Ozzie:No promise to pick Ozney

southsider2k5

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Ozzie: There was no promise to draft Ozney

CHICAGO -- There have been plenty of times during the eight years general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen have worked together with the White Sox where they didn't exactly see eye to eye.

Having two passionate individuals who want the best for the franchise will cause a disagreement or two. But where the handling of the Draft status of Ozney Guillen is concerned, the two are in agreement as to how nothing was promised to the Guillen family in regard to Ozzie's youngest son.

There was no initial word presented of taking Ozney in the late teen rounds of the 50-round First-Year Player Draft, only to be reneged on by Williams and the White Sox Tuesday, as was presented in one rumor making its way around sports radio in Chicago.

"They [saw] him working out," Guillen told MLB.com of his son. "But they never promised me or any of us."

Ozney, who hit .347 for Miami Dade College this past season and projects as a corner infielder or outfielder, has fielded some post-Draft interest from other teams and still could start a professional career. That career won't be with the White Sox, and even after selecting Ozney in the 22nd round of the 2010 Draft, there were no guarantees he would be re-drafted in 2011.

"If in fact it happened, and it's very doubtful that happened, it didn't come from a person in position of authority," said Williams of the alleged false promise. "If it did happen, if that were the case, I'd come right out and I'd tell you."

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 08:03 PM)
I'm sorry you frequently talk out of your ass without really knowing what you're talking about and some people on this board actually call you out on it.

What did you call me out on sunshine he was not drafted by the Sox and no one else drafted him, you called noboby out on nothing! If that is your idea of calling someone out it is time for your nap and milk break with the 5 yr olds.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 01:40 AM)
What did you call me out on sunshine he was not drafted by the Sox and no one else drafted him, you called noboby out on nothing! If that is your idea of calling someone out it is time for your nap and milk break with the 5 yr olds.

No s*** Sherlock. The point was, and has been made to you multiple times now, that the most likely reason is because teams didn't want to deal with the Guillen family drama. You make statements without knowing what you're talking about and refuse to acknowledge anything when they are rebutted, as happened by multiple people when you made pretty much the same statement in the minor league forum. He was far from an elite prospect but he was a prospect. He was rated somewhere around 60 among hitters from Florida this year (which is a loaded state) and was rated by some higher than his teammate (Ravelo) going into the draft last year. If his last name was not Guillen, he probably would have been drafted around the 30 range this year and somewhere around the same last year. But since his family has caused so much bulls*** lately, he was nowhere near good enough of a prospect to justify putting up with that. That is the most likely reason he was not drafted.

But by all means, keep making statements using absolutes and exaggerations when you clearly haven't done your homework. It's amusing.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 07:24 AM)
No s*** Sherlock. The point was, and has been made to you multiple times now, that the most likely reason is because teams didn't want to deal with the Guillen family drama. You make statements without knowing what you're talking about and refuse to acknowledge anything when they are rebutted, as happened by multiple people when you made pretty much the same statement in the minor league forum. He was far from an elite prospect but he was a prospect. He was rated somewhere around 60 among hitters from Florida this year (which is a loaded state) and was rated by some higher than his teammate (Ravelo) going into the draft last year. If his last name was not Guillen, he probably would have been drafted around the 30 range this year and somewhere around the same last year. But since his family has caused so much bulls*** lately, he was nowhere near good enough of a prospect to justify putting up with that. That is the most likely reason he was not drafted.

But by all means, keep making statements using absolutes and exaggerations when you clearly haven't done your homework. It's amusing.

:gosoxretro:

Amusing is you with no concrete evidence saying that NOBODY drafted Guillen because of family BS that is your opinion. "That is the most likely reason he was not drafted." If a team wanted Ozney he would of been drafted even a late round flyer they would have nothing to lose. I am done talking about a guy who was not good enough to be drafted in the eyes of scouts he is a FA now and OG can guide him where he wants now, good luck to Ozney.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
Amusing is you with no concrete evidence saying that NOBODY drafted Guillen because of family BS that is your opinion. "That is the most likely reason he was not drafted." If a team wanted Oney he would of been drafted even a late round flyer they would have nothing to lose. I am done talking about a guy who was not good enough to be drafted in the eyes of scouts he is a FA now and OG can guide him where he wants now, good luck to Oney.

First things first, you are talking about the wrong kid. Oney was drafted years back, and is already long since retired.

