2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

Looking through the rest of this class of forwards, a few things stand out. First is how well Jimmy Butler seems to rank in virtually every category, starting with overall offensive efficiency (6th), and continuing with turnover rate (2nd best), free throw rate (2nd) and transition scoring (2nd). If he can improve his ability to make shots with his feet set (13th, 36% FG) he will likely carve out a long career for himself considering how staunch of a defender he is.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situat.../#ixzz1QCagocvE

http://www.draftexpress.com

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
I think the Bulls are 100% considering this a long-term asset, along with the Charlotte Pick. They know they need roster spots right now and they need trade assets, and they have both.

If he comes over in a couple years and the Bulls are still holding his rights, fine, but for pick 28 and a 2nd rounder, that fills a need for the Bulls.

The Bulls are playing this very smartly. They know this new cap could kick their faces in within a few years, as some of the kids start to land their big deals. Even with being projected to be in the 25 to 30 drafting range for the foreseeable future, they have set themselves up to have a couple of lottery type draft picks coming to them. That is some New England Patriots type work right there.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
Scenario,

When I saw that butler was 6'7 I was shocked, because I remember him generally being the 4 and therefore I thought he was more like 6'9. As soon as I saw he was 6'7 I started to think that the Bulls may play Butler as both 2/3 because I do think he has the quickness to play the 2 and offensively hes a decent slasher.

His own coach at Marquette said the guy's jumper is passable at best. He's Deng's backup.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
J4L,

May not agree with what you say, but I do agree that you should be able to have your opinion (regardless of what I may think of it).

Wow, yeah, ummmm, really? It's not like J4L was violating any rules. This bites.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 09:09 AM)
The Bulls are playing this very smartly. They know this new cap could kick their faces in within a few years, as some of the kids start to land their big deals. Even with being projected to be in the 25 to 30 drafting range for the foreseeable future, they have set themselves up to have a couple of lottery type draft picks coming to them. That is some New England Patriots type work right there.

I've been comparing what the Bulls did last night to the numerous drafts that the Spurs have made like this. I'm quite happy with what the Bulls got.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 01:19 AM)
He's 6'10" 225 and a forward.

He was a 6th man off of the bench for Real Madrid Basketball.

7.9 PPG 3.8 RPG 0.5 APG 0.7 SPG 0.3 BPG

.524 FG% .889 FT% .421 3PT%

But he was 20. And Real Madrid is considered the best basketball team in the world outside the United States (and I guess Canada, although that could be debated). Look at those percentages though, he has a great shot and is only really coming into his own. This year, I am sure he will be moved into the starting line-up and become the star you want him to be.

My overall point is the Bulls won 62 games last year despite injuries and they weren't going get their championship-caliber 2-guard in the draft, so they had to take the best player available. And he is that exactly. Once he comes over here, he will much more physically mature and probably ready to make a 20-minute impact in the NBA right away.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
But he was 20. And Real Madrid is considered the best basketball team in the world outside the United States (and I guess Canada, although that could be debated). Look at those percentages though, he has a great shot and is only really coming into his own. This year, I am sure he will be moved into the starting line-up and become the star you want him to be.

My overall point is the Bulls won 62 games last year despite injuries and they weren't going their championship-caliber 2-guard in the draft, so they had to take the best player available. And he is that exactly. Once he comes over here, he will much more physically mature and probably ready to make a 20-minute impact in the NBA right away.

And he will also be coming in at a time when we are in all reality going to be losing some really good players to the salary cap.

From Sports Illustrated on Mirotic

3a. Bulls. First, Jimmy Butler. The ex-Marquette forward is polished and across-the-board good in a lot of categories. At worst, he's a terrific practice player. Nikola Mirotic, however, is the gem. A lot of international scouts are high on Mirotic, a rangy scorer with unlimited range and a surly style that enables him to play through contact. He doesn't need to contribute next season, and he probably won't; Mirotic has a buyout clause with Real Madrid worth more than $2 million. In a few years, however, look for Mirotic to come Stateside and compete for a starting spot. Said a rival executive, "He's a stud."

I think more needs to be explained about his buyout because $2 million is not really that much. There must be some really sticky language in his contract. Granted, he isn't ready physically to be in the NBA yet, but I would really like to know more about the buyout. Hopefully once Gar can talk about Mirotic (when the trade is finalized), we will know some more specifics of his contract.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
I'll say, with a lockout looming, drafting someone with a buyout clause never made more sense. Let Mirotic rock it overseas and add some bulk to his frame.

exactly.

I still can't believe the circus comments from last night happened.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
exactly.

I still can't believe the circus comments from last night happened.

