Official 2011 MLB Draft - Day 1

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
I don't think they can draft him. I don't think he is back in the draft yet.

TSN story says differently

And there are some interesting storylines developing in this draft, particularly with players with impressive baseball, or just plain sports bloodlines.

There's Trevor Gretzky, son of NHL legend Wayne Gretzky. He was the starting quarterback at his high school, and is scheduled to go to college at San Diego where Tony Gwynn would be his manager.

Dante Bichette Jr. is also draft eligible, joining Steve Garvey's son Ryan, and Ozzie Guillen's son Ozney. Pudge Rodriguez son Dereck and Bobby Bonilla's son Brandon also hope to have their name called this draft.

I was just going off this.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
TSN story says differently

I was just going off this.

I believe he is at Miami Dade CC, which would make him eligible for the draft even after one year. Only if you attend a four-year college must you wait three years to be eligible again.

Actually hit .347, .400 OBP, 11 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 1 HR and 33 RBI. Also only made two errors at 3B this year. Very similar numbers to Brian Goodwin who was his teammate at Miami Dade and a former Sox draftee.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
I believe he is at Miami Dade CC, which would make him eligible for the draft even after one year. Only if you attend a four-year college must you wait three years to be eligible again.

Just found this

Feeling another draft:

His season with Miami-Dade Junior College over, Ozney Guillen was back at U.S. Cellular Field on Friday.

The youngest son of White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, Ozney batted .420 this season while primarily playing third base. He can also play first and the outfield.

Last June, a controversy ensued after the Sox waited until the 22nd round to draft Ozney. He didn't sign and wound up spending the season at Miami-Dade.

This year, Ozney has heard talk he'll be drafted in the first 10 rounds.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)

Actually hit .347, .400 OBP, 11 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 1 HR and 33 RBI. Also only made two errors at 3B this year. Very similar numbers to Brian Goodwin who was his teammate at Miami Dade and a former Sox draftee.

I didn't know that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
Bubba Starling is generating some serious helium. There's rumblings he could go as high as second, though I doubt it. I saw one mock that had him going to the Cubs. Let's hope not.

THAT will not happen. A genuine 5-tool talented player like Bubba will go top 3, IMHO.

Possible, quite possible, dare I even say it...Junior-type-caliber-player?????

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
THAT will not happen. A genuine 5-tool talented player like Bubba will go top 3, IMHO.

Possible, quite possible, dare I even say it...Junior-type-caliber-player?????

I know it won't. And that mock I saw was from like 3 weeks ago. He'll probably end up with the Royals. You know how badly their farm is lacking. As far as comparisons go, the best one I've heard was Drew Stubbs with more plate discipline.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
I know it won't. And that mock I saw was from like 3 weeks ago. He'll probably end up with the Royals. You know how badly their farm is lacking. As far as comparisons go, the best one I've heard was Drew Stubbs with more plate discipline.

Supposedly the Royals are lukewarm on Starling. Much of the connection is just because he's a local boy and it's severely overstated. They are all over college pitching or Bundy who is just about as polished.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
Supposedly the Royals are lukewarm on Starling. Much of the connection is just because he's a local boy and it's severely overstated. They are all over college pitching or Bundy who is just about as polished.

Yeah, that was just a random guess. The Royals are probably even more inclined to go pitcher after what happened to John Lamb. Starling will definitely not slip past Washington, though. Rizzo loves him. The Nationals are going to be a powerhouse really soon.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
Nothing wrong with drafting Ozney, if at the right round. The joke wasn't drafting KW at all - it was drafting him in the 5th round instead of the 40th, and trying to act like he's a prime prospect.

Supposedly Ozney is supposed to be a legit prospect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
Supposedly Ozney is supposed to be a legit prospect.

Yeah, he definitely is. I would still rather steer clear. He isn't an impact talent and having him in the minors of the Sox would just cause disruption.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Ozney is a quality prospect. I have no problem drafting him (as long as it is in an appropriate round).

Do you have any information on Ozney? Has his stock really risen that much? He was absolutely considered a "meh" prospect last year by most sources. I recall it vividly.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Do you have any information on Ozney? Has his stock really risen that much? He was absolutely considered a "meh" prospect last year by most sources. I recall it vividly.

i think this post needs the obligatory "which would put him in our top 10 prospects" post.

It has risen a bit due to his ability to hit. But he is still something like the 60th rated prospect in his state (albeit, it is a state loaded with talent). In no way am I insinuating he is a top 3 round talent or anything like that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
I find it comical that we burned a 6th round pick on Kenny Williams, Jr.

I don't know if comical is the word I would use....but, yeah something like that.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

Hopefully the Sox actually sign their early-ish picks this year. Especially considering they don't have a 1st round pick to spend on. Not signing Grimes, Terry, or McDonald last year kinda sucks when the farm desperately needs talent.

Edited by DirtySox

Sometimes I wish, just once they Sox could get a #1 pick if only for one year, to get that stud, that consensus TOP GUY to boost the system.

But, with KW et al in charge, they'd Ryan Leaf it somehow haha

(I know Leaf was #1 but you get the metaphor)