly could have, but to say he is putting himself before the team is the biggest bunch of bs I've heard lately.

And I am not some huge JFP supporter, but it's hard to fault the guy for trying to pitch through this when he could just as easily say "this team is under .500, they have 5 other starters, my paycheck is coming every other week no matter what..."

You seem like a huge JFP supporter. Him pitching through pain is being selfish. He couldn't throw the baseball anymore. But he wants to be a superhero and keep pitching even though he's hurting the team by doing so. His agenda of being a tough guy and battling was put in front of the team's goals. That's how.

There's some things you can battle through and some things you can't. When your injury prevents you from throwing the ball correctly, it's your job to stop battling through it and do something for the good of the team, not try to be the man and act like you can do anything you put your mind to, because he couldn't.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
What the f***, man. This guy has been on the Sox for about two full seasons at this point. It seems like he's pitched about 10 games for us.

apparently it is anything and everything.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)

I just don't understand what you would have us do to him?

He signed a contract when he was perfectly healthy to play for the Padres. We tried to trade for him. He rejected the trade. We tried again. He saw the music and said ok.

He was injured at the time and he has done nothing but work hard to try and get back and pitch for this ballclub.

I know it has reached a point where he needs to stop at the first sign of pain and alert someone, but this is just like other athletes who have been around awhile. Rarely are you ever 100% anymore. He's just trying to contribute to the team's success. I'm not sure when that stopped being admirable and became grounds for some sort of mocking and booing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
I was sure there was going to be a post in this exact vein :P

But seriously, what does it take? Does Peavy have to hurt his elbow doing the Nazi salute at a white supremacy rally?

What does it take to what? Seriously, what would you have us do to him?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
You seem like a huge JFP supporter. Him pitching through pain is being selfish. He couldn't throw the baseball anymore. But he wants to be a superhero and keep pitching even though he's hurting the team by doing so. His agenda of being a tough guy and battling was put in front of the team's goals. That's how.

There's some things you can battle through and some things you can't. When your injury prevents you from throwing the ball correctly, it's your job to stop battling through it and do something for the good of the team, not try to be the man and act like you can do anything you put your mind to, because he couldn't.

A huge JFP supporter?

Do you even read this forum?

Seriously, he was trying to get through the inning. . You go ahead and fault him for that. I choose not to.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
I was sure there was going to be a post in this exact vein :P

But seriously, what does it take? Does Peavy have to hurt his elbow doing the Nazi salute at a white supremacy rally?

I'm not going to defend him, but I am not going to get all frothy mouthed about him trying to pitch over this. Listening to pitchers talk, they are always hurting somewhere. If Peavy came out everytime he felt something, he would never make to the mound to start. Should have realized something was wrong and said something? Sure. Do we really need to invoke Godwin's Law here? Good god no. Hell Peavy at 70% is better than Ohman and Bruney at 100%. I get wanting to pitch over it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
What does it take to what? Seriously, what would you have us do to him?

Be angry that the guy cannot stay healthy. Or at the very least, not act like there's something wrong with anyone who is angry at his inability to pitch 5 games without an ear falling off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
I'm not going to defend him, but I am not going to get all frothy mouthed about him trying to pitch over this. Listening to pitchers talk, they are always hurting somewhere. If Peavy came out everytime he felt something, he would never make to the mound to start. Should have realized something was wrong and said something? Sure. Do we really need to invoke Godwin's Law here? Good god no. Hell Peavy at 70% is better than Ohman and Bruney at 100%. I get wanting to pitch over it.

For the record, I haven't said anything about him pitching through the injury to the detriment of the team. I'm sick and tired of him being injured in general.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
Be angry that the guy cannot stay healthy. Or at the very least, not act like there's something wrong with anyone who is angry at his inability to pitch 5 games without an ear falling off.

The fact that he will have small injuries this year should not be a surprise to anyone, its to be expected. That doesn't upset me. What does upset me is that he said he had the issue in his previous start, but chose to just push though it... had it even worse in this most recent game, and again, chose to push through it... then proceeded to pitch the game away. He really should have learned by now to speak up when he's hurting, because he just hurts the team worse when he tries to tough it out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
The fact that he will have small injuries this year should not be a surprise to anyone, its to be expected. That doesn't upset me. What does upset me is that he said he had the issue in his previous start, but chose to just push though it... had it even worse in this most recent game, and again, chose to push through it... then proceeded to pitch the game away. He really should have learned by now to speak up when he's hurting, because he just hurts the team worse when he tries to tough it out.

