Sox Draft OF Keenyn Walker with #47

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
I miss stuff like that, but I sort of understand it. I think that's the hope of the organization.

Honestly, I don't mind this draft philosophy. Draft athletes who project to CF (or SS, though they haven't done that yet) who can grow into their bodies. If they grow so big and get good enough offensively, you can switch positions. If you draft a 1B at 47 overall, you better know that dude is either going to hit 30 homers a year or is going to rise quickly. Having multiple tools doesn't hurt. Thought I read he had a good arm too.

Seems to me Walker at the moment is a

20/40 Bat

20/35 Power

75/80 Speed

40/80 Field

60/80 Arm

The two that bug me the most are the bat and power. Those, especially the bat, are the most easily coached and able to go above the initial scouting report. If they can develop him into a 50 bat with a decent eye at the plate, then the rest is golden. The stealing will translate over time and the fielding and arm will get better through mere repetition.

Hope and pray that the worst case scenario is Carlos Gomez. At least then, if he's still broadcasting (and alive, quite frankly), Hawk will be able to gush about how big of a Twins kills Keenyn Walker in.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7562

Can we starting getting some credit for developing this guy?

Typical "big athlete" who never really profiled as a true SS and ended up getting moved all over the field. His power was questionable for a corner infielder or outfielder. Seems like he's finally found a home at age 29.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 05:11 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7562

Can we starting getting some credit for developing this guy?

Typical "big athlete" who never really profiled as a true SS and ended up getting moved all over the field. His power was questionable for a corner infielder or outfielder. Seems like he's finally found a home at age 29.

How do we deserve credit for that?

QUOTE (SoxnGiants @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
If we had a better track record developing players like this I would be pretty happy with the pick. The tools are there.

No kidding. Though it isn't just with 5 tool guys.

We are fine with developing pitchers. Our developing of hitters however is...well... not good.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)
Yeah it is, Morel was fast tracked to the bigs because of his defense. They understand that half of the game is catching the ball, and finding and developing someone who can do it really well would be a great thing.

Morel was also fast tracked because no one in the minors could get him out.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:55 AM)
How do we deserve credit for that?

When we pick up a guy who was in someone else's org 3-4 years ago and they start performing our staff gets no credit for that, so when someone else picks up a guy we had long ago and he starts performing that must be a credit to us.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
Pretty much. We're not talking about some premium talent here. But I'm certainly not going to be checking every day to see if he's signed yet. Bust of a pick and a horrible draft overall.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
If a crazy, suicidal f*** jumps off the top of the Sears Tower (I will never refer to it as the Willis Tower), I don't have to wait until he/she hits the ground to no that fool is dead. s***ty analogy. But same difference. I know you're an optimist. I have no problem with that. It's a natural tendency to think the team that you cheer for and love can do something with a player(s) that nobody else could. But those that are not drinking the kool-aid just because said player happens to be a White Sox shouldn't be looked upon as evil demons that just like to be negative for the sake of being negative. I've said this many times before. If the Cubs were set to insert Humber into their rotation EVERY single poster on this board, and that includes you SS2K5 and JoeCool, would be laughing their asses off. This is undeniable fact. Now if somehow, someway, Humber pulls a horseshoe out his ass and is even serviceable, great. It won't make me feel stupid for not expecting a thing from him this year. He's done nothing in his career, outside of being a high draft pick sever years ago, that warrants any type of faith.

Nice work heads. I keep waiting to see the jumper from my office window.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
When we pick up a guy who was in someone else's org 3-4 years ago and they start performing our staff gets no credit for that, so when someone else picks up a guy we had long ago and he starts performing that must be a credit to us.

Not to mention we drafted him in the 3rd round.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
I miss stuff like that, but I sort of understand it. I think that's the hope of the organization.

Honestly, I don't mind this draft philosophy. Draft athletes who project to CF (or SS, though they haven't done that yet) who can grow into their bodies. If they grow so big and get good enough offensively, you can switch positions. If you draft a 1B at 47 overall, you better know that dude is either going to hit 30 homers a year or is going to rise quickly. Having multiple tools doesn't hurt. Thought I read he had a good arm too.

Seems to me Walker at the moment is a

20/40 Bat

20/35 Power

75/80 Speed

40/80 Field

60/80 Arm

The two that bug me the most are the bat and power. Those, especially the bat, are the most easily coached and able to go above the initial scouting report. If they can develop him into a 50 bat with a decent eye at the plate, then the rest is golden. The stealing will translate over time and the fielding and arm will get better through mere repetition.