Yeah, and because we are only taking on one guaranteed contract, we will presumably have a little more cash for a free agent or two.

Let alone what drove me crazy is using the bpa comment against the bulls, when clearly they weren't drafting on need. They didn't need a 7 ft forward, they needed a SG. And all these talks about drafting a sg in 20-32 that could contribute right away is crazy. He'd never see the floor. How many of those players have been great? Eddie Jones?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Let alone what drove me crazy is using the bpa comment against the bulls, when clearly they weren't drafting on need. They didn't need a 7 ft forward, they needed a SG. And all these talks about drafting a sg in 20-32 that could contribute right away is crazy. He'd never see the floor. How many of those players have been great? Eddie Jones?

The only thing I can say for certain is Rudy Fernandez was acquired for a pick that came after 1-23. That saddens me, as I might be his biggest fan and I think he'd be a great get for the Bulls in a must-score situation as he is just a little offensive firecracker. However, he's still a bad idea to have starting next to Rose given his severe lack of defensive ability and mindset.

I think some posters here were too hard on J4L last night, this is an open forum and he didn't insult anyone here so I don't get what rule he broke.

Sure, sometimes he's over the top (that Bosh is better than Rose was out there) but that's why we have an ignore button, use it.Overall I like his posts though I don't agree with all of them, he's been right and he's been wrong, just like EVERYONE here.If anyone here has a crystal ball and can see these picks will pan out, PM me tonight's Lotto numbers, I kinda would like to retire and live the life.

\rant

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
I think some posters here were too hard on J4L last night, this is an open forum and he didn't insult anyone here so I don't get what rule he broke.

Sure, sometimes he's over the top (that Bosh is better than Rose was out there) but that's why we have an ignore button, use it.Overall I like his posts though I don't agree with all of them, he's been right and he's been wrong, just like EVERYONE here.If anyone here has a crystal ball and can see these picks will pan out, PM me tonight's Lotto numbers, I kinda would like to retire and live the life.

\rant

And in the end, he was very much right on his first and main part of his infamous post: This board incredibly overrates Omer Asik. The fact that we may have just drafted someone in the first round to play 12 MPG 3-4 years from now should only scare people, especially when the Bulls should be in win now mode. And that's all he was trying to address at the time.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
From Sports Illustrated on Mirotic

I think more needs to be explained about his buyout because $2 million is not really that much. There must be some really sticky language in his contract. Granted, he isn't ready physically to be in the NBA yet, but I would really like to know more about the buyout. Hopefully once Gar can talk about Mirotic (when the trade is finalized), we will know some more specifics of his contract.

By rule, the Bulls can only contribute 500k to solve his buyout situation. Mirotic (or his agent I guess) would have to cover the other $1.5 mil. That wouldn't have really been an issue if he'd gone in the top-5, but at the 23 slot that's more than he'd make in his first year in the NBA.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
And in the end, he was very much right on his first and main part of his infamous post: This board incredibly overrates Omer Asik. The fact that we may have just drafted someone in the first round to play 12 MPG 3-4 years from now should only scare people, especially when the Bulls should be in win now mode. And that's all he was trying to address at the time.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but championship teams rarely find their missing pieces in the 25-32 range of the NBA draft. Players like Asik, and hopefully Mirotic, are exactly the time of role players that help you win championships. I don't think any of us expect the offseason to be over, except for 1.

I like J4L but he was incredibly reactionary last night.

Soxbadger (my quote/reply function on my iTouch doesn't work on this site)

I didn't take that from his posts, he expressed his frustration but I didn't think he was making those comments "about him".

Anyways, he doesn't need me to defend him, I just hope he doesn't get suspended or banned for expressing his opinions especially since he didn't offend anyone.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
I like J4L but he was incredibly reactionary last night.

It's the NBA Draft. Everything posted about it was reactionary last night. He was just negative in his reaction.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)

The odds are not in the Bulls' favor, but a sampling of some quality guards that have gone 23rd or later since 2000...

Monta Ellis (high school, so not totally fair)

Michael Redd

Gilbert Arenas

Kevin Martin

Tony Parker (though may not totally be fair since he was a foreigner)

Josh Howard (guard/forward)

Mo Williams

Aaron Afflalo

Whether or not anyone in this brutal draft turns out to be that good is an entirely different story.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
It's the NBA Draft. Everything posted about it was reactionary last night. He was just negative in his reaction.

Reactionary wasn't the right word, but he was putting way too much emphasis on this draft and the bulls future.

If this was cleveland/utah/minnesota, i'd understand. But it wasn't. If we traded rose for derrick williams I could see it, but this draft was so bad I don't think it will be the turning point for any franchise, let alone ours.