MLB News

KipWellsFan

I don't have links but...

-Appier has officially been signed by the Royals

-Rafael Palmeiro has cleared waivers and now just has to waive his no trade clause to be traded to the Cubs. John Thomson also of the Rangers has cleared waivers, he's maybe a guy the White Sox will consider.

Thomson 29 years old 9-10 2CG 5.34ERA 1.34WHIP 145IP 163H 20HR 31BB 92K

-Rafael Palmeiro has cleared waivers and now just has to clear waivers to be traded to the Cubs.  John Thomson also of the Rangers has cleared waivers, he's maybe a guy the White Sox will consider.

:huh: isnt he getting shelled right now.

If we give up s*** for Thomson, I'd be willing to do the deal.

I'm just not sold that we need to make a trade for another starter. It's like I said in another thread....just bring up Diaz, Adkins, Stewart, and West and use each of them in the remaining 4 or 5 starts we have left from the #5 spot.

I heard somethin about the Twins joining the Cubs as the 2 teams with the best shot at signing Palmeiro...

He's not the hitter he once was. He's still going to hit 30-40 homers a year, but that's about all he can do. Regardless, they do NOT need a bat. If they want to get back into the race, they need a stud starter. Odds are, they won't get on via trade. They'll have to hope Lohse steps up(like he did tonight) to get back into the race. If they traded for Kelvim Escobar and he dominated as a starter, I'd say they have a good shot and I'd be more worried about them then I am now.

For sake of comparison:

Palmeiro .251 27hr 76rbi 13dbls 67rs

Thomas .265 27hr 67rbi 25dbls 59rs

Raffy is still an offensive threat, and he doesn't embarrass himself defensively at first base either ( and PLEASE don't take that to mean that I think Frank does, because I've been impressed with his play over at 1B this year, infrequent as it may be ).

WHY he'd want to go to the Cubs and split time with Karros in August and then with BOTH Karros and Hee Flops Choi in September is beyond me.

Well, if the Cubs got Raffy, Choi would be sent to AAA.

...but then brought back up in September to cause a 3-man logjam for playing time at 1B.

Remember, Choi is one of "The Big Three", and so far only Patterson has shown he can hit at the big-league level, and even THAT was only for half a year. You know Big Dust has his marching orders to get Hee Flops into the lineup in September, so they can TRY to show that their minor-league system can develop TWO players every decade or so...Hill will probably get his next big-league shot in Pittsburgh.

If I'm Palmeiro, I say Thanks but No Thanks...not gonna win anything in the Ivy Covered House Of Disappointment anyway...

For sake of comparison:

Palmeiro    .251  27hr  76rbi  13dbls  67rs

Thomas  .265  27hr  67rbi  25dbls  59rs

Raffy is still an offensive threat, and he doesn't embarrass himself defensively at first base either ( and PLEASE don't take that to mean that I think Frank does, because I've been impressed with his play over at 1B this year, infrequent as it may be ).

WHY he'd want to go to the Cubs and split time with Karros in August and then with BOTH Karros and Hee Flops Choi in September is beyond me.

Those aren't quite the numbers he was putting up a few years ago....but I'll admit, they are better then I thought he had.

However, I was just saying I didn't know why the Twins would get him, when they need pitching. And now that you mention it, I don't see why he'd go to the Cubs. The last older 1Bman that went there via trade that waived his no-trade clause helped them lose the division....that guy being Fred McGriff.

His line is exactly what I'd expect from a #5 pitcher. He ate up some innings, and he gave his team a chance to win.

It's too bad we'll only use the #5 starter like 4 more times. I don't want to give up even a fringe prospect for that kind of guy. I still like my idea more then anything else(I wonder why?... ;) )

-Rafael Palmeiro has cleared waivers and now just has to waive his no trade clause to be traded to the Cubs.  John Thomson also of the Rangers has cleared waivers, he's maybe a guy the White Sox will consider.

Thomson could help playing for Texas has not help his cause.

-Rafael Palmeiro has cleared waivers and now just has to waive his no trade clause to be traded to the Cubs.  John Thomson also of the Rangers has cleared waivers, he's maybe a guy the White Sox will consider.

I wouldn't mind Thompson. Good Strikeout Numbers and low walks. A lot of thits and Homers tho. But hell I'll take Myself and my bum soulder over Dan Wright right now

His line is exactly what I'd expect from a #5 pitcher.  He ate up some innings, and he gave his team a chance to win.

It's too bad we'll only use the #5 starter like 4 more times.  I don't want to give up even a fringe prospect for that kind of guy.  I still like my idea more then anything else(I wonder why?...  ;) )

Those games could cost us the division. This is worth a fringe prospect. A good 5th starter would cause our top five to get more rest and be stronger at the end as well.