Official 2011 MLB Draft - Day 1

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
On MLB Network, Harold Reynolds just compared Bubba Starling to Griffey and A-Rod. Quite the compliment.

The tools are ridiculous and thus so is the ceiling. He's very raw though. A very risky pick, but the payoff could be huge.

Interesting...

Sleeper Alert: Onelki Garcia Speck

It's not often a player emerges as a pop-up candidate to go in the first round the day of the draft—especially in a year with this kind of depth—but such is the case this year with Onelki Garcia Speck, a lefthander who defected from Cuba. Garcia could go as highly as the back half of the first round.

Details on Garcia are fuzzy, but Baseball America has learned that he throws in the 92-95 mph range with an above-average curveball. An article (in Spanish) in The New Herald by Jorge Ebro from 2008 said Garcia Speck was 20 years old, which would make him 23 this year.

The agency representing Garcia, Miami Sports Consulting, LLC, has reportedly sent teams a fax demanding a major league deal, but as a Cuban that must be drafted instead of signed as a free agent, his leverage appears limited.

According to one source, Garcia pitched three seasons with Guantanimo, going 12-12, 4.73 over 205 innings. In 46 games (45 starts), he struck out 195 but walked 128. His last season was 2009-10, when he went 5-6, 3.40.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/...i-garcia-speck/

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
Sometimes I wish, just once they Sox could get a #1 pick if only for one year, to get that stud, that consensus TOP GUY to boost the system.

But, with KW et al in charge, they'd Ryan Leaf it somehow haha

(I know Leaf was #1 but you get the metaphor)

This is kinda why I'm so in favor of a total rebuild. And why I could live with (though I concede it won't be easy) 2-3 s***ty years if that enables us to fatten up the system with premium studs. Winning 81-85 games every year doesn't tickle my fancy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
Franciso Lindor to the Cubs gathering steam. That'd actually be a nice pick. Worry about what you do with he and Castro later.

Many seem to worry that he is going to outgrow SS. Shifting him over to 2B is absolutely in the realm of possibilities.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
Sometimes I wish, just once they Sox could get a #1 pick if only for one year, to get that stud, that consensus TOP GUY to boost the system.

But, with KW et al in charge, they'd Ryan Leaf it somehow haha

(I know Leaf was #1 but you get the metaphor)

Maybe by drafting Tim Beckham?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
On MLB Network, Harold Reynolds just compared Bubba Starling to Griffey and A-Rod. Quite the compliment.

I think comparing the #1 pick to Griffey and ARod basically happens every year.

Edit: or at least every year it's not a pitcher.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
Franciso Lindor to the Cubs gathering steam. That'd actually be a nice pick. Worry about what you do with he and Castro later.

I know he's never going to set foot on campus. Even if he doesn't sign, he won't go D1. Even though he committed, he hasn't signed the LOI yet. Just add him to the list of guys Joe Mauer, the Uptons, and Cuddyer (never committed to a school, but still gives money to our program).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
This is kinda why I'm so in favor of a total rebuild. And why I could live with (though I concede it won't be easy) 2-3 s***ty years if that enables us to fatten up the system with premium studs. Winning 81-85 games every year doesn't tickle my fancy.

But how do you feel about a total rebuild done by KW? He never would, I think, but if he did would you have confidence he could net quality prospects?

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
But how do you feel about a total rebuild done by KW? He never would, I think, but if he did would you have confidence he could net quality prospects?

That's the problem with re-building in my opinion, KW doesn't identify prospects well. I think we need to, but with someone other than KW at the helm.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
That's the problem with re-building in my opinion, KW doesn't identify prospects well. I think we need to, but with someone other than KW at the helm.

Ya, if we ever go into full rebuild mode, KW certainly isn't the man for the job.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
I think comparing the #1 pick to Griffey and ARod basically happens every year.

Edit: or at least every year it's not a pitcher.

Yeah, but I just thought it was more impressive coming from a guy who was Griffey's teammate.