Sox just 6.0 games back of 1st place

macsandz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The minute this team can consistantly beat teams in our division ( outside of the Indians ) thats the minute we can start to take this seriously. First step get to .500, next step start to beat the teams in your division. If that happens then we have a shot. If we keep dropping to teams in our division there is no way we can be in this thing for the long haul.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
The minute this team can consistantly beat teams in our division ( outside of the Indians ) thats the minute we can start to take this seriously. First step get to .500, next step start to beat the teams in your division. If that happens then we have a shot. If we keep dropping to teams in our division there is no way we can be in this thing for the long haul.

We've played 17 division games. Not much has been proven yet.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 04:39 AM)
Gee, it's not like anyone has been saying the Indians were going to have a stretch like this... :unsure:

Still eight back in the loss column, which is only picking up four games in that total in this whole stretch.

Still anemic against teams in our division.

I love the Sox always and am hopeful, but team still gets a D for the season performance thus far.

Lot of problems on this team. Like you said the worst problem inability to get up for an beat teams in the Central, shaky bullpen aside from Sergio and awful production from the highest pad players.

GO SOX!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
We've played 17 division games. Not much has been proven yet.

They were 8 games under 500 against their division last year, and 4 games under the previous year. So there is enough of a pattern over the last few years to think that there might be an issue that needs to be corrected.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
Because of that, many folks were paying more attention to the Tigers. Sox lost half a game to the Tigers during that same stretch.

It is amazing to me that they only lost half a game, because it seemed like the Sox sort of struggled for a portion of that, the Tigers played well, and then the Tigers beat the Sox in that series.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
Still eight back in the loss column, which is only picking up four games in that total in this whole stretch.

I love the Sox always and am hopeful, but team still gets a D for the season performance thus far.

Lot of problems on this team. Like you said the worst problem inability to get up for an beat teams in the Central, shaky bullpen aside from Sergio and awful production from the highest pad players.

GO SOX!

That looks worse than it is, yes we lost games (in droves to start the season unfortunately) but the Sox also haven't been rained out all year and have played 4 more games than the Indians... (3 more than Detroit)

6-9 vs AL Central Opponents

9-14 vs sub .500 Opponents

8 back in the loss column

if you can't beat the teams in your division, OR beat s***ty sub .500 teams, you aren't going to the playoffs

100 games left.

On the plus side, they're something like 12-1 or 13-1 against the M's at USCF since 2008.

That sub .500 stat is a little bit misleading, we've beaten up the Mariners pretty good and they're now just 2 games over that mark and were below .500 when we played them in Seattle at the start of the West Coast road trip.

Everyone can continue to spin this to suit their own purposes.

All I know is that this team is better than it has performed, and that will be proven as more chances present themselves.

And this is exactly what many of us argued. Not to overreact. No overcorrections. Patience.

Did you guys really think the Tigers are that much better than us? I understand they are 5-1 against us...but they don't particularly frighten me with Don Kelly/Adam Dirks/Danny Worth, etc....

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 07:11 AM)
Did you guys really think the Tigers are that much better than us? I understand they are 5-1 against us...but they don't particularly frighten me with Don Kelly/Adam Dirks/Danny Worth, etc....

If Adam Dunn and Alex Rios continue hitting like this, yes.

If They begin resembling Adam Dunn and Alex Rios, then no.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 07:09 AM)

I'll take our team against them regardless, but your point is well-received.

We should have won all three of those games in my mind.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)

Nailed. The Sox have been making up ground pretty well with those two being next to worthless. If those two start to hit like they usually do - which I think will happen, just a question of when - then this team definitely can compete with DET or anyone else in the division.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
Nailed. The Sox have been making up ground pretty well with those two being next to worthless. If those two start to hit like they usually do - which I think will happen, just a question of when - then this team definitely can compete with DET or anyone else in the division.

The problem with that is "usually" for Rios since the start of 2009 equals pretty bad, save for the first couple of months last year.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
The problem with that is "usually" for Rios since the start of 2009 equals pretty bad, save for the first couple of months last year.

I am thinking in terms of total season numbers. He is right now well below anything like his career or season averages.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
I am thinking in terms of total season numbers. He is right now well below anything like his career or season averages.

The reason I think BS is legitimately skeptical is that there appear to be 2 Alex Rios's...the Normal, borderline All Star Alex Rios who puts up an .800-.850ish OPS, and the "Slump" Alex Rios that showed up in the 2nd half of 2009 and for the full 2011 so far...who belongs in AA.

It's seemed like a lightswitch with him so far. Either he's normal Rios or he's this rios.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
The reason I think BS is legitimately skeptical is that there appear to be 2 Alex Rios's...the Normal, borderline All Star Alex Rios who puts up an .800-.850ish OPS, and the "Slump" Alex Rios that showed up in the 2nd half of 2009 and for the full 2011 so far...who belongs in AA.

It's seemed like a lightswitch with him so far. Either he's normal Rios or he's this rios.

Well yeah, I think we all know that about him. But how many seasons has he had, where he has been bad Rios (like his current numbers) for the full year? I am 95% sure he goes on a tear, and probably soon.

I'm not saying that makes everything OK, by the way. Just saying that gives me some optimism for the remainder of the season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:09 AM)
Well yeah, I think we all know that about him. But how many seasons has he had, where he has been bad Rios (like his current numbers) for the full year? I am 95% sure he goes on a tear, and probably soon.

I'm not saying that makes everything OK, by the way. Just saying that gives me some optimism for the remainder of the season.

Yeah, I don't think anyone can count on anything out of Rios. I know there is a lot of talent in there, but I just don't know when or if it will come out.

Now Dunn, on the other hand, I am in full agreement with Wite about. You just don't do what he's done for that long of time, in three different organizations, and then fall off a ledge like this. He will be back.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)

GO SOX!

To look at the loss column at this point in the season is RIDICULOUS. More important is that the Tribe has played 4 less games than we have , and will likely lose two of those.

If you've actually watched the Indians play, you couldn't possibly be worried. Their pitching is a mirage.

We're chasing the Tigers - Cleveland will be irrelevant soon.