Complete White Sox draft and signings list

southsider2k5

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
We have eight that are known of.

Make that 10 at least.

http://arkansasnews.com/2011/06/15/blog-ro...with-white-sox/

Blog: Robinson, Kuhn Sign With White Sox

Posted on 15 June 2011

FAYETTEVILLE —Arkansas’ 2011 starting outfield is heading off for professional baseball.

Arkansas outfielders Kyle Robinson (28th round) and Collin Kuhn (17th round) have signed with the Chicago White Sox after being drafted by the organization last week. They become the second and third Razorbacks to sign pro contracts, joining outfielder Jarrod McKinney.

Kuhn and Robinson will begin their pro careers with the Bristol White Sox, which is Chicago’s rookie league team in Virginia.

Kuhn had one season of eligibility remaining, but was not expected to return after begin drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the 15th round last summer. He finished his Arkansas career hitting .297 with 26 home runs, 112 RBIs and 50 stolen bases. Kuhn also leaves the Razorbacks as the school’s record holder for being hit by pitches (53).

Robinson was a two-year player with the Razorbacks after transferring from a junior college in 2010. He didn’t crack the regular lineup until the 2011 season, when he hit .286 with a team-high 10 home runs and 49 RBIs. He was twice named SEC Player of the Week.

Three other Razorbacks were selected in the 50-round draft last week. Catcher James McCann, a second-round pick, is expected to sign with the Detroit Tigers. It’s not known if pitchers Trent Daniel (23rd round) and Geoffery Davenport (43rd round) will sign.

Players have until Aug. 15 to sign pro baseball contracts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press...profession.html

Brent Tanner officially became a professional baseball player on Tuesday afternoon.

Tanner, the former George County High School and South Alabama catcher, went through his first practice with the Great Falls (Mont.) Voyagers of the Pioneer League Tuesday. The Voyagers are the Rookie League affiliate of the Chicago White Sox, who selected Tanner in the 32nd round of the major league draft last Wednesday.

"It's very exciting, I'm just glad to get the opportunity to play," Tanner said via phone from Great Falls. "Everybody's still getting to know each other, just trying to figure out how we all play. We're just ready to get the season rolling."

The Voyagers begin their 76-game schedule on Monday, when they travel to Billings (Mont.) to begin a four-game series. Other cities in the eight-team Pioneer League include Helena and Missoula in Montana, Orem and Ogden in Utah, Idaho Falls, Idaho, and Casper, Wyo.

The 23-year-old Tanner has scarcely stopped moving since draft day. He signed with the White Sox on Friday, left for Great Falls on Sunday, arrived in town on Monday night and hit the practice field Tuesday afternoon.

"It's very different -- beautiful mountains everywhere," Tanner said. "We played in Arizona once when I was in college, but this is different country up here. It's really nice, but we haven't been able to see much of it yet. We've been pretty busy."

Tanner led South Alabama in batting average (.342), home runs (10), RBIs (55) and slugging percentage (.539) in 2011. The 2007 George County graduate played two seasons with the Jaguars after a redshirt season at Mississippi State and two years at Meridian Community College.

The White Sox split many of their 2011 draft picks between Great Falls and their other Rookie League affiliate, the Bristol (Va.) Sox of the Appalachian League. Other players assigned to Great Falls include fourth-round pick Kyle McMillen, a pitcher from Kent State, and shortstop David Herbek, a 15th-rounder out of James Madison.

Tanner is one of two catchers on the Great Falls roster, the other being second-year pro James Jacquot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)

http://www.salisburypost.com/Sports/061211-sports-briefs-qcd

Minor leagues

Chicago White Sox draft pick Keegan Linza (North Rowan) will be assigned to Bristol in the Appalachian League.

