Strained right groin for Jake Peavy

southsider2k5

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 10:48 PM)
Slightest pain? Seriously? Did you even read the article? Unbelievable. I assume you didn't, so I'll quote him:

"(After that) I couldn't throw one ball where it was supposed be thrown," Peavy said.

I prefer the type of athlete that puts the team before himself.

He said he couldn't f***ing throw a pitch anywhere he wanted. Get the f*** out of the game.

I'll take a wild guess which side of the Cutler equation you were on.

What do you mean the guy that puts the team before himself? What do you suppose he was trying to do? How was trying to pitch through this putting himself before the team?

The guy is a competitve sob and he's certainly more frustrated and baffled by this run of injuries as we are. He's just trying to do what he loves to do and the only thing he knows how to do.

He's not pitching for a contract. He could easily be Mike Hampton and just go down with every injury because his money is all guaranteed. But he tries to battle through it because he doesn't know what else to do.

I'm not saying he did the smartest thing he possibly could have, but to say he is putting himself before the team is the biggest bunch of bs I've heard lately.

And I am not some huge JFP supporter, but it's hard to fault the guy for trying to pitch through this when he could just as easily say "this team is under .500, they have 5 other starters, my paycheck is coming every other week no matter what..."

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:12 AM)
What do you mean the guy that puts the team before himself? What do you suppose he was trying to do? How was trying to pitch through this putting himself before the team?

The guy is a competitve sob and he's certainly more frustrated and baffled by this run of injuries as we are. He's just trying to do what he loves to do and the only thing he knows how to do.

He's not pitching for a contract. He could easily be Mike Hampton and just go down with every injury because his money is all guaranteed. But he tries to battle through it because he doesn't know what else to do.

I'm not saying he did the smartest thing he possibly could have, but to say he is putting himself before the team is the biggest bunch of bs I've heard lately.

And I am not some huge JFP supporter, but it's hard to fault the guy for trying to pitch through this when he could just as easily say "this team is under .500, they have 5 other starters, my paycheck is coming every other week no matter what..."

So at what point does he realize that his body is not working in conjunction with his Conan the Mighty Barbarian act? Do we need 5 more DL trips between now and when his contract is mercifully up for him to understand this?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)
So at what point does he realize that his body is not working in conjunction with his Conan the Mighty Barbarian act? Do we need 5 more DL trips between now and when his contract is mercifully up for him to understand this?

You have all the answers, J4L. It's really easy for you to bash everyone while you sit on your couch and drink 40 ouncers.

Try to put yourself in his position...the guy was probably the best young pitcher in the NL for 3-4 years, and now he can hardly get out of bed every day without hurting himself. He's got Kenny who took a huge risk in acquiring him, as well as a lot of pressure from a fanbase in a major market, as well as his own expectations of himself.

Again, I'm not saying he shouldn't do what Wite said...but I highly doubt he intended on giving up 6 freaking runs that inning and I highly doubt his intention was to hurt the team.

I don't think anyone is happy with this situation, but I'm not going to take potshots at him for caring enough to make a f***ing effort.

Meanwhile, you know everything, so by all means, continue on.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
You have all the answers, J4L. It's really easy for you to bash everyone while you sit on your couch and drink 40 ouncers.

Try to put yourself in his position...the guy was probably the best young pitcher in the NL for 3-4 years, and now he can hardly get out of bed every day without hurting himself. He's got Kenny who took a huge risk in acquiring him, as well as a lot of pressure from a fanbase in a major market, as well as his own expectations of himself.

Again, I'm not saying he shouldn't do what Wite said...but I highly doubt he intended on giving up 6 freaking runs that inning and I highly doubt his intention was to hurt the team.

I don't think anyone is happy with this situation, but I'm not going to take potshots at him for caring enough to make a f***ing effort.

Meanwhile, you know everything, so by all means, continue on.

