Sox just 6.0 games back of 1st place

macsandz

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:15 AM)
I certainly don't think the White Sox are 'cured' and primed to take over the division. But the fact is they've played much better ball the last month and have made up considerable ground. And you talk about how Cleveland is struggling. How else are we supposed to make up ground on them if we're not playing them? lol. The Indians offense and bullpen are legit. No doubt in my mind. When Choo and Santana get going, and they will, they probably have the best offense in the division. But their rotation is beyond suspect. And they've been getting torpedoed of late. 87 wins is mediocre. But we're not in the al east. That could very well be just enough to win this division.

I can't argue with anything in this post. But that's the thing, you're not really arguing with anything I've said either.

We're mediocre and it looks like Cleveland is coming back to earth, which part of that should get me excited? Can you point it out, because I can't find it

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:18 AM)
I can't argue with anything in this post. But that's the thing, you're not really arguing with anything I've said either.

We're mediocre and it looks like Cleveland is coming back to earth, which part of that should get me excited? Can you point it out, because I can't find it

Do you not want to win the division? That's all I care about. Once the playoff starts all bets are off. Seems like you're saying that because it might not take 90 wins that it will mean less. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:20 AM)
Do you not want to win the division? That's all I care about. Once the playoff starts all bets are off. Seems like you're saying that because it might not take 90 wins that it will mean less. And maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Let me clarify

I don't think we'll win the division because the Twins give this team fits every year, and even when they're horrible they come into our ballpark and f***ing no-hit us. Detroit is also better than we are, and has no problem beating this team this year (or last year, aren't we 1-11 against them in the last 12 games?)

I watch every game, and I refuse to get excited when we beat King Felix, Pineida, Lester, or whatever other Ace we face that isn't in our division, because those wins mean little to nothing when you can't beat the Twins or Tigers, which we didn't do last year and aren't doing this year

It wouldn't even surprise me if we leapfrog Cleveland because we've owned them so far this year, but Detroit looks better than them and looks better than us, and Minnesota is still lingering around and is enough of a threat to THIS team that even if they finish last in the Central, could still keep this team from winning the division because they beat our ass every year

It will take a massive turn around for me to start believing this team can contend this year, and just looking at W/L isn't enough for me at this point of the year. It'll take a lot more games against our divisional opponents before I'm convinced this team can win the division

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:14 AM)
So you're saying if we pass the indians, we're good?

87 wins isn't mediocre to you? Haha ok!

Have you been watching this team? I don't think you have.. at least that's the conclusion I'm drawing from your posts

I watch the games, yes. I pay $200-some dollars to watch the games, since I live in Las Vegas.

No, I do not think we are good if we pass the Indians. But if we continue to play well, and they continue to more accurately resemble the ballclub they actually are, then yes, over the course of 162 games, we will have a better record than the Cleveland Indians.

87 wins, after beginning the season 11-22, would mean we would have been winning at a 59% clip since early May. That would stack up with just about any other playoff contender in baseball, IMO.

We've got one of the better starting rotations in baseball. We've also got a few big home run hitters. This is usually a recipe for playoff success and the same recipe certainly worked fairly well in our previous deep run into the postseason. So our final record is really immaterial if it means we make the postseason.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:27 AM)
Let me clarify

I don't think we'll win the division because the Twins give this team fits every year, and even when they're horrible they come into our ballpark and f***ing no-hit us. Detroit is also better than we are, and has no problem beating this team this year (or last year, aren't we 1-11 against them in the last 12 games?)

I watch every game, and I refuse to get excited when we beat King Felix, Pineida, Lester, or whatever other Ace we face that isn't in our division, because those wins mean little to nothing when you can't beat the Twins or Tigers, which we didn't do last year and aren't doing this year

It wouldn't even surprise me if we leapfrog Cleveland because we've owned them so far this year, but Detroit looks better than them and looks better than us, and Minnesota is still lingering around and is enough of a threat to THIS team that even if they finish last in the Central, could still keep this team from winning the division because they beat our ass every year

It will take a massive turn around for me to start believing this team can contend this year, and just looking at W/L isn't enough for me at this point of the year. It'll take a lot more games against our divisional opponents before I'm convinced this team can win the division

I get you now. Fair enough. But I will say to be where we are with Dunn, Rios, Danks and Thornton all being bad to deplorable by itself is enough reason to be optimistic. And no, Scott Merkin did not hack into my account. I just can't help but get encouraged when we beat Pineda and Felix. But back to Mr. negative if we lose to Vargas.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:32 AM)
I get you now. Fair enough. But I will say to be where we are with Dunn, Rios, Danks and Thornton all being bad to deplorable by itself is enough reason to be optimistic. And no, Scott Merkin did not hack into my account. I just can't help but get encouraged when we beat Pineda and Felix. But back to Mr. negative if we lose to Vargas.

I agree that tonight is a huge game for us. We need to get on a roll at home and we need to win the games where the pitching matchup is in our favor. Too many times we win games like we have the last two, only to then lay an egg against a far lesser pitcher the next day.

I feel good with Gavin on the mound tonight though.

Sweep.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:31 AM)
Why has it taken so long to ban real? Stupidity is clearly not enough, evidently, considering there are a few (a few... lolz) still roaming around the place. Even them, i can deal with, if we must. Real? He tops most in that category, and is troll to boot. Please can the guttersnipe before it's too late.

Have no problem with him whatsoever. There have been much worse posters in terms of stupidity and pure ignorance. (most are banned) He is terrible in the NBA forums as far as pessimism, but he does know the game better than half the posters when he actually post about the game of basketball, and not two word lines about the "Bulls suck(ing)" or "D-Rose overrated (or garbage)" or "Miami's b****" junk (not to mention his "predictions"). Same can be said here on Pale Hose.

Then again, I haven't been around as much as I use to be, so maybe I'm missing something...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)
87 wins, after beginning the season 11-22, would mean we would have been winning at a 59% clip since early May. That would stack up with just about any other playoff contender in baseball, IMO.

FWIW, we've been winning at a 63% clip since early may.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:38 AM)
FWIW, we've been winning at a 63% clip since early may.

Yes, I know this.

He used a 14 game stretch where we went 8-6 to prognosticate a total of 87 wins. I was merely using his prediction.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 11:41 PM)
we've been mediocre going by the W/L record over that time, it's just that Cleveland has been horrible

Which is how you make up games. Its either that or be awesome when other teams are meh. Either way, the games still count.