Official 2011 MLB Draft - Day 1

Keith Law is a genius. He hates on Sox prospects because it's warranted. What the hell have we produced homegrown wise during the KW era? Nothing. He could create an account on this board right now and post exactly what he thinks and he'd fit right in with most of the board. Hail Keith Law!

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect the Sox to draft about 8 pitchers tomorrow.

I don't really care either way for the Walker pick. To be quite blunt, there's a lot to both like and hate about his game. Point blank, I have no problem with the Sox injecting pure raw talent into the system and that's exactly what this pick is. I would say it deserves a grade of a C+/B-. I would have preferred they draft someone who may hit for a bit of power if they were going to go with a hitter, but I would have ultimately hoped that they had brought in a pitcher.

Whatever.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
I expect the Sox to draft about 8 pitchers tomorrow.

I don't really care either way for the Walker pick. To be quite blunt, there's a lot to both like and hate about his game. Point blank, I have no problem with the Sox injecting pure raw talent into the system and that's exactly what this pick is. I would say it deserves a grade of a C+/B-. I would have preferred they draft someone who may hit for a bit of power if they were going to go with a hitter, but I would have ultimately hoped that they had brought in a pitcher.

Whatever.

We've already got raw, speedy, boom or bust clones in Mitchell and Thompson. Why do we need another?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)
We've already got raw, speedy, boom or bust clones in Mitchell and Thompson. Why do we need another?

Thompson isn't really speedy, at least not in the same sense that Walker is.

And quite frankly, can you really ever have too much talent in a system, even if it is in the outfield?

Like I said, there are quite a few other directions I would have rather they gone. I have no major qualms with the selection.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 05:53 AM)
This is silly.

I bet the Brewers front office is thrilled to get two college pitchers who are considered close to being major league ready. It's exactly what that organization needed, so I give them the best first round of anyone.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 12:21 AM)
It sounds like Sox will be taking a ton of pitchers in the next few rounds. I have a feeling we were going to take Goodwin if he was still around.

Wait a minute, the Nationals took Goodwin. I was thinking Bell. lol.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 12:22 AM)
I bet the Brewers front office is thrilled to get two college pitchers who are considered close to being major league ready. It's exactly what that organization needed, so I give them the best first round of anyone.

Yes, they did exactly what they had to do. I personally think the Nationals had the best day 1.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)
Keith Law is a genius. He hates on Sox prospects because it's warranted. What the hell have we produced homegrown wise during the KW era? Nothing. He could create an account on this board right now and post exactly what he thinks and he'd fit right in with most of the board. Hail Keith Law!

Paulie was an awful signing and Crawford was one of the best ever.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
The board has been pretty positive regarding our first round picks the last few years

Yes and at the time that was warranted. It really can't be said enough how awesome the Sale pick was. Teams were backing off of him because of signability and the Sox worked around that. Obviously, his upside is lower as a reliever, but you still have to love the pick.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)

The question is why are you so crabby all the time?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 01:15 AM)
Yes and at the time that was warranted. It really can't be said enough how awesome the Sale pick was. Teams were backing off of him because of signability and the Sox worked around that. Obviously, his upside is lower as a reliever, but you still have to love the pick.

I seem to recall that Law's biggest criticism of the Sale pick was that he didn't see him profiling as a starter. I don't recall him ever questioning Sale's stuff but rather the lack of pitches in his arsenal as well as his durability.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 03:18 AM)
:lolhitting

Drafting a reliever with the 13th overall pick is a terrible strategy.

Considering most first-round picks do nothing as major leaguers, even a relieving Chris Sale will be a fine pick.

Obviously his value is higher as a starter, and I think he will be made a starter next year, but he was a terrific pick regardless where he ends up. If he is a reliever, he is gonna be a late-inning reliever of some sort and that still has tremendous value.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
Considering most first-round picks do nothing as major leaguers, even a relieving Chris Sale will be a fine pick.

Obviously his value is higher as a starter, and I think he will be made a starter next year, but he was a terrific pick regardless where he ends up. If he is a reliever, he is gonna be a late-inning reliever of some sort and that still has tremendous value.

That is what I don't get. He is already here, in the major leagues, and contributing. How many players drafted can ever say that? I don't care if they are a DH, if they are doing a job in the majors, they were a good pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
The board has been pretty positive regarding our first round picks the last few years

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
Nice write up by sickels. This makes Mitchell seem like a bust though

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 04:18 AM)
:lolhitting

Drafting a reliever with the 13th overall pick is a terrible strategy.

If you draft a guy 13 and he turns out to be a good reliever, you're content with that. Most guys who are drafted after #10 never give you 1 WAR.

But if you're drafting a guy at 13 who can only turn into a reliever, that's the bad strategy. Chris Sale at least still could be starting if the org chose to use him that way.

Wait wait wait. We gotta remember we don't typically draft guys to develop them fully, but to trade them instead. Hopefully this guy slaps up a .330 in WS and Kanny next year with 60 SBs and we ship him off for some ready talent. Can't wait.