If you were ordered by JR to cut payroll by $25 million and remai

caulfield12

What counterintuitive trade would you make before July 31st to shake up the team?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which trade option/s would you choose

• Trade Quentin
    • Trade Konerko
    • Trade Ramirez
    • Trade Danks
    • Trade Buehrle
    • Trade Floyd
    • Trade Santos
    • Trade Humber
    • Trade Jackson
    • Trade Sale

The post is "if you had to". I guess if you put Sale with Rios or Pierre and asked for nothing in return some one might take over the salary. I did not say the Sox should do that but you have to bundle some good or potentially good cheap player with a high useless salary to get a taker.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
The post is "if you had to". I guess if you put Sale with Rios or Pierre and asked for nothing in return some one might take over the salary. I did not say the Sox should do that but you have to bundle some good or potentially good cheap player with a high useless salary to get a taker.

Sale OR Jackson would be enough to unload Pierre, but Ozzie, of course, would never approve that one. The next question is whether they believe that Lillibridge 1) could stand up to everyday play and 2) whether he would be a sufficient leadoff hitter.

I think it would take Danks being part of a deal to get someone to also accept Rios....unless he starts showing some XB power again.

For example, the Yankees are now probably going to be in need of a starter if Colon can't recover from what will probably be chronic/season-long hamstring issues now.

When is Phil Hughes coming back?

Edited by caulfield12

ooooo....good topic.

You can't trade the big money contract players unless someone like the Yankees came calling, or vice versa. Or Boston.

So, you'll have to look at trading some assets who's contracts aren't that expensive. And that's when you'll start throwing in the white flag all over again.

Floyd, Quentin, Ramirez and Jackson would be gone. Those are your most valuable assets who's contracts aren't expensive at all and can get you a good return. But, that would only cut about, what, $10-15 mil depending on what you get in return?

So, you hope and pray someone would come in at the trading deadline, with a good payroll, and ask for a bat. Or an arm.

I can see someone asking for Peavy if they are convinced that he will remain healthy until the end of his contract. NYY, Red Sox, Phila.

Why exactly are we speculating about trading off elements of the team?

The Sox are 3.5 games back. Cleveland is in free fall, so the only team ahead of us with a chance to win the division is Detroit. I wouldn't count the Twins out -- they have played only 25 home games v. 40 road games -- but we still have a lead on them.

I would expect this group of guys to start playing even better, and therefore would not be expecting KW to be dealing them.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 04:15 AM)
Why exactly are we speculating about trading off elements of the team?

The Sox are 3.5 games back. Cleveland is in free fall, so the only team ahead of us with a chance to win the division is Detroit. I wouldn't count the Twins out -- they have played only 25 home games v. 40 road games -- but we still have a lead on them.

I would expect this group of guys to start playing even better, and therefore would not be expecting KW to be dealing them.

Cause many elements of the team make way too much money in terms of their production and some are old and/or injury prone. It'd be smart to deal them.

Even if we are in the race, it doesn't hurt to start retooling the team a bit. Last year's big move was Manny.

Yuk. Or Andruw Jones in the offseason. Yuk.

This team could afford to dump some salary and make some smart trades.

It was more of an "intellectual exercise" to show what a difficult position KW finds himself in.

When you look at the list of players that other teams would actually want...well, it's not so easy to imagine trading any of them.

Sure, we can dump Jackson, but that's a recipe for Lucas Harrell without a reliable Peavy.

As much as many would desire it, Pierre's not going anywhere...I can't imagine what would have to happen with him this year for Viciedo or Lillibridge to take over his starting role.

Then we're all conditioned to the idea that Danks isn't going to stick around....that same game KW played in 06-07 with Garland/Javy/Contreras/Garcia to force those pitchers to (hopefully) sign slightly below market contracts or find themselves dealt away.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 04:08 AM)
It was more of an "intellectual exercise" to show what a difficult position KW finds himself in.

He's not in this position though. The team is competing, JR will not suddenly make him dump a little bit of money. Not to reuse the stupid team motto, but they are "All In". It's either compete for the division, or get rid of everybody you can.