I had forgot to highlight Gardeck, which makes 15, plus it looks like we have our first known UDFA

http://www.missouristatebears.com/ViewArti...TCLID=205160309

J.C. Casey Agrees to Contract Terms With Chicago White Sox

Courtesy: MSU Athletics Communications

Release: 06/15/2011

Send this article to a friend Print RSS

Share |

View larger Courtesy: MSU Photo Services

SPRINGFIELD -- Missouri State senior right-handed pitcher J.C. Casey has agreed to terms to play professionally with the Chicago White Sox. Casey is set to begin his pro career with the Great Falls (Mont.) Voyagers and plans to sign a contract with the Pioneer League club Friday (June 17) pending passage of a team physical that morning. The Pioneer League season begins June 20.

The Springfield native pitched in 15 games as a senior, going 1-0 with one save in 39 innings. He had a 3.69 ERA, 31 strikeouts and a .260 opponent batting average. Casey threw the longest relief appearance in school history his final game, tossing 10 shutout innings with 11 strikeouts and five hits against Creighton in the State Farm MVC Tournament.

Casey pitched in 39 games with eight starts in four seasons at MSU, tallying two wins, two saves and 63 strikeouts in 90.1 innings. He graduated cum laude from Missouri State with an accounting degree in May.

Guys, check out the bold names on Baseball America, as far as who's signed:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/201...m.php?team=1026

#7 Kevan Smith

#16 Chris Bassett

#18 Bryan Blough

#37 Todd Kibby

Also, some hopeful good news on my hopeful AAP Jeff Soptic, #3:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/j...ger/?tigerextra

Soptic is expected to sign, but the others will have decisions to make. Graves might have an incentive to stay. A pair of Vikings teammates — Jake Ivory and Case Munson — are expected to join the Tigers.
Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
So Gardeck isn't official yet is he?

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
Guys, check out the bold names on Baseball America, as far as who's signed:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/201...m.php?team=1026

#7 Kevan Smith

#16 Chris Bassett

#18 Bryan Blough

#37 Todd Kibby

Also, some hopeful good news on my hopeful AAP Jeff Soptic, #3:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/j...ger/?tigerextra

Updated

Another UDFA

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/201106...signs-White-Sox

He wasn’t selected in the June amateur baseball draft and he’s not expected to be in the big leagues soon.

Nevertheless, a baseball dream came true for 2007 Fox Valley Lutheran graduate Jon Gulbransen prepared to sign as a free agent by the Chicago White Sox later today.

“It’s exactly what I have been working for since I first picked up a baseball bat,” added Gulbransen, a 22-year-old left-handed pitcher.

Gulbransen pitched for four years at Valparaiso University. He majored in finance and compiled a 3.79 grade point average.

He knows there will be options for him in the business world if baseball doesn’t work out. But the lefty who helped coach David Kolander’s FVL baseball team qualify for state in 2007, yearned for a chance to show his stuff at the pro level. He expects the White Sox to send him to its rookie league team in Great Falls, Mont., soon.

“We just wanted him to have a chance,” said Valparaiso coach Tracy Woodson. “In four years here he never missed an opportunity to pitch. He was never injured. He’s a lefty pitcher, and that’s good, and he can throw three pitches – fastball, curve and change – for strikes.

“I’m not saying he is going to make it to the big leagues, but to get this opportunity is special. He was so disappointed when he wasn’t drafted.”

Gulbransen, whose brother Dan, plays college baseball in Jacksonville University in Florida, said he compiled a ratio of 3.5 strikeouts to one walk at Valpo. He said the velocity of his fastball is in the 87-90 mph range.

“I rely mostly on location,” he said. “I used to rely on velocity. But I learned the hard way that trying to throw the ball past people doesn’t equal success. My coach told me that it’s not about how high you are drafted, it’s about getting outs.”

I love hearing guys that have good grades and a degree willing to give baseball a shot. What's the harm in putting your resume on hold for a couple years while you chase a dream and have spectacular life experiences? Baseball goes away with age, jobs won't.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:47 AM)
I love hearing guys that have good grades and a degree willing to give baseball a shot. What's the harm in putting your resume on hold for a couple years while you chase a dream and have spectacular life experiences? Baseball goes away with age, jobs won't.

