Official 2011 MLB Draft - Day 3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Gregor said the opposite. Kid didn't hit for much of any power and doesn't have a single HR. Probably not going to do well as a corner OF/1B with no power to speak of.

Whose projecting Ozzie's kid as a corner OF or 1B? Worse case I thought he was moving to 2B. Ozney's bat has always been the questionmark as people didn't know if he'd develop the power (supposedly he has raw power potential thought) but he did put up a very good average at Miami Dade. The power hasn't showed up but he supposedly projects as an above average defensive outfielder.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
Whose projecting Ozzie's kid as a corner OF or 1B? Worse case I thought he was moving to 2B. Ozney's bat has always been the questionmark as people didn't know if he'd develop the power (supposedly he has raw power potential thought) but he did put up a very good average at Miami Dade. The power hasn't showed up but he supposedly projects as an above average defensive outfielder.

He primarily played 3B this year. He also played 1B and corner OF spots. He projects as a corner OF or IF, and thus needs to show some power.

In the case of Ozney Guillen, Laumann pointed out that he projects as a third baseman but didn't hit a home run in 144 at-bats for Miami Dade College.

Ozney Guillen isn't a very good prospect. He was only the 6th best hitter on his team this year.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
Question...Why is the MLB draft so many rounds? Is it just to provide depth for your rookie leagues and A ball? How many of these super late draft pick even play pro at all? 50 rounds just seems like a lot.

Mike Piazza was a 62nd round pick.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
He primarily played 3B this year. He also played 1B and corner OF spots. He projects as a corner OF or IF, and thus needs to show some power.

Ozney Guillen isn't a very good prospect. He was only the 6th best hitter on his team this year.

He's a prospect worthy of being picked in the 20 to 40th round range. It doesn't say a whole lot in general when you are getting drafted in that range anyway. No one is arguing that he's some elite prospect, but he's worthy of going in that range. And the 6th best hitter on one of the better JC programs in the country, one who historically has had tons of players drafted off of its roster, is worthy of being picked.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
49- Zach Regier, OF

Sox scout's kid.

Methinks Ozney will be heading back to school.

One has to think his father's clown act last year has done him no favors for other teams thinking about drafting him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Question...Why is the MLB draft so many rounds? Is it just to provide depth for your rookie leagues and A ball? How many of these super late draft pick even play pro at all? 50 rounds just seems like a lot.

It does and I think I heard that they're considering shortening. I wanna say most draft classes sign around 30 players. They could probably cut it to 40 rounds and no one would care.

I have a feeling this is going to be the first time Bristol doesn't suck. With all these college players, the BriSox should have a competitive squad. Hopefully that translates to a deep draft class. Who knows, but it's certainly an interesting case study to ignore high schoolers for the first two days of the draft.