Aaron Poreda Designated for Assignment

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
He somehow just lost all his control. Really crazy. I would give him another shot. Clearly needs some sort of mechanical tweak. Still young enough with good enough stuff to be a lefty reliever.

Repeatability is a specialty of the Sox. I'd love to have him back in our system.

As long as we don't bring back Broadway, McCulloch or Anderson Gomes, I'm "all in" on bringing back Poreda.

Who knows, maybe Santos could teach him to throw one of his offspeed pitches. It's so crazy how a career SS can pick up 4 quality major league pitches and someone like Thornton and Poreda can barely throw 2, guys that have been pitching for 12-15 years.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
The centerpiece of the Jake Peavy trade was let go by the Pads today. The White Sox already re-acquired Dexter Carter. Any chance they look to do the same with Poreda?

DFA'd, still not officially let go.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
FWIW, Aaron is has great character.

I went to a game and he was in the bullpen. He was not used to ignoring fans. I screamed "HEY AARON!!! HEY AARON!!" He turned around "Yeah?". I was completely shocked he acknowledged me. I panicked and blurted out "Uh....we are friends on facebook!". He gave me a thumbs up. I am such an idiot.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
I went to a game and he was in the bullpen. He was not used to ignoring fans. I screamed "HEY AARON!!! HEY AARON!!" He turned around "Yeah?". I was completely shocked he acknowledged me. I panicked and blurted out "Uh....we are friends on facebook!". He gave me a thumbs up. I am such an idiot.

You're not an idiot, just a baseball fan.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
Poreda, Broadway, McCullough. That's quite a Hat Trick. Wonder if the same Scouting personnel pulled the trigger on all three??

Poreda doesn't belong in the same grouping as Braodway and McCullugh at all. Poreda had a much, much higher ceiling.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
Weren't they all #1 draft picks? All pitchers. Maybe McCullough was a #2? Doesn't seem ludicrous at all.

They were all #1 draft picks. However, 2 of them didn't have the talent to be. Broadway and McCullough should not have been first round picks. Poreda still is a lefty with a big fastball, which makes you a first round pick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
They were all #1 draft picks. However, 2 of them didn't have the talent to be. Broadway and McCullough should not have been first round picks. Poreda still is a lefty with a big fastball, which makes you a first round pick.

Broadway was a consensus 1st rounder. If the Sox didn't pick him, someone else would have. Maybe not a high upside guy, but teams loved his spike curve that he threw and thought he had a good enough fastball and command plus the makings of a nice 3rd pitch. Guy was lights out in college. He figured a pretty safe bet to eventually make it as a 4th or 5th rounder (as far as picks go). Just never worked out.

I wasn't on board with the pick but at the time the Sox picked him, he had talent. He wasn't some bum. McCulloh, now that was a guy on the major slide who just kept sliding. His velocity was down, stuff was down, etc. I think Sox were hoping he'd rebound, but a year earlier at Texas he was a much better pitcher. Sox reached when they took Kyle when they did, imo. That said, most of the other picks around him that most people were interested ending up busting as well, IIRC. And Daniel Bard went a pick before us, so don't say we could have had him. Joba might have been the one guy some people liked that we could have had (which would have been nice).

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
wow, Poreda cleared waivers

Let's get him in the system again. Couldn't hurt.

Hell, we promoted Nevin Griffith for some crazy reason. That says plenty about our farmhand hurlers.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
Let's get him in the system again. Couldn't hurt.

Hell, we promoted Nevin Griffith for some crazy reason. That says plenty about our farmhand hurlers.

Don't forget, it's going to be up to him to sign where he thinks he has the best shot, based on the style of the system.

Padres sent LHP Aaron Poreda outright to Triple-A Tucson.

Poreda was designated for assignment by the Padres earlier this week and passed through waivers easily. He'll remain in the bullpen at Triple-A.

Per Rotoworld

Edited by Soxfest