2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
Long story short:

I really wanted Jujuan Johnson.

Didn't think he'd be there when we picked first.

He was there when we picked first.

We took a guy that might help us in 2015.

I got pissed.

Didn't break any board rules.

The end.

I'm not suggesting you get banned, I just still want to talk about last night's draft, terrible a pool of talent as it was.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
The odds are not in the Bulls' favor, but a sampling of some quality guards that have gone 23rd or later since 2000...

Monta Ellis (high school, so not totally fair)

Michael Redd

Gilbert Arenas

Kevin Martin

Tony Parker (though may not totally be fair since he was a foreigner)

Josh Howard (guard/forward)

Mo Williams

Aaron Afflalo

Whether or not anyone in this brutal draft turns out to be that good is an entirely different story.

8 out of what, a couple of hundred?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
As I said in the post, I never claimed the odds were good.

True, there have been good picks in that range. But some of those definitely took time to develop. I just don't think it was reasonable to thinkt he bulls would use the draft to upgrade SG. They did not make that trade for Fernandez, but I hope that's because they are targeting someone they deem a better fit performance or salary wise.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
By rule, the Bulls can only contribute 500k to solve his buyout situation. Mirotic (or his agent I guess) would have to cover the other $1.5 mil. That wouldn't have really been an issue if he'd gone in the top-5, but at the 23 slot that's more than he'd make in his first year in the NBA.

Got it. Thanks for the info. This buyout stuff makes much more sense now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Anyone thinking that Mirotic is going to be any good is being kinda silly. I think his best-case scenario is Ersan Ilyasova.

So everyone else's opinion is silly because it conflicts with your opinion?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Anyone thinking that Mirotic is going to be any good is being kinda silly. I think his best-case scenario is Ersan Ilyasova.

I love it when you analyze, Stone Pony.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)

And if he's slightly better than your guess, that makes him a legitimate starter doesn't it?

He could certainly be a total bust. He's a lower 1st round pick who won't be here for a few years. But c'mon man, your own comparison weakens your statement.

So now that the draft is over can we please get a real 2 guard so that Bogans is riding the pine or on another team?

I'm in the OJ Mayo camp personally and wouldn't have minded dealing Omer for him. Any chance we use resources from this draft to make a trade in the coming days?

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
So now that the draft is over can we please get a real 2 guard so that Bogans is riding the pine or on another team?

I'm in the OJ Mayo camp personally and wouldn't have minded dealing Omer for him. Any chance we use resources from this draft to make a trade in the coming days?

I have a feeling the resolution to our 2-guard situation won't be coming for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time (ie after the lockout, which I predict to be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong lockout).

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)

I'm interested to see if there is movement or the whole league shuts down now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
I'm interested to see if there is movement or the whole league shuts down now.

"Tell me the last time you haven't seen a single trade since the end of the regular season," said a GM on Thursday afternoon, several hours before the draft. "We haven't seen one trade, and it's because no one knows what's coming next. I'm sure we'll see deals tonight involving picks in this draft, but I don't think you're going to see anything big."
Link