2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Give me JR over a "chemsitry guy" who can't put the ball in the hoop.

For someone who "puts the ball in the hoop", JR Smith is incredibly ineffective of doing that at a high percentage. Sure, you are going to make a lot of threes when you shoot 4 per game like he did last year.

That's down from the 6.2 (SIX POINT TWO) that he attempted per game the year prior.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want Jason Richardson. JR Smith is supremely talented, but is always in the news for the wrong reasons. I would rather have JR than Bogans granted, but Richardson is perfect for this Bulls team.

Veteran who can hit 3s. He is also 6'6" which would be nice to have. Can handle the basketball decently. I'll be honest I have never really paid attention to his defense, but he seems like a guy who is average right now, but has never been asked to play defense besides his 55 games in Orlando this year.

Edited by maggsmaggs

You make it sound as if the guy is a pathetic 3 pt shooter. Over the last 5 years 39/40/40/34/39 %. He can create offense which is something we desperately need, clearly there are other candidates I would prefer but I don't understand the notion that acquiring no one would be better than acquiring JR Smith.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
As opposed to another guy who has to be benched for long stretches in important junctions of the game? No thanks. No more Boozers.

Unless the Bulls find some team willing to dump a full time starting level SG for contract reasons (don't ask me to attach a name), whoever they get to add on at that position is probably going to be benched for long stretches at important junctions of some games.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
It's kahn, though.

Ya know, after listening to his podcast with Bill Simmons, I came away thinking that Khan is a lot smarter than I thought. Yes, a lot of his deals have been bad, but he explained a lot of those mistakes, like his reasoning for drafted Rubio and Flynn in the same draft. I found myself thinking "that sounds reasonable" or "yeah, I guess that makes sense" more than once.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
Ya know, after listening to his podcast with Bill Simmons, I came away thinking that Khan is a lot smarter than I thought.

Exact same here. He impressed me... and clearly he won over BS.

not me. He seems way too emotionally attached to players, has no idea how to put a team together. As a whole, he seems like a nice guy that isn't prepared for the harsh realities of being a GM.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
For someone who "puts the ball in the hoop", JR Smith is incredibly ineffective of doing that at a high percentage. Sure, you are going to make a lot of threes when you shoot 4 per game like he did last year.

Haven't you made the argument in the past that Derrick Rose should continue to shoot the three?

And let me just say that it is absolutely hilarious to read this thread's opinions on Kahn on this page. Carry on.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
Haven't you made the argument in the past that Derrick Rose should continue to shoot the three?

And let me just say that it is absolutely hilarious to read this thread's opinions on Kahn on this page. Carry on.

Derrick Rose does a f***load more than JR Smith. You bringing this up is just baiting and silly. Derrick Rose carried the team on his back like that injured guy (EDIT: Greg Jennings) from Madden that made for a funny YouTube clip. JR Smith was at best his team's 3rd, but more likely 4th option.

You are silly. Go stare at you KEVIN. LOVE. wall poster a bit more and dial me up when you have anything resembling a legitimate point.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
Derrick Rose does a f***load more than JR Smith. You bringing this up is just baiting and silly. Derrick Rose carried the team on his back like that injured guy (EDIT: Greg Jennings) from Madden that made for a funny YouTube clip. JR Smith was at best his team's 3rd, but more likely 4th option.

Wait, Derrick Rose is better at basketball than JR Smith? Really? Thank you for clearing that up, I'm sure that s*** is crystal clear for everyone now.

I just find it funny how when player A shoots 4.0 3P a game and makes 1.6 of them, and then player B shoots 4.8 3P a game and makes 1.6 of them, player A is "incredibly ineffective of doing that at a high percentage" and player B is the best player in the world and immune from ever being criticized because you watched the Bulls when they're bad. If you're going to give credence to efficiency and statistics, then be consistent about it. That's all I'm asking for.

And before you go on detailing about how Rose is a far better player than JR Smith: Yes, yes he is. It's not even close. Rose is 20x the player that JR Smith, and has 1/10th of the off-court baggage that Smith brings. This is completely irrelevant to the point I'm making, but completely true.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:21 PM)
Wait, Derrick Rose is better at basketball than JR Smith? Really? Thank you for clearing that up, I'm sure that s*** is crystal clear for everyone now.

I just find it funny how when player A shoots 4.0 3P a game and makes 1.6 of them, and then player B shoots 4.8 3P a game and makes 1.6 of them, player A is "incredibly ineffective of doing that at a high percentage" and player B is the best player in the world and immune from ever being criticized because you watched the Bulls when they're bad. If you're going to give credence to efficiency and statistics, then be consistent about it. That's all I'm asking for.

And before you go on detailing about how Rose is a far better player than JR Smith: Yes, yes he is. It's not even close. Rose is 20x the player that JR Smith, and has 1/10th of the off-court baggage that Smith brings. This is completely irrelevant to the point I'm making, but completely true.

But I think his point was that, as the focal point of his team's offense, he's going to be forced to take more shots? Whereas, Smith has the luxury of being able to get a better shot, since he isn't the one his team is counting on.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
But I think his point was that, as the focal point of his team's offense, he's going to be forced to take more shots? Whereas, Smith has the luxury of being able to get a better shot, since he isn't the one his team is counting on.

His point was that JR Smith isn't an effective three point shooter and only makes them because he shoots a lot, which simply isn't true at all. Yes, he shoots a lot of threes, but yes, he also converts on a high percentage of them.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
I want JR Smith. He would be an excellent second creator on offense and would fill our offensive void at SG nicely. Character issues be damned, give me talent.

Would absolutely love him here. Good ball handler, can spread the floor, has size in the back court, excellent in transition, very athletic in the open and half court game for Derrick, "willing" defender. (and I say that loosely.. would love to see what Thibs can do with him and his athleticism, has a very good swing span) One of the better fits out there (along with Mayo, Affalo, etc.) for the Bulls for sure.. a sane J.R. Smith. Would love the Rodman-like craziness/attitude (whatever you wanna call it) for this team, but even Dennis was less crazy off the court.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
His point was that JR Smith isn't an effective three point shooter and only makes them because he shoots a lot, which simply isn't true at all. Yes, he shoots a lot of threes, but yes, he also converts on a high percentage of them.

Nope. My point was comparing JR Smith and his role in an offense to anything Derrick Rose does is simply idiotic.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
Would absolutely love him here. Good ball handler, can spread the floor, has size in the back court, excellent in transition, very athletic in the open and half court game for Derrick, "willing" defender. (and I say that loosely.. would love to see what Thibs can do with him and his athleticism, has a very good swing span) One of the better fits out there (along with Mayo, Affalo, etc.) for the Bulls for sure.. a sane J.R. Smith. Would love the Rodman-like craziness/attitude (whatever you wanna call it) for this team, but even Dennis was less crazy off the court.

Didn't we already have him once and give him away for nothing?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)

You are silly. Go stare at you KEVIN. LOVE. wall poster a bit more and dial me up when you have anything resembling a legitimate point.

Steve, this was entirely unnecessary.