Hope and pray that the worst case scenario is Carlos Gomez. At least then, if he's still broadcasting (and alive, quite frankly), Hawk will be able to gush about how big of a Twins kills Keenyn Walker in.

That screams Franklin Gutierrez to me.

Here we go again...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/...draft-thus-far/

"Shocker white sox pick another good athlete black kid. How about picking a good baseball player" -Oney

I don't think it's a big deal, but the media will obviously have a field day.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 08:03 AM)

OK that article was pathetic. I know Ozzie says some stupid s***, but that was a Hawk Harrelson, medium fly-ball STRETCH! Ozzie hasn't said a thing of substance yet. Speculating is one thing, but projecting is another.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
OK that article was pathetic. I know Ozzie says some stupid s***, but that was a Hawk Harrelson, medium fly-ball STRETCH! Ozzie hasn't said a thing of substance yet. Speculating is one thing, but projecting is another.

I'd say the juicy tweet was Oney.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)

His tweet was pathetic. Keep your mouth shut, Ozzie.

He tweets that he is in a s***ty mood on a night that we beat Felix and beat Pineda the night before.

If he wants to be upset, fine, but he knew people would know exactly what he was referring to since he tweeted he was pissed on a night we beat the reigning Cy Young winner.

He's an attention whore. Well, there is your attention, Ozzie.

Grow the hell up, OG.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:18 AM)
His tweet was pathetic. Keep your mouth shut, Ozzie.

He tweets that he is in a s***ty mood on a night that we beat Felix and beat Pineda the night before.

If he wants to be upset, fine, but he knew people would know exactly what he was referring to since he tweeted he was pissed on a night we beat the reigning Cy Young winner.

He's an attention whore. Well, there is your attention, Ozzie.

Grow the hell up, OG's.

Corrected for inclusiveness.

The Oney tweet is bad, and though he's no longer an employee, the public perception is of a closeness to the organization, and JR, KW can't be thrilled.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- Those fans who attended the 2011 NJCAA World Series in Grand Junction, Colorado, had a chance to see a player who just might be the White Sox leadoff man in three years performing at his optimum level.

"During the World Series, he really proved himself as one of the best players in JUCO baseball," said Central Arizona College baseball coach John Wente of Keenyn Walker, the White Sox top pick in the 2011 First-Year Player, selected at No. 47 in Compensation Round A on Monday.

"He did a little bit of everything," Wente added. "He stole bases. We stuck him in right field and he threw a guy out at first base on a base hit. He hits an [opposite-field] homer left-handed. He hit an inside-the-park home run. He showed everyone at the tournament he's a special player."

Keenyn Walker discusses being drafted by the White Sox with the 47th overall pick in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft

That special talent truly came to the surface during Walker's second season with Central Arizona.

In 2010, Walker hit .299 with 16 RBIs and 42 runs scored over 58 games. It was his first year out of Judge Memorial High School in Utah and his first year where he wasn't stealing bases for part of the year and setting interception records as a defensive back for the other part.

Draft Central

Giving up football was a tough decision, according to comments made by Walker during a Tuesday conference call. But once he decided baseball was the way to go, his talent really seemed to explode.

"Out of high school, I really wanted to play football," Walker said. "I still miss it to this day. Something hit me one day, and it was that baseball was what I wanted to do. I had more of a future there and stuck with it.

"Last year was kind of a disappointment, my freshman year at school. I didn't play that much. But, this year, I got in a groove. I got better, hit the weight room harder and worked out harder."

Walker's work ethic translated into amazing numbers during the 2011 season.

As a 20-year-old sophomore, Walker batted .402 (86-for-214) with 11 doubles, eight triples and four home runs. He added in 50 RBIs, 76 runs scored and 65 stolen bases in 68 attempts over 63 games.

About the only thing missing from Walker's resume was a NJCAA championship. Navarro College grabbed a 6-4 victory in 10 innings, but it was Walker who helped make it possible for the Vaqueros to get that far.

"He was unbelievable this year," Wente said. "The reason why we had the year we had was Keenyn Walker. He made our offense go. He put a lot of pressure on the defense. That was one of the better years we had in our place.

"Keenyn has all the tools to make a great baseball player. He can run, hit for power, hit for average. He can play center field and has a plus arm. There are so many ways he can impact a game."

