Official 2011 MLB Draft - Day 3

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 06:33 AM)
This is purely my feeling, but I think we are seeing the effects of a $125 million payroll on drafting. I think we really went cheap because of all of the money we are spending at the major league level.

And that is a short-sighted way for an organization to operate because truth be told, spending more on drafts, actually better enables you to manage your major league payroll and thus save you money down the road. It is my biggest problem with the organization under Kenny. I actually like our scouts and baseball people and I think we will see in a couple years that Buddy has done a good job overhauling player development (plus as I've mentioned many times, I think we do a tremendous jobs with pitchers in our organization already). The problem is, our budget, just doesn't compare to other teams budgets.

I team with a $120M payroll should spend on average of $1-$3M bucks in bonuses to a copule non-draftable guys (e.g., the international FA's on a yearly basis) as a way to supplement for the lack of top round picks. They should also budget some additional money to take a couple over-slot guys, again, as a way to supplement not having top 10 to 15 picks year in year out.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
And that is a short-sighted way for an organization to operate because truth be told, spending more on drafts, actually better enables you to manage your major league payroll and thus save you money down the road. It is my biggest problem with the organization under Kenny. I actually like our scouts and baseball people and I think we will see in a couple years that Buddy has done a good job overhauling player development (plus as I've mentioned many times, I think we do a tremendous jobs with pitchers in our organization already). The problem is, our budget, just doesn't compare to other teams budgets.

I team with a $120M payroll should spend on average of $1-$3M bucks in bonuses to a copule non-draftable guys (e.g., the international FA's on a yearly basis) as a way to supplement for the lack of top round picks. They should also budget some additional money to take a couple over-slot guys, again, as a way to supplement not having top 10 to 15 picks year in year out.

Thank you! :headbang

http://iowaprepsports.com/2011/06/08/washs...d-by-white-sox/

Wash’s Freese picked by White Sox

No comments Jeff Johnson

Dakota Freese was still in bed when his mother got a text from a friend Wednesday, informing her that her son had been taken in the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

“We got on the computer and saw it was the White Sox,” the Cedar Rapids Washington pitcher said. “I went crazy.”

Buy this photo

Dakota Freese

Freese has always followed Chicago and has a couple of White Sox hats in his collection. He was just a 34th-round selection and has no guarantees he’ll even be offered a contract but can’t help but be excited by the possibility of joining the organization.

“It’ll all depend on the money,” Freese said.

The 6-foot-4 right-hander with the Tim Lincecum delivery went decidely lower in the draft than a lot of experts predicted. Perfect Game USA originally had him as a 10th-to-15th-round selection, though he may have been hurt by a poor showing in his only appearance for Washington thus far, last weekend against Cedar Rapids Jefferson.

He’s scheduled to pitch Thursday against Linn-Mar. Freese is getting a late start to his prep season because of a suspension for violating school policy, which also may have hurt his draft status.

He has signed to play junior-college baseball at LSU-Eunice.

“It was frustrating, but not disappointing,” Freese said of going in the 34th round. “It doesn’t matter what round. I got drafted, and that feels good.”

Others with Iowa ties drafted Wednesday were Wartburg College right-handed pitcher Bradley Watson (37th round by St. Louis Cardinals). The senior from Urbandale went 10-4 with a 2.07 earned run average this season.

Southeastern Community College shortstop Vhoxion Medina went in the 38th round to the Cleveland Indians and infielder Cody Gabella to the San Diego Padres in the 43rd. Des Moines Area Community College pitcher Austin Urban to the Chicago Cubs in the 41st round.

Sioux City Heelan prep shortstop David Kerian was taken by the Washington Nationals in the 42nd round. Former Davenport Assumption prep Willie Argo was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 43rd round as an outfielder. He just finished his junior season at Illinois.