PFH

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,190063.story

Phil Humber has been a bright spot for the Chicago White Sox this season, and pitching coach Don Cooper is getting much of the credit for helping to turn around the former phenom.

Humber, who bounced around among several teams after being the No. 3 overall selection by the New York Mets in the 2004 amateur draft, is 5-3 and has allowed three earned runs or fewer in seven of his past eight starts. He's 3-1 during that span with a 2.37 ERA and has limited opponents to a .187 batting average.

The Sox picked up Humber off waivers from the Oakland Athletics in January.

"I give a lot of credit to (Sox general manager) Kenny Williams for being smart enough to take the shot with him," MLB Network analyst Peter Gammons said Friday on "The Mully & Hanley Show" on WSCR-AM 670.

Gammons also lauds Cooper for overseeing Humber's rejuvenation.

"Around baseball, most people will tell you, if a guy can't make it with Don Cooper, he doesn't make it anywhere," Gammons said. "The number of pitchers that have gone into Chicago and not been very good and come out of there much better because of Don Cooper, it's astounding."

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
Give me Lance Berkman. That's been easily the best signing of the year to this point.

That was such a WTF signing too.

It was like, so you want a guy who hasn't played the outfield in 5 years to play there again? Not to mention the fact he came off a really bad season (for his standards).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
That was such a WTF signing too.

It was like, so you want a guy who hasn't played the outfield in 5 years to play there again? Not to mention the fact he came off a really bad season (for his standards).

Three guys whose comebacks this year I don't completely trust. Berkman, Ortiz, Helton.

Did these guys all find the fountain of youth, or something else? My cynicism won't subside until Olympic-style blood testing is in the CBA. I just don't buy the idea that things have been cleaned up completely. A more punitive environment has just made fewer players willing to take the risks of staying ahead of the testing.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
Three guys whose comebacks this year I don't completely trust. Berkman, Ortiz, Helton.

Did these guys all find the fountain of youth, or something else? My cynicism won't subside until Olympic-style blood testing is in the CBA. I just don't buy the idea that things have been cleaned up completely. A more punitive environment has just made fewer players willing to take the risks of staying ahead of the testing.

So what about Konerko? Career seasons at the age of 34 and now 35? Do we have to suspect he's on something?

Gammons also lauds Cooper for overseeing Humber's rejuvenation.

"Around baseball, most people will tell you, if a guy can't make it with Don Cooper, he doesn't make it anywhere," Gammons said. "The number of pitchers that have gone into Chicago and not been very good and come out of there much better because of Don Cooper, it's astounding."

Nice to see Cooper receiving national recognition for what all of us have known about him for a while now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
Dave Duncan is better. But Coop is probably the only member of the coaching staff earning their paycheck.

Coop turns around underacheivers with talent. Duncan takes garbage pitchers and somehow teaches them how to get people out, he's definitely the best out there.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
Nice to see Cooper receiving national recognition for what all of us have known about him for a while now.

Yep. It is easy to point out the Mike McD's of the world and use that against Cooper, but when you look at how many careers he has saved, not many others can say that at all.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
It wouldn't surprise me much if Konerko was juicing. He looked much more chiseled at the start of the season last year from what I could tell.

Or maybe he just got into better shape.

Building a 16,000 square foot home in Scottsdale with your bare hands would get anybody into better shape.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 07:33 AM)
The biggest difference is that Konerko didn't have the big lull that the other guys had.

Also, never been rumors or dramatic fluctuations in his stats. Never been in decline and told that he was "done" or nearly done.

That desperation has not been part of Paulie as far as any of us know. Doesn't fit the profile, for me, anyway.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
Also, never been rumors or dramatic fluctuations in his stats. Never been in decline and told that he was "done" or nearly done.

That desperation has not been part of Paulie as far as any of us know. Doesn't fit the profile, for me, anyway.

The only fluxuations he had were to obvious injuries.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
The only fluxuations he had were to obvious injuries.

Exactly.

I have family in Houston, and I can tell you that many folks down there have been suspicious of Lance even before this season's resurgence. I don't pretend to know any details, or if there's any substance to it, but for many Astros fans his performance this year is a confirmation of their suspicion. ( And granted, there's a healthy dose of bitterness there as well)