6/8 GT - SOX vs Mariners - 7:10pm CSN

knightni

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
The team doesnt exist, but that is the goal of creating a NL style offense, high batting average and high obp.

The Sox offense does neither of those things well, I was merely stating that if I could trade the Sox offense for an offense that got a ton more hits and was better on base, Id gladly give up some hrs, because I just cant stand watching a game and hoping that we hit 2-3 hrs or else we cant score.

Its just frustrating.

I'm pretty sure it's hard for an NL team to out-hit an AL team since they have a .200 hitter batting 2-3 times a game.

Plus, when NL ball is symbolized by small ball, I'm not sure it's encouraging getting on base.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
It was extremely uninspiring. I have no idea what our scouting department is doing. It was like someone dared them that they could draft 30 players without taking a high schooler. So now not only do we avoid Boras clients, but we don't draft high school players?

I'm starting to think it's carryover from drafting Ventura, Thomas, McDowell and Alex Fernandez.

Seriously, it's almost like they're afraid to have to develop any young players themselves (Ryan Sweeney is one of the few exceptions that come to mind) so they just want to take the lower-risk, lower-reward players that are already 20-23 years old. I guess Trayce Thompson counts for something.

1) No high school players (because then you'd have to compete with universities to sign them)

2) Obscure/raw/athletic/potential African-American outfielders (not named Jordan Danks)

3) No signings from anywhere in Latin America, which is basically 30-35% of the world talent lode now

4) No Boras clients

5) Only crony/nepotism picks of players related to the White Sox F.O. or coaching staff (this might be the 2nd biggest scandal after the Wilder fiasco)

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 04:19 AM)
The team doesnt exist, but that is the goal of creating a NL style offense, high batting average and high obp.

The Sox offense does neither of those things well, I was merely stating that if I could trade the Sox offense for an offense that got a ton more hits and was better on base, Id gladly give up some hrs, because I just cant stand watching a game and hoping that we hit 2-3 hrs or else we cant score.

Its just frustrating.

The problem we had earlier in the year was when no one was hitting home runs. I still can't stand having an AL team where the LF, CF, 3B and catcher have little to no power in the first 1/4 of the season.

The Sox have 2 batters around 200, so you were saying?

(edit)

What I was getting at is I have no problem with less power, they just cant suck at getting on base too.

Pierre is terrible at taking walks, Morel is terrible at taking walks.

Rios could be better, but that was just a miss.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 04:22 AM)
Yea. He is far too involved with the draft decisions. He constantly hammers home that college players are the best choice as they are safer, and closer to the majors. Gonzalez reiterated this tripe in his pre-draft piece.

As did Hawk last night

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 04:22 AM)
I'd really love to know in what way other than "in-game" where he's a "good" manager.

Well, we're 0-1 since he said he was very upset with something in his life even though we had just beaten King Felix.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
The Sox have 2 batters around 200, so you were saying?

Rios is terrible, I'll say that much, but at least Dunn has an average OBP, regardless of how many times he strikes out.

My point was that NL teams aren't centered around on base percentage or batting average.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
Juan Pierre is the biggest f***ing piece of s*** asshole f***ing good-for-nothing f***tard who can't do a god damned thing right and has no f***ing business being anywhere near a f***ing baseball field for the rest of his s***ty f***ing life. If that sack of no good bucket of suck does not get benched/released/murdered, then Ozzie needs to get a f***ing head check because this s***ty ass little leaguer has cost this f***ing team 4 or 5 games now due to his child-like approach in the outfield. f*** this guy, and I wish the absolute worst for his career.

I'm going to bed. :angry:

Dude...it's not his fault.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
Yea. He is far too involved with the draft decisions. He constantly hammers home that college players are the best choice as they are safer, and closer to the majors. Gonzalez reiterated this tripe in his pre-draft piece.

And yet no matter how many years go by and this philosophy fails miserably, nothing changes. But we can hand out extensions to Teahen and $4 million bucks for a month of Manny.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
Well, we're 0-1 since he said he was very upset with something in his life even though we had just beaten King Felix.

I'm fairly certain one of his (Ozzie's) good friends is ill.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 04:27 AM)
And yet no matter how many years go by and this philosophy fails miserably, nothing changes. But we can hand out extensions to Teahen and $4 million bucks for a month of Manny.

We draft terribly, we develop terribly, and spend nothing on Latin American players (even though most of them LOVE Ozzie). It's scary looking a few years into the future, but hopefully the new General Manager will have a better plan for running an organization.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
I'm pretty sure it's hard for an NL team to out-hit an AL team since they have a .200 hitter batting 2-3 times a game.

Plus, when NL ball is symbolized by small ball, I'm not sure it's encouraging getting on base.

There is not a executive in ALL OF BASEBALL that doesn't encourage getting on base.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
We draft terribly, we develop terribly, and [/b]spend nothing on Latin American players[/b] (even though most of them LOVE Ozzie). It's scary looking a few years into the future, but hopefully the new General Manager will have a better plan for running an organization.

Since KW has come to the Sox, we're one of the highest spending teams on Latin American players.....

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 04:30 AM)
There is not a executive in ALL OF BASEBALL that doesn't encourage getting on base.

Would you consider Ozzie an executive? Cause if you do, then he feels like someone who walks a lot is just a base clogger. :lolhitting

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 04:31 AM)
Since KW has come to the Sox, we're one of the highest spending teams on Latin American players.....

There's no way that's accurate unless you're considering Cuba (which you know I wasn't referring to).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
We draft terribly, we develop terribly, and spend nothing on Latin American players (even though most of them LOVE Ozzie). It's scary looking a few years into the future, but hopefully the new General Manager will have a better plan for running an organization.

Or we just get them past our entire minor league staff by claiming them from other teams and pairing them with Cooper right away...see Jenks and Santos.

It's ridiculous that they're benching Dunn and Rios when they won't do the same thing with a player who won't even be back in 2012 and makes less money.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
This can't be right.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
There's no way that's accurate unless you're considering Cuba (which you know I wasn't referring to).

Ya, that includes Cuba. I assumed that was included in "Latin America"?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)

I think he must mean bribes to buscones AND/OR highest budget on Brazilian players!!!

Everyone knows Brazil is the future. I'm still looking for some more Indian and Chinese players to be signed soon.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 04:34 AM)

Ha, I'm just bad at geography I guess. I was talking about the players available during the usual contract period with the DR, Venezuela, etc.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)

If you take away Viciedo's initial contract, who exactly are you referring to?

Rienzo? Clevelan Santeliz? Infante?

I hope it's not still a reference to Juan Silverio.

How much did we sign Escobar for?