Official 2011 MLB Draft - Day 2

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
FutureSox has a report up on McMillen. Haven't see anything for Snodgrass yet.

McMillen

I'm not going to do any individual reports for the rest of today. Follow the draft tracker for updates on the later picks. Just hit refresh when we take guys. I'll put the tidbits I can find.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Not going to lie. On first glance, I really hate our draft.

It's a little disappointing, but whatever. Outside of having a first round pick, there's no way anyone can have confidence in our scouts.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
@conorglassey: The White Sox were linked to #Stanford LHP Scott Snodgress with pick 47. Getting him in the 5th round makes more sense.

Think we can all agree that for the sake of J4L's sanity, it's a good thing this didn't happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
It's a little disappointing, but whatever. Outside of having a first round pick, there's no way anyone can have confidence in our scouts.

We could have the best scouts in the world. I don't know. We haven't developed much. I have a lot of faith in our development people on the pitching side though.

I do like the pick of Smith (former Pitt QB who went back to baseball, supposedly has a ton of power potential but is incredibly raw). I just hate that we took 3 straight relievers early in the draft. Just reeks of cheapness to me, but whatever. Individually they all have decent stuff, its just, the value is in potential starters.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...d/s_608723.html

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
We could have the best scouts in the world. I don't know. We haven't developed much. I have a lot of faith in our development people on the pitching side though.

Not to cause a debate in the draft thread, but it still puzzles me why people think Buddy Bell is doing some fantastic job with the farm system?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
Not to cause a debate in the draft thread, but it still puzzles me why people think Buddy Bell is doing some fantastic job with the farm system?

How could I be the judge of that. It takes time to change a team. I mentioned in the other thread that we won't know how good Buddy has done for another 2 or so years. Stuff doesn't change over night and it will take time to see if progress has really been made.

Smith was the #8 ranked college catcher in this years draft. Pretty nice upside for a college senior.

As soon as I complain, SOx make 2 straight picks I like. Gardeck has a great arm and was one of the best righties in the state of Illinois. Real nice velocity, solid build. I like it. Should have taken more guys like this (more talented obviously) in rounds 3 through 5.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
That would be the cherry on the sundae. This has been a putrid draft for the Sox so far. 2006 style. I like the Soptic pick. That's it.

From what I've read on Gardeck, you have to like that pick too.

I like the Kevan Smith pick, maybe a bit early for a college senior, but he reminds me of Mike Blanke. A catcher with big offensive numbers in college.