First of all, what's wrong with 40's? They're one of the great creations by mankind. Secondly, how come it was OK for us to laugh at Wood and Prior ad nauseum when they were getting hurt over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over gain, yet we have a guy that continues to get hurt over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again but it's alright because at least he's going out there and trying to pitch through pain when it's been decidedly proven that he's incapable of pitching through pain? Makes no sense and is pretty hypocritical.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
First of all, what's wrong with 40's? They're one of the great creations by mankind. Secondly, how come it was OK for us to laugh at Wood and Prior ad nauseum when they were getting hurt over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over gain, yet we have a guy that continues to get hurt over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again but it's alright because at least he's going out there and trying to pitch through pain when it's been decidedly proven that he's incapable of pitching through pain? Makes no sense and is pretty hypocritical.

I never laughed at Mark Prior or Kerry Wood for trying to pitch through injury. In fact, I hope for good things for both of them. If there was anything I ever laughed at regarding that situation, it was the Cubs' constant refusal to admit to the injuries or the prognosis.

I'm not sure why some general feeling you got from Soxtalk 5 years ago somehow equates to my opinion on this?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
He's a f***ing idiot, there is no way to possibly defend him at this point re: continued fighting through injury, but I will love to watch people continue to try.

I'm over the dude.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
I never laughed at Mark Prior or Kerry Wood for trying to pitch through injury. In fact, I hope for good things for both of them. If there was anything I ever laughed at regarding that situation, it was the Cubs' constant refusal to admit to the injuries or the prognosis.

I'm not sure why some general feeling you got from Soxtalk 5 years ago somehow equates to my opinion on this?

Fine, forget about the Cubs portion of that last post. Let's address the other part. Again, at what point does one realize he's incapable of pitching through pain? You're not helping anybody by getting hurt every couple weeks. When you feel something, anything, let Herm, the medical staff or whatever know. He doesn't deserve extra credit for trying to be tough.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:52 AM)
Fine, forget about the Cubs portion of that last post. Let's address the other part. Again, at what point does one realize he's incapable of pitching through pain? You're not helping anybody by getting hurt every couple weeks. When you feel something, anything, let Herm, the medical staff or whatever know. He doesn't deserve extra credit for trying to be tough.

I agree wholeheartedly.

What I took exception to is the bulls*** about him putting himself before the team.

That's horses***.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)

So this is you getting over it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
The big lecture you gave everyone in the NBA thread.

I still don't get it. What does me criticizing our $16-17 million dollar a year pitcher for refusing to acknowledge when his body is betraying him, thus ending up on the DL again have to do with 85% of the board threatening to never watch the NBA again because the Heat are a good bet to win the championship?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
I still don't get it. What does me criticizing our $16-17 million dollar a year pitcher for refusing to acknowledge when his body is betraying him, thus ending up on the DL again have to do with 85% of the board threatening to never watch the NBA again because the Heat are a good bet to win the championship?

lebron-james-dwade-wade-and-chris-bosh.j

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)

It's not trying to be tough. It's his overall attitude. You can't be a extremely competitive person when you want to be. It's who he is. The same thing that makes him want to pitch through problems is the same thing that makes him a Cy Young award winning pitcher and a pitcher who came back from an unprecedented injury. Was what he did smart? No. But all athletes that are at the very top of their profession tend to have this attitude. Did MJ sit out of a game when he had food poisoning? No. Why did he do it? It's because that was his personality. If he would have flopped in that game everyone would have ripped him for playing while sick and "not helping the team." I prefer this attitude to the "giving up" attitude of some players. But then again that type of player is not usually one of the best in the game.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
It's not trying to be tough. It's his overall attitude. You can't be a extremely competitive person when you want to be. It's who he is. The same thing that makes him want to pitch through problems is the same thing that makes him a Cy Young award winning pitcher and a pitcher who came back from an unprecedented injury. Was what he did smart? No. But all athletes that are at the very top of their profession tend to have this attitude. Did MJ sit out of a game when he had food poisoning? No. Why did he do it? It's because that was his personality. If he would have flopped in that game everyone would have ripped him for playing while sick and "not helping the team." I prefer this attitude to the "giving up" attitude of some players. But then again that type of player is not usually one of the best in the game.

