Official 2011 MLB Draft - Day 3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
I am gonna call BS on this. It really makes no sense.

Yeah that's ridiculous. They might have had someone in the MLB Scouting Bureau say rounds 10-15 is where he projects, but there are so many factors with that.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Bernstein on the Score saying the Guillens feel very, very hurt and were promised that Ozney would be taken between 10-15.

If that is true I expect the whole scouting department to resign noboby in MLB wanted Ozney this year and probably last year, what makes KW and OG think White Sox organization owes there kids a payday. KW Jr probably would not of been drafted either by anyone else, If this BS crap did not exist.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Bernstein on the Score saying the Guillens feel very, very hurt and were promised that Ozney would be taken between 10-15.

Yeah that's hard to believe. Though Ozzie was pretty angry today about something. If he thought Ozney was a round 10-15 guy, he's living in fantasy land.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
This article gives the White Sox honorable mention for teams that might have had a good draft.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_mlb

Kind of surprised. Anyone see any draft review yet?

Not surprising to see the Rays, Red Sox and Jays up there. And the Nationals easily had a better draft that the Padres.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
This article gives the White Sox honorable mention for teams that might have had a good draft.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_mlb

Kind of surprised. Anyone see any draft review yet?

The draft reviews will start to flow tomorrow. Honestly, I think this could be a very deep draft class for the Sox. They picked a lot of college guys that put up solid enough numbers to do well in the low minors. Hopefully a few of those guys can make the leap into being a legitimate prospect.

I'm going to need some convincing on the Johnson pick, but the Soptic pick sounds good and I love the Gardeck pick in the 8th if they can sign him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
I have a feeling this is going to be the first time Bristol doesn't suck. With all these college players, the BriSox should have a competitive squad. Hopefully that translates to a deep draft class. Who knows, but it's certainly an interesting case study to ignore high schoolers for the first two days of the draft.

It could also be construed as being lazy developmentally.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 12:35 AM)
It could also be construed as being lazy developmentally.

And/or in scouting as well. I'm sure there's a reason. There's no way 30+ rounds with no high schoolers is a coincidence.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
And/or in scouting as well. I'm sure there's a reason. There's no way 30+ rounds with no high schoolers is a coincidence.

I really like the strategy personally, if, and only if, they can sign a good number of the higher upside high school picks. I think loading up on what you perceive to be the college talent early, while it's still available, and then grabbing the high school talent that inevitably falls (as it always does), makes a lot of sense.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
If that is true I expect the whole scouting department to resign noboby in MLB wanted Ozney this year and probably last year, what makes KW and OG think White Sox organization owes there kids a payday. KW Jr probably would not of been drafted either by anyone else, If this BS crap did not exist.

I get being upset about some of the Sox recent picks, but this is just a completely false statement. In no way should KW Jr have been drafted in the 6th round, but if we didn't draft him, someone almost assuredly would have drafted him in the 10-15 round range. As for Ozney, he was a legitimate prospect last year and also was this year. Not top 15 like the Guillens are saying, but there was no real reason for him not to have been drafted. I guarantee this was because teams wanted to avoid the Guillen family drama (because he's not a good enough prospect to deal with that).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
I get being upset about some of the Sox recent picks, but this is just a completely false statement. In no way should KW Jr have been drafted in the 6th round, but if we didn't draft him, someone almost assuredly would have drafted him in the 10-15 round range. As for Ozney, he was a legitimate prospect last year and also was this year. Not top 15 like the Guillens are saying, but there was no real reason for him not to have been drafted. I guarantee this was because teams wanted to avoid the Guillen family drama (because he's not a good enough prospect to deal with that).

He was drafted last year outside of the top 15 rounds...by the White Sox. Which of course started all the crap.

And yeah, you're right, the reason no one else wants him is that no one wants to deal with this.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 02:23 AM)

This is purely my feeling, but I think we are seeing the effects of a $125 million payroll on drafting. I think we really went cheap because of all of the money we are spending at the major league level.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
The draft reviews will start to flow tomorrow. Honestly, I think this could be a very deep draft class for the Sox. They picked a lot of college guys that put up solid enough numbers to do well in the low minors. Hopefully a few of those guys can make the leap into being a legitimate prospect.

I'm going to need some convincing on the Johnson pick, but the Soptic pick sounds good and I love the Gardeck pick in the 8th if they can sign him.

Gardeck and Johnson are two of my favorite picks and I'm warming to Walker. Being a guy who loves what speed can do for a baseball club I love the idea of the possibility of Walker panning out and just being wreaking havoc on oppositions for years to come. I get what you are saying about the collegiate guys but the thing that dissapoints me is it seems like we took a ton of relievers and while I don't know the ultimate plan for these guys there were a lot of picks that kind of had me scracthing my head (mainly because I tend to prefer a certain type of player). However, if the Sox can sign 1 or 2 guys late that should have went earlier, things would warm up for me. I also think our organization has actually done a decent job finding later round talent the past couple years (see: Hudson, Dex Carter, Brandon Allen, Aaron Cunningham, Clayton Richard, Chris Young, etc). I mention all of those guys because regardless of what they ultimately turned/turn into at the major league level (or in Dex's case how he fell apart eventually, but he still turned into great value for the Sox), they all had pretty solid trade value for guys we ended up developing a little later on (some were picked early in the top 5 rounds, others a little later).

Kind of like what I thought Mitchell would end up doing and still hope he might eventually do (Mitchell with more power potential though). But you know what, I can't fault things from an injury perspective.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 12:23 AM)

Could very well be that the Sox feel that by taking a lot of college guys you have better odds of hitting on a multitude of guys and you can eventually spin them for what you want. Plus if teams were overvaluing high school guys in this years draft you could end up with better overall value picking the college guys.

I don't think anyone in baseball, regardless of the club, is lazy when it comes to player development. Some are just far better at it than others. And I actually like the fact that the White Sox primarily hire "baseball" scouts versus applying this statistical nonsense on the draft. I think the statistical purposes serve better value at the major league level than say the low minor league and amateur ranks.