Official 2011 MLB Draft - Day 1

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
They have an excuse, though. We don't.

Yeah, they have one of the best records in the MLB for the last 10 years, so they've never drafted highly.

Oh, wait, that IS our excuse. But that doesn't count.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Nimmo to the Mets.

This means that regime has finally decided to draft for upside, and will actually pay for it. Nimmo won't be cheap. Must be nice.

IF he won't be cheap right now...then that franchise might not sign him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
Yeah, they have one of the best records in the MLB for the last 10 years, so they've never drafted highly.

Um, no. They emptied out their system last year for Greinke and Marcum.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)

I see that point, and I don't expect us to have a KC system, but the safe/cheap picks are the real issue.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)

Not drafting highly is a pretty worthless excuse for not having an even average farm system. Plenty of other teams are able to accomplish such feats.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
Then again, the Werth signing could wind up hamstringing them just as much as Soriano with the Cubs.

Will, unless they can trade him somehow. I still can't believe how bad of a decision that was.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
Um, no. They emptied out their system last year for Greinke and Marcum.

Thankfully the White Sox never trade away players from their minors, so I can't laugh at this as being an excuse for them but not us.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
Will, unless they can trade him somehow. I still can't believe how bad of a decision that was.

I totally understand why they did it, it's the same move as the Tigers making in 2004/2005 when they signed IRoid and Ordonez to try to get back some respectability.

But they might wind up in trouble even if that team somehow suddenly can afford a $120 million salary.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
I totally understand why they did it, it's the same move as the Tigers making in 2004/2005 when they signed IRoid and Ordonez to try to get back some respectability.

But they might wind up in trouble even if that team somehow suddenly can afford a $120 million salary.

Let's assume Harper, Zimmerman, and Strasburg are all great. Harper and Strasburg could probably ask for, and get, $20 million a year if they live up to the hype. Then that Werth contract is really bad. There's no good excuse for that contract.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
Let's assume Harper, Zimmerman, and Strasburg are all great. Harper and Strasburg could probably ask for, and get, $20 million a year if they live up to the hype. Then that Werth contract is really bad. There's no good excuse for that contract.

They won't have to worry about that until like 2017 at the earliest.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:21 PM)
They won't have to worry about that until like 2017 at the earliest.

Actually, they have to worry about it a lot earlier if these guys come around. 2014-2015 the guys start hitting arbitration, and if they're as good as you want us to believe they are, then they're going to be $10 million candidates for arb year 1. And that's also when Werth is probably going to be declining.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
Actually, they have to worry about it a lot earlier if these guys come around. 2014-2015 the guys start hitting arbitration, and if they're as good as you want us to believe they are, then they're going to be $10 million candidates for arb year 1. And that's also when Werth is probably going to be declining.

Hey, he said $20 million. I didn't say they'd stay dirt cheap until then. And if they are as good as they would have to be to command that much in arbitration, that would mean they were pretty much selling out every night.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
Hey, he said $20 million. I didn't say they'd stay dirt cheap until then. And if they are as good as they would have to be to command that much in arbitration, that would mean they were pretty much selling out every night.

No, it doesn't. You can have two or three great players and still suck. Insert a Cubs joke...now. Or a Marlins joke.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
No, it doesn't. You can have two or three great players and still suck. Insert a Cubs joke...now. Or a Marlins joke.

Marlins? lol. Florida is a terrible sports state outside of college football. Washington is not. You're honestly going to tell me in Strasburg an Harper that they don't have the potential to sell-out every night?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
Marlins? lol. Florida is a terrible sports state outside of college football. Washington is not. You're honestly going to tell me in Strasburg an Harper that they don't have the potential to sell-out every night?

Yeah, Washington. They'd never have 2 separate franchises move out of there to the Midwest!

Funny story. The Nats actually are the 21st team in average attendance this year. Know who's #20? The White Sox.

Do the White Sox have the potential to sell out every night?