Strained right groin for Jake Peavy

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
With Marquez having been sent out, and the the fact you weren't going to use Santos, Thornton, Sale, or Crain in that situation, you were down to having to choose between either Bruney or Ohman if Jake came out. It could very well be a question of does Peavy with a pull hurt his team more by being in there, or by allowing these guys to pitch multiple innings.

Peavy with a pull hurts his team because it's a significant injury that puts his fragile body at risk of an even greater injury. And yes, Peavy with the command he had in the 4th inning is definitely worse than Bruney or Ohman there. Heck, Ohman went 2 innings, 1 run if I believe after Peavy left. I just don't buy into the "mystique" of Peavy, and I guess that's why I have a different viewpoint than a lot of you on here.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
He's the closest thing to a long man in this pen, he's the guy they typically give 2 innings to, and he's a former starter. I'd have tried to coax 2+ innings out of him if I could.

You also lose your most dependable lefty for days if you try to make him go into 3 innings of work.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Guys. Ozzie said himself that he didn't feel like he had availability in the pen so clearly Peavy was out there trying to see if he could make is way through it. After the inning he said he couldn't. Big deal.

He tried to battle through and help the club and I'm pretty sure pitchers have at various points in time had zero control of there stuff and tried to work through it. My guess was Peavy was hoping that it would take a few pitches and it would losen back up and he'd be fine. Didn't happen and right after the inning he told the coaches he couldn't go anymore.

That's the thing...you just can't take chances with Peavy after everything that's taken place.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
You also lose your most dependable lefty for days if you try to make him go into 3 innings of work.

He never gets used as a "Most dependable lefty" though. When we need our "Most dependable lefty" Thornton gets the inning.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
As opposed to having Will Ohman pitch a meaningful game because Chris is out... It is a chance I am willing to take.

Like when Ohman came in after Peavy had already given up the runs?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
Sure, as long as he gets to face lefties.

He actually did quite well in that outing against the LH-heavy opening of the Tigers lineup. 123 inning when he first came in.

Unfortunately, since we had no other pitcher to use as a long man, he then got to face Miguel Cabrera, who is not only a righty but is a moderately good one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
BS.

If he would have pulled himself without appearing to be ineffective first we would have been talking about how he is soft.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. Yes, people would probably be jumping on him immediately after he pulled himself, but then it'd be clear to everyone why he did it when he went on the DL.

Sox will insist on a rehab start for Peavy.

"No matter what he thinks, he can't simulate the intensity of a game in the bullpen, warming up or during pitchers' fielding practice," Williams said. "You just can't do that. You have to get in the game, have to break toward first base, cover first base. Those are the only things that will test how strong you are getting down in your groin area. That's just the way it is."