If MJ would have sucked against Utah and not told anyone until after the game that he couldn't shoot straight due to being sick, I would have asked "why the hell didn't he tell the training staff before the end of the game instead of hurting his team's chances to win".

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
I think the term "Jake f***ing Peavy" should be said more tongue-in-cheek than as a compliment to him. It should be similar to how Red Sox fans say "Bucky f***ing Dent".

I think it pretty much is at this point...

What people fail to talk about is the gross mismanagement of Peavy's ankle injury by the Sox in 2009, which Peavy himself said indirectly lead to his lat tearing off the bone due to altered mechanics in an interview with Ranger this offseason. The Padres had shut him down for the year, but KW had to prove that the trade was not for naught in 2009. IIRC, the Sox had a terrible August, leaving them about 6-8 GB. They were out of it at that point, but at the end of the month they sent him on a rehab assignment, where he got hit in the elbow by a pitch.They were not going to win the division, But they kept pitching him. (still injured BTW)Cooper thought that the altered mechanics that he was pitching with were his normal mechanics, and directed him to continue pitching that way in ST the next season. By the time it had been discovered that Peavy had altered his mechanics, it was too late. His lat was already almost off the bone(remember the whole fluid in the shoulder issue last season) and at that point he was a ticking time bomb.

I truly believe that if the Sox would have not brought Peavy back in 2009, last season the Sox get the "Ace Peavy" with only 2 trips to the DL maximum. The Sox also never trade Hudson, and much b****ing and moaning at soxtalk.com ceases to ensue. I now know how Cubs fans felt from 2004-07 with Prior. I have no sympathy for Sox management with Peavy being hurt, because they brought it on themselves. I feel sorry for all of the fans because management traded for this ace pitcher, gave up nothing, and he is ruined by gross mismanagement.

Edited by Elgin Slim

The same thing that makes him want to pitch through problems is the same thing that makes him a Cy Young award winning pitcher and a pitcher who came back from an unprecedented injury

I love your posts and agree with loving guys who are "gamers."

But as far as Jake I'd call him a "former" Cy Young Award winning pitcher, cause I firmly believe he's going to pitch 3-4 starts at a time for us, then get hurt every time the rest of his career until it's a bad arm injury and that'll be it for his career.

I like everything about Peavy except his injury-proneness and his contract.

Wasted money. All of it.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
What people fail to talk about is the gross mismanagement of Peavy's ankle injury by the Sox in 2009, which Peavy himself said indirectly lead to his lat tearing off the bone due to altered mechanics in an interview with Ranger this offseason. The Padres had shut him down for the year, but KW had to prove that the trade was not for naught in 2009. IIRC, the Sox had a terrible August, leaving them about 6-8 GB. They were out of it at that point, but at the end of the month they sent him on a rehab assignment, where he got hit in the elbow by a pitch.They were not going to win the division, But they kept pitching him. (still injured BTW)Cooper thought that the altered mechanics that he was pitching with were his normal mechanics, and directed him to continue pitching that way in ST the next season. By the time it had been discovered that Peavy had altered his mechanics, it was too late. His lat was already almost off the bone(remember the whole fluid in the shoulder issue last season) and at that point he was a ticking time bomb.

I truly believe that if the Sox would have not brought Peavy back in 2009, last season the Sox get the "Ace Peavy" with only 2 trips to the DL maximum. The Sox also never trade Hudson, and much b****ing and moaning at soxtalk.com ceases to ensue. I now know how Cubs fans felt from 2004-07 with Prior. I have no sympathy for Sox management with Peavy being hurt, because they brought it on themselves. I feel sorry for all of the fans because management traded for this ace pitcher, gave up nothing, and he is ruined by gross mismanagement.

Or if Peavy really wasn't ready, he could have just said something.