Well said, I agree totally. I'm in management and a baseball fan, but even to the non sports fan, those who played college or minor league sports do get noticed in the professional world.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:47 AM)

I think it is great they have something to fall back on and it is once in a lifetime dream, Why not give it a shot.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
I think it is great they have something to fall back on and it is once in a lifetime dream, Why not give it a shot.

Well, right now...employers aren't happy about any gaps in anyone's resume..."2 years off to play baseball" might really hurt a person's chances at a different career. Just the reality of 9% unemployment America.

Another UDFA -- Charleston Southern Senior RHP Stew Brase

Bucs' Brase Signs with MLB's Chicago White Sox

http://www.live5news.com/story/14932373/bu...icago-white-sox

Charleston Southern RHP Stew Brase, who recently completed a four-year career for the Bucs, will continue his career in the professional ranks and has signed with Major League Baseball's Chicago White Sox as a free agent.

"We are very proud of Stew," said CSU head coach Stuart Lake. "I know he will represent our school and our program well as he continues his career."

A native of LaGrange Park, Ill., Brase made 68 appearances on the mound throughout his four-year career with the Bucs, making 21 starts and picking up eight wins. He finished second on the team in 2011 with an ERA of 3.86. Brase threw three complete games for CSU, including one in the team's Big South Tournament win over Winthrop, and was the only BSC pitcher to throw a complete game into extra innings in 2011. He boasts 101 career strikeouts, including a career-best 39 as a senior in 2011.

Brase is the second CSU pitcher in 2011 to garner MLB attention, as reliever Ali Williams was drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft. Future Buc CJ Edwards, who committed to play at CSU, was selected by the Texas Rangers.

Baseball: Former Wharton P Andrew Virgili signs with White Sox

Andrew Virgili, a 12th round draft pick of the Chicago White Sox during last week’s Major League Baseball draft has signed with the club.

Virgili, a former Wharton pitcher, had just completed his junior season at Lynn University in Boca Raton. He went 7-5 with a 2.35 ERA for the Knights, striking out 94 batters in 95 2/3 innings of work.

During Virgili’s senior season at Wharton, the right-handed pitcher threw the program’s first no-hitter. That season he tossed seven complete games with a 1.62 ERA.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/c...ort+Prep+Report

Van Skike, Merkley Sign With White Sox

http://www.gosycamores.com/ViewArticle.dbm...TCLID=205171438

Two more members of the 2011 Indiana State baseball team signed professional contracts in recent days, as senior hurlers Jason Van Skike and Brett Merkley have both inked deals with the Chicago White Sox organization.

Van Skike, a native of Gig Harbor, Wash., came to Indiana State prior to the 2010 season after beginning his collegiate career at Treasure Valley Community College. The 6-foot-4 right-hander started 28 games and made a pair of relief appearances for ISU in his two seasons in Terre Haute, finishing his career with a 7-8 record and a 4.46 ERA over 157.1 innings on the mound. Van Skike tossed a pair of complete games and two shutouts in 2011, including a nine-inning no-hitter on March 5 at Central Arkansas.

Merkley, a native of Ferdinand, Ind., also transferred to ISU before the 2010 campaign, joining the Sycamores from Eastern Kentucky University. The 5-foot-11 right-hander appeared in 39 games for Indiana State, totaling a 1-4 record and a 4.88 ERA over 48 innings. Merkley was consistently tough on opposing batters, finishing his ISU career allowing a .228 average at the plate.

With the addition of Van Skike and Merkley, the Sycamores have seen four members of their 2011 roster move on to the professional ranks this season, with Colin Rea (12th round - San Diego Padres) and Blake Drake (22nd round - Chicago White Sox) being drafted earlier in June.

Another interesting note, the White Sox have now picked up six Sycamores over the past three seasons. In 2009, the Southsiders selected Nick Ciolli (10th round) and Brady Shoemaker (19th round) before drafting Jacob Petricka with the 63rd overall selection in the second round last season.