Ozney is the kid you are thinking about. The easiest way to back up what you are saying would be to find a reputable baseball writer to agree with you about Ozney not being good enough to draft. I haven't single that in print a single time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
First things first, you are talking about the wrong kid. Oney was drafted years back, and is already long since retired.

Ozney is the kid you are thinking about. The easiest way to back up what you are saying would be to find a reputable baseball writer to agree with you about Ozney not being good enough to draft. I haven't single that in print a single time.

I just changed it to the right name. It is no different than showing me a reputable baseball writer who said Ozney was not drafted because of the family BS.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Kenny Williams pretty much said exactly that.

And here you go.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011060...06089741/print/

The Sox took a pass, so is general manager Kenny Williams concerned about any friction with Ozzie?

“Not as much as I was concerned that there would be if we did (draft Ozney),” Williams said. “So we took the position that we would just bow out and let the natural course of the day run. I wish things were different.”

Now your turn.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Kenny Williams pretty much said exactly that.

He is not a writer and I am looking for someone outside the White Sox JR family tree.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
He is not a writer and I am looking for someone outside the White Sox JR family tree.

He is the freaking GM of the team! What more authority would you like on why the Sox didn't draft someone? oh right, some random writer. Anyways, that is all a deflection from the fact that you can't find anyone to back up what you wrote, while I have the guy in charge of the organization's draft in my corner. I'm still waiting to see any proof from you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
He is the freaking GM of the team! What more authority would you like on why the Sox didn't draft someone? oh right, some random writer. Anyways, that is all a deflection from the fact that you can't find anyone to back up what you wrote, while I have the guy in charge of the organization's draft in my corner. I'm still waiting to see any proof from you.

What? You wrote " The easiest way to back up what you are saying would be to find a reputable baseball writer to agree with you ." I was looking for a writer OUTSIDE Sox circle not what KW says he does not control the other 29 teams from drafting Ozney. I do not care the Sox did not draft Ozney nobody drafted him. You find me someone OUTSIDE the White Sox saying he was not drafted because of his family BS. You have not shown me any proof either.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
What? You wrote " The easiest way to back up what you are saying would be to find a reputable baseball writer to agree with you ." I was looking for a writer OUTSIDE Sox circle not what KW says he does not control the other 29 teams from drafting Ozney. I do not care the Sox did not draft Ozney nobody drafted him. You find me someone OUTSIDE the White Sox saying he was not drafted because of his family BS. You have not shown me any proof either.

I think I can safely count the opinion of the general manager of the White Sox as valid when compared to a reputable writer pretty safely. The point was to have proof from someone outside of yourself that your opinion is valid. I have the general manager of the White Sox on my side. So far, you are still ducking the question, because you know you don't have any proof at all. Instead you are going to pick at my argument as to distract from your being wrong.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
I think I can safely count the opinion of the general manager of the White Sox as valid when compared to a reputable writer pretty safely. The point was to have proof from someone outside of yourself that your opinion is valid. I have the general manager of the White Sox on my side. So far, you are still ducking the question, because you know you don't have any proof at all. Instead you are going to pick at my argument as to distract from your being wrong.

Just because KW does not want to put up with the Guillen family BS does not mean 29 other teams do not. You have no valid proof why the other 29 teams passed on him at all. Sox GM runs 1 team not MLB.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
Just because KW does not want to put up with the Guillen family BS does not mean 29 other teams did not. You have not valid proof why the other 29 teams passed on him at all. Sox GM runs 1 team not MLB.

So are you actually going to throw something out there to prove your side, or are you just going to keep arguing?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
Amusing is you with no concrete evidence saying that NOBODY drafted Guillen because of family BS that is your opinion. "That is the most likely reason he was not drafted." If a team wanted Ozney he would of been drafted even a late round flyer they would have nothing to lose. I am done talking about a guy who was not good enough to be drafted in the eyes of scouts he is a FA now and OG can guide him where he wants now, good luck to Ozney.

I don't need evidence when I'm not stating something as absolute fact. However, the article Mike fortuitously posted from Greenburg just today backs up and supports my opinion (as well as other posters who agreed with it when you brought this up the first time). The article even confirms where Baseball America rated him. A kid with that kind of rating, pedigree and other supportive reviews just doesn't not get drafted in a 50 round draft unless there are other external factors (his family) weighing into this.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)

lol. Oh, man, I'm dying here.

Edited by MAX