Obviously we have a small sample size here, but I wonder how many times in his career he has just pitched through something like this and no one ever noticed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)

I understand the point you and others make. SS2k5 and iamshack seem to have a problem with that reasoning.

I personally don't care either way. He's hurt, constantly. That is where my problem is.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
I understand the point you and others make. SS2k5 and iamshack seem to have a problem with that reasoning.

I personally don't care either way. He's hurt, constantly. That is where my problem is.

Lol. Way to ready into my statement. I am happy he is hurt again? No. Am I going to freak out and demand people get all pissed off about, and question them if they don't? Why? What does that do exactly? That is a whole waste of time and energy IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
Lol. Way to ready into my statement. I am happy he is hurt again? No. Am I going to freak out and demand people get all pissed off about, and question them if they don't? Why? What does that do exactly? That is a whole waste of time and energy IMO.

I didn't say anything even close to that. Perhaps you are the one who isn't reading everything. You and iamshack both said that you don't get angry that he tried to pitch through an injury (something I never even said). Northside said that it bothered him, and I said that you and iamshack would disagree with that because that's what you said a few posts before.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
I didn't say anything even close to that. Perhaps you are the one who isn't reading everything. You and iamshack both said that you don't get angry that he tried to pitch through an injury (something I never even said). Northside said that it bothered him, and I said that you and iamshack would disagree with that because that's what you said a few posts before.

I have mentioned about 3 times now that he should have spoken up.

I wish he had.

I also agree with ss2k that I'll bet he's pitched through these things before, successfully, and no one has been the wiser.

I don't really feel the need to get angry about Jake Peavy. I am sorry if that makes me some sort of idiot. I can promise you if you're frustrated, he's 10 x's as frustrated and just wants to perform and earn his paycheck.

Notice I was not in here praising him as some sort of manbeast warriorstud.

I don't care much one way or the other anymore about Peavy, but at least he wants to win. Same with Pierre and AJ.

I do wish we'd see a little more of this same sense of pride out of Rios, Dunn and Teahen. They're all getting paid multi-millions of dollars to be professionals, and yet they don't SEEM to care all that much about not being in shape or being prepared for the season. Same thing with Jenks the last couple of seasons with the Sox. At least Peavy and Jenks don't "shrink" from the big moment and trying to get it done.

For Bobby, maybe he's learning a dose of humility after being able to get by on talent alone for the first half of his big league career.

Starting to wonder if maybe it's NOT a coincidence how often players like Orlando Cabrera and Juan Uribe end up on winning teams.

KW always has this philosophy that just assembling talent (Edwin Jackson also comes to mind) and throwing it together will magically work and create chemistry (by winning, or winning, by assembling a roster of talented individuals) and it has rarely worked out that way for us.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
I have mentioned about 3 times now that he should have spoken up.

I wish he had.

I also agree with ss2k that I'll bet he's pitched through these things before, successfully, and no one has been the wiser.

I don't really feel the need to get angry about Jake Peavy. I am sorry if that makes me some sort of idiot. I can promise you if you're frustrated, he's 10 x's as frustrated and just wants to perform and earn his paycheck.

Notice I was not in here praising him as some sort of manbeast warriorstud.

I'm sure the millions of dollars he'll make while being frustrated at his injuries will comfort him. Unfortunately, I don't have that aspect to cheer me up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
I don't care much one way or the other anymore about Peavy, but at least he wants to win. Same with Pierre and AJ.

I do wish we'd see a little more of this same sense of pride out of Rios, Dunn and Teahen. They're all getting paid multi-millions of dollars to be professionals, and yet they don't SEEM to care all that much about not being in shape or being prepared for the season. Same thing with Jenks the last couple of seasons with the Sox. At least Peavy and Jenks don't "shrink" from the big moment and trying to get it done.

I think you left out Paulie. I think he wants to win too. But I agree. And Vizquel always seems like he's giving 100%.

KW always has this philosophy that just assembling talent (Edwin Jackson also comes to mind) and throwing it together will magically work and create chemistry (by winning, or winning, by assembling a roster of talented individuals) and it has rarely worked out that way for us.

I think you're onto something. On paper that 2005 team shouldn't have worked (save for the pitching) but they played well together. Which, in a team sport, is more important than individual talent, right?