One of the biggest changes Walker had to make was going from a colder weather area in Utah for high school to an area in Arizona near Casa Grande, between Phoenix and Tucson, where games were never rained out. Walker had to figure out what it takes to play the game every day, a solution he clearly found.

"It has been a fun part to see," Wente said. "It has been fun to see his maturation and to see him grow."

The Cubs took Walker in the 16th round coming out of high school in 2009, but Walker very candidly said on Tuesday that the Cubs didn't offer the right amount of money and he felt a little more was there to be had. In 2010, the Phillies selected Walker in the 38th round.

This missed signing was about timing, as Walker already had his books and classes set when the Phillies made their offer. Walker has committed to Utah, potentially playing for the hometown university.

But Walker's comments on Tuesday made it seem as if he is strongly leaning toward joining the White Sox.

"I definitely want to sign and start my career in pro ball, but another year in school won't hurt," Walker said. "It's really whatever to me, but I definitely want to sign."

"You are talking about a hometown kid going home to play in the new PAC 12, so I don't know which way he'll go," Wente said. "I think he's ready this year to finally be a professional player. I was not 100 percent sure I was ready to say that last year. What he decides is up to him and his family, but he feels ready to go out."

If Walker reaches the Majors, he'll join other former Central Arizona standouts turned big league players such as Ian Kinsler, Scott Hairston, Rich Harden, Tom and Matt Pagnozzi, Dan Wheeler and Aaron Myette. Playing for the White Sox certainly would be a thrill, for both Walker and the organization, if Walker lives up to his projected ability. But it might not be as thrilling as hearing his name called on Monday.

"When I heard my name, I was in shock," Walker said. "All I could hear was my mom screaming and that was about it.

"I'm going to let the cards play, but I want to be in the big leagues by three years. Other than that, you never know what's going to happen. I just need to work hard every day. I still have room for improvement."

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 08:03 AM)
Here we go again...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/...draft-thus-far/

"Shocker white sox pick another good athlete black kid. How about picking a good baseball player" -Oney

I don't think it's a big deal, but the media will obviously have a field day.

It's not a big deal, and I guarantee a good percentage of knowledgeable Sox fans who are familiar with the organization and how they've drafted recently said exactly the same thing. Also, I understand all the issues surrounding his involvement in the organization and how it's perceived by outsiders so let's not waste time discussing that.

I believe what these last several years have shown is a strategy from our organization to take advantage of a market (black baseball multi-sport athletes that is neglected by professional scouts. They're hell bent on trying to develop their Carl Crawford (who was selected 52nd overall in 1999 btw).

Honestly, I cannot even comment on this draft overall because I put no time into researching available players. I forced myself several years ago to assume every White Sox prospect is a bust until proven otherwise, and wouldn't you know, I began to feel less concerned with the pile of filth rotting in our system. Sure, it's embarrassing; but unlike several years ago when very few aside from myself were willing to criticize the minor league system, now everyone is aware of it's crappiness.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Can you imagine the absolute fecal storm that this would cause if it were a WHITE manager's son making this ridiculous statement? What a f'n tool.

Hopefully if he had the same record of statements that Oney has...it would just provoke the exact sort of groans being given out here.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
It's not a big deal, and I guarantee a good percentage of knowledgeable Sox fans who are familiar with the organization and how they've drafted recently said exactly the same thing. Also, I understand all the issues surrounding his involvement in the organization and how it's perceived by outsiders so let's not waste time discussing that.

I believe what these last several years have shown is a strategy from our organization to take advantage of a market (black baseball multi-sport athletes that is neglected by professional scouts. They're hell bent on trying to develop their Carl Crawford (who was selected 52nd overall in 1999 btw).

Honestly, I cannot even comment on this draft overall because I put no time into researching available players. I forced myself several years ago to assume every White Sox prospect is a bust until proven otherwise, and wouldn't you know, I began to feel less concerned with the pile of filth rotting in our system. Sure, it's embarrassing; but unlike several years ago when very few aside from myself were willing to criticize the minor league system, now everyone is aware of it's crappiness.

Yup. I remember you calling the system out as far back as 2006. When we were about 18 seconds fresh off a World Series title. I didn't follow farms and prospects back then like I do now. And even if I had I was too drunk off the World Series kool-aid. I remember you saying that the putrid drafting for so many years straight would come back to bite us in the ass at some point. And you were undoubtedly right.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 03:42 AM)
Heads bookmarked that post so if by chance Humber rose from the abyss of worthless baseball pitcher he could throw it back at me.

;)

Didn't bookmark it, just remembered it.