who pitches in the 9th??

mike12345

i think we should give koch a shot..that is why we acquired him and it is time for him to step up..marte has more blown saves than koch and gordon is just as unpredictable as koch recently...

Koch must have a few flawless innings in middle relief or mopup before Manuel will give Koch a shot again.

i think we should give koch a shot..that is why we acquired him and it is time for him to step up..marte has more blown saves than koch and gordon is just as unpredictable as koch recently...

Damaso Marte has not blown one save as the official 9th inning closer. All of his blown saves came before the ninth inning. I'd also have to guess that close to half of the runs he gave up to lose the lead came from inherited runners.

Where as all but one of Koch's blown saves came in the 9th.

Marte and Gordon have more blown saves because they have been used as setup men as well as in the closer-by-committee role. If you blow the lead as a setup man, you are credited with a blown save, and not a blown hold. That does NOT tell of how they have pitched this year.

Koch has been tried as closer, and tried as closer, and tried as closer. He is obviously not suited for closer....or atleast he isn't this year. If you can't save a game where you have a 2-run lead against the DRays, you are not a good closer.

Honestly, now that we have 2 other lefties in the Pen, Marte should close..then Gordon can be the righty setup...and we'd still have 2 lefties in the pen. It almost makes too much sense, which is why I know that JM won't figure it out.

Honestly, now that we have 2 other lefties in the Pen, Marte should close..then Gordon can be the righty setup...and we'd still have 2 lefties in the pen. It almost makes too much sense, which is why I know that JM won't figure it out.

That does, on the surface, seem to be the best plan. That's if Marte can handle being the day in, day out closer. It would strengthen the weak right handed side of our bullpen if Flash can used earlier, instead of as the closer.

Our closer situation is better for beer sales than any commercial ever devised. As soon as we get in the 9th with a small 8 run lead my stomache begins to churn and I have to reach for a beer. Flush, Botch, or Marte at this point is like lethal injection, hanging, or firing squad.

Couple of things I like to see from a closer. Hmmm, actually closing down the other team would be nice. Not falling behind in every count. Not putting a couple runners on to make it interesting. Not grooving a fastball and staring at the sky as it is launched deep into the stands.

JM, pick a closer between Marte and Flash and let them close. No 40+ pitches. Have him close. Let everyone know who the man is, treat him like your guy and let's go. If it's both let the guys know don't use a Quiji board to figure it out.

it doesnt matter if you blow a save in the 8th or 9th... bottom line you blew it, thats all that matters.

Koch does need to get some more flawless innings but that doesnt mean he needs to throw 4 pitches and exit the game like he did..

Gordon is very unpredictable

Marte is the best option we have right now because he is not unpredictable. Wenever Marte enters the game I feel very confident with our chances.

I think Marte should be the man for a while and mesh Koch back into the role and get that confidence back.

Personally I would just like to see bullpen by committee of Gordon and Marte. If theres leftys coming up, let Flash close it out, and vise versa. It has worked pretty well all season.

As for Koch, I love his attitude, but if he cant pitch a scoreless inning when we are blown out, then he should be nowhere near the field when we have a close game on our hands.

Exactly my thoughts, now that we have shoeneweis and wunsch let damaso close, he can be a very solid closer.

it doesnt matter if you blow a save in the 8th or 9th... bottom line you blew it, thats all that matters.

Koch does need to get some more flawless innings but that doesnt mean he needs to throw 4 pitches and exit the game like he did..

Gordon is very unpredictable

Marte is the best option we have right now because he is not unpredictable. Wenever Marte enters the game I feel very confident with our chances.

I think Marte should be the man for a while and mesh Koch back into the role and get that confidence back.

When Gordon goes in fully rested, I can turn the game off and know the Sox won. I thought I could do that with Koch when he had a 2-run lead against the DRays....apparently not(nice thing is though, the Royals can't do it with MacDougal).

I wouldn't mind seeing Marte close, but in reality, he is tougher against righties then he is lefties(his slider tails in on the hands of righties, while it is a pitch that a lefty can hammer to opposite field on occasion). To put it plainly, he is just flat out tough as hell to hit.

What I am in favor of is using the best arm when the time is necessary. That's the right way to use closer-by-committee. If you have the heart of the order come up in the 8th, why would you use your setup man to get those guys and have your closer get the 7, 8, and 9 guys in the 9th? That's how I would like to see it done

I would like to see Wright given a shot as a closer. He has the stuff and could let it all out in one inning and not worry about conserving himself and not have to worry about showing all his pitches if he only faces guys once. He is usually very strong the first time guys face him. I would like to see him given a shot.

I would like to see Wright given a shot as a closer.  He has the stuff and could let it all out in one inning and not worry about conserving himself and not have to worry about showing all his pitches if he only faces guys once. He is usually very strong the first time guys face him.  I would like to see him given a shot.

If Wright were to be in the bullpen at all, he should be used as middle relief. Being the closer is a major pressure position that I don't think Wright can deal with, since he doesn't seem to have complete composure. We'd be seeing someone worse than Botch if we were to do that.

At this moment in time, these boys couldn't douse a fire with a boot full of piss if the instruction were written on the heel.

If Koch suddenly gets some movement on his fastball I could see him back in that role. If not it's a Marte Parte. Nothing like hanging our hat on that guy. I believe the phrase is achilles heel.

well as we all know we have had problems finding a reliable closer adn with the recent struggles flash has had it seems like we don't have a closer...

My question is who should close for the sox for the rest of the season??

My grama.