Strained right groin for Jake Peavy

southsider2k5

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
Man, twisting things is easy.

And if the play of your team doesn't have an effect on you, then you aren't much of a fan. Who here doesn't have a better mindset when the Sox win? Who doesn't get a little down for the night when they blow a big game? I'm sure Peavy gets upset. But then he probably just ambles over to his computer and notices that he made a quarter of a million dollars last week by just sitting around in a cast. We don't have that luxury. We're fans of the team. He's a guy being paid either way.

I understand your frustration.

But what, within his power, would you have him do?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)
Jake Peavy is the ultimate battler. I am sure he feels absolutely terrible about how things have worked out for him so far in Chicago. I hope he gets back soon and wins some ballgames for us

I would think that definitely is the case. I think he does want to earn his salary, his keep. Hopefully his body will someday heal and stay healed.

cbssports.com

"Let me tell you something: If guys didn’t go out on the field because of something nagging, you wouldn’t be able to put nine guys out there tonight," Peavy said (Chicago Tribune). "You wouldn’t be able to put together a team. There are plenty of guys, as you see in the lineup, fighting with something and have been in there with me getting treatment and just trying to weather the storm. We certainly treated it, and some stuff goes the wrong way and you just push.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:48 AM)
I get what Jake is trying to say. But whoever these "guys" are he's talking about aren't ending up on the DL every two weeks.

Yeah, there is a difference between something nagging that long-term is innocuous (just short-term pain) and something that if aggravated can lead to a major injury.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:54 AM)
Yeah, there is a difference between something nagging that long-term is innocuous (just short-term pain) and something that if aggravated can lead to a major injury.

Like Paul Konerko and his wrist which would be a two month outage if that chip moved into the right place and had to be surgically removed?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:54 AM)

Well I guess we can fault him for not being able to distinguish the two. It sounds as though it was a staff decision to let him start the game though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
Well I guess we can fault him for not being able to distinguish the two. It sounds as though it was a staff decision to let him start the game though.

He looked great when he started the game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
He looked great when he started the game.

And that's the frustrating part. He tweaked it on the blown double play in the 4th inning, and then after that, he said he couldn't throw the ball where he wanted to. After the Cabrera at bat, that's when he should have pulled himself (and kept us in the game). If he would have done that, I don't think anyone on here would have faulted him for his decision making.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
I understand your frustration.

But what, within his power, would you have him do?

Nothing he can do. He's just a broken pitcher. That's what's frustrating.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
Jake Peavy is the ultimate battler. I am sure he feels absolutely terrible about how things have worked out for him so far in Chicago. I hope he gets back soon and wins some ballgames for us

LOL man, you are like a constant string of clichés.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:10 AM)
And that's the frustrating part. He tweaked it on the blown double play in the 4th inning, and then after that, he said he couldn't throw the ball where he wanted to. After the Cabrera at bat, that's when he should have pulled himself (and kept us in the game). If he would have done that, I don't think anyone on here would have faulted him for his decision making.

YES, thank you. That's when his rah-rah bulls*** gets old. Team first, not Jake.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 08:10 AM)

BS.

If he would have pulled himself without appearing to be ineffective first we would have been talking about how he is soft.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
BS.

If he would have pulled himself without appearing to be ineffective first we would have been talking about how he is soft.

I think you are more correct than the the other arguments. It's bad enough now to hear the negative comments about Peavy and his injuries, but at least he went out and tried. He did look unhittable the first three innings and I am sure he had no idea how the "strain" was going to affect him prior to that fourth inning

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
BS.

Are you kidding? After the bulls*** about him trying to pitch through pain last year in his shoulder only to see it explode, and then with the Ozzie/Peavy conflict during spring, I don't think there's anyone here that would have criticized him for taking himself out if he truly felt he couldn't command the pitch. I'm sorry, but complaining about how injured you were after the fact and after hurting your team is bulls***.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:23 PM)
I think you are more correct than the the other arguments. It's bad enough now to hear the negative comments about Peavy and his injuries, but at least he went out and tried. He did look unhittable the first three innings and I am sure he had no idea how the "strain" was going to affect him prior to that fourth inning

He injured himself worse after the second batter in the 4th inning. It was after that where he walked Boesch, walked Cabrera, gave up a very hard hit, deep sac fly to VMart, then he gave up an 0-2 single to Dirks, and then gave up a bomb to Raburn. Go back and read the thread...a few of us even noted how he was leaving every pitch over the heart of the plate.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Are you kidding? After the bulls*** about him trying to pitch through pain last year in his shoulder only to see it explode, and then with the Ozzie/Peavy conflict during spring, I don't think there's anyone here that would have criticized him for taking himself out if he truly felt he couldn't command the pitch. I'm sorry, but complaining about how injured you were after the fact and after hurting your team is bulls***.

With Marquez having been sent out, and the the fact you weren't going to use Santos, Thornton, Sale, or Crain in that situation, you were down to having to choose between either Bruney or Ohman if Jake came out. It could very well be a question of does Peavy with a pull hurt his team more by being in there, or by allowing these guys to pitch multiple innings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
With Marquez having been sent out, and the the fact you weren't going to use Santos, Thornton, Sale, or Crain in that situation, you were down to having to choose between either Bruney or Ohman if Jake came out. It could very well be a question of does Peavy with a pull hurt his team more by being in there, or by allowing these guys to pitch multiple innings.

Why couldn't you have used Sale there?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:10 AM)

Guys. Ozzie said himself that he didn't feel like he had availability in the pen so clearly Peavy was out there trying to see if he could make is way through it. After the inning he said he couldn't. Big deal.

He tried to battle through and help the club and I'm pretty sure pitchers have at various points in time had zero control of there stuff and tried to work through it. My guess was Peavy was hoping that it would take a few pitches and it would losen back up and he'd be fine. Didn't happen and right after the inning he told the coaches he couldn't go anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
in the 3rd or 4th inning? He isn't your long man. He is a set up man.

He's the closest thing to a long man in this pen, he's the guy they typically give 2 innings to, and he's a former starter. I'd have tried to coax 2+ innings out of him if I could.