2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
I really wouldn't mind Richardson either, again though not a top choice. I personally don't think the Bulls were as far away as other people seem to think. If we had a 2 who could create and knock down 3s we could have easily won the Heat series. And that's with DRose playing pretty atrociously.

Yeah, I mean, obviously JR Smith would be an upgrade as well, I just wanted to aim a little higher. We're so far away from having any idea what the Bulls can/will do, it's depressing.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
Yeah, I mean, obviously JR Smith would be an upgrade as well, I just wanted to aim a little higher. We're so far away from having any idea what the Bulls can/will do, it's depressing.

Almost any "Aim higher" candidate has to come from the trade market, and that's even more up in the air than FA. At least in FA we know which guys are available, even if we don't know how much we have to spend on them. The trade market is entirely up in the air; guys' availability won't be known until we have CBA rules, so we're just guessing on guys like Ellis or Gordon.

I really wouldn't mind Richardson either, again though not a top choice. I personally don't think the Bulls were as far away as other people seem to think. If we had a 2 who could create and knock down 3s we could have easily won the Heat series. And that's with DRose playing pretty atrociously.

Those people would be idiots. Bulls won 62 games and made the Conference Finals. Lost in five, but only one game was a blowout, and that was the Bulls doing the blowout. Boozer/Noah struggled, but hopefully that was injury-related. They got nothing from Korver who usually is a great shooter. This team is damn close. If they kept the roster the same, they would be damn good and still be a top three teams in the NBA.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
So JR Smith is a chucker but Jason Richardson is a good efficient score? Similar TS% for both but less shot attempts for JR...

Well look at you comming out of the wood works. Nice checkmate post as well Willie.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
Those people would be idiots. Bulls won 62 games and made the Conference Finals. Lost in five, but only one game was a blowout, and that was the Bulls doing the blowout. Boozer/Noah struggled, but hopefully that was injury-related. They got nothing from Korver who usually is a great shooter. This team is damn close. If they kept the roster the same, they would be damn good and still be a top three teams in the NBA.

Game 3 felt like a blowout.

That series sucked. The Heat decided to play their best ball of the year as LeBron went apes*** in those 4th quarters... that's something that's not likely to happen again. Also, Rose did nothing short of choke down the stretch in those games, which I don't expect to see happen very often moving forward.

Ugh, I'm still having nightmares of those isolation plays with Rose on LeBron.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
Game 3 felt like a blowout.

That series sucked. The Heat decided to play their best ball of the year as LeBron went apes*** in those 4th quarters... that's something that's not likely to happen again. Also, Rose did nothing short of choke down the stretch in those games, which I don't expect to see happen very often moving forward.

Ugh, I'm still having nightmares of those isolation plays with Rose on LeBron.

I don't know why Lebron going ape**** is unlikely to happen again. Rose choking like that is hopefully unlikely, but hell, those weren't even great quarters for Lebron, they were good ones but he has better.

LeBron couldn't have played Rose if we had a 2 who could take the pressure off of him. Or if he did take Rose, our two would have toasted whatever PG was in the game. That made a huge difference in this series.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
I don't know why Lebron going ape**** is unlikely to happen again. Rose choking like that is hopefully unlikely, but hell, those weren't even great quarters for Lebron, they were good ones but he has better.

He wasn't driving to the lane and making easy layups. He was hitting 20-25 foot shots with a hand in his face. He did the same thing (though less often) during the Boston series. Not much you can do about that. And really, I think the Mavericks exposed Lebron a little. It's up to Lebron to counter the league, but I guess we'll see how many commercials he shoots over the summer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
LeBron couldn't have played Rose if we had a 2 who could take the pressure off of him. Or if he did take Rose, our two would have toasted whatever PG was in the game. That made a huge difference in this series.

BINGO. Having such an offensively inept shooting guard really hurts the team in a vareity of ways. Even if Bogans was knocking down the open 3s that is still all he is a threat to do. When you have a 2 who can create off his own dribble and shoot the 3 (even if hes only decent at both) it completely changes the complexion of the offense.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
BINGO. Having such an offensively inept shooting guard really hurts the team in a vareity of ways. Even if Bogans was knocking down the open 3s that is still all he is a threat to do. When you have a 2 who can create off his own dribble and shoot the 3 (even if hes only decent at both) it completely changes the complexion of the offense.

I still have the same retort though...anyone you replace that offensively inept SG with also needs to be able to hold their ground against D-Wade, or you don't gain all that much.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
I still have the same retort though...anyone you replace that offensively inept SG with also needs to be able to hold their ground against D-Wade, or you don't gain all that much.

Which is why you are looking for more than JR Smith.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
Which is why you are looking for more than JR Smith.

And since Jason Richardson and JR Smith are seemingly the best SG options who appear to be on the FA market...that leaves the position as a major concern.

Don't get me wrong about my Bulls are still terrific sentiment, I still want a better 2-guard. But this very same roster would compete next year admirably. We obviously have a better chance at the NBA Championship with JR (Richardson or Smith for that matter) as a our starting 2-guard than Bogans. But some people are acting like this Bulls team won 41 games again, barely made any noise in the playoffs and are in dire need of a complete makeover.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)

Absolutely, that is not a forgotten point. However from an overall team standpoint I think the difference between Bogans>JR Smith on offense, as well as how much better it would make the other players on offense could improve our team even with the decline in defense. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
Absolutely, that is not a forgotten point. However from an overall team standpoint I think the difference between Bogans>JR Smith on offense, as well as how much better it would make the other players on offense could improve our team even with the decline in defense. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

Well, let's also not forget that in the NBA, there are so many timeouts called in the final minutes that you can match a defensive stopper down the stretch, call timeout, and get your scorer in there. This was certainly key in Game 4 when the Bulls had the last shot and ISO'd again and I cried.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
Well, let's also not forget that in the NBA, there are so many timeouts called in the final minutes that you can match a defensive stopper down the stretch, call timeout, and get your scorer in there. This was certainly key in Game 4 when the Bulls had the last shot and ISO'd again and I cried.

I'm still not convinced that the Rose ISO and jump shot was the actual play call there. Or at least if there was an Iso call, Rose wasn't supposed to just dribble and shoot on Lebron. That can't have been the call.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
I'm still not convinced that the Rose ISO and jump shot was the actual play call there. Or at least if there was an Iso call, Rose wasn't supposed to just dribble and shoot on Lebron. That can't have been the call.

It happened twice. Whatever was called the first time... well, it certainly shouldn't have been called again because the results were identically bad.

I have game 4 recorded and on the last shot Rose took on LBJ, the right side of the floor was open and Boozer had his man sealed off...why Rose didn't try to take it to the rim is beyond me, LBJ is a heck of a defensive player but anyting but a jumper there is a better shot.Rose absolutly needed to attack LBJ there, hopefully he learns from that.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
I have game 4 recorded and on the last shot Rose took on LBJ, the right side of the floor was open and Boozer had his man sealed off...why Rose didn't try to take it to the rim is beyond me, LBJ is a heck of a defensive player but anyting but a jumper there is a better shot.Rose absolutly needed to attack LBJ there, hopefully he learns from that.

I was screaming "Drive, Drive, Drive!".

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)

Because the defense would've collapsed. Korver didn't have a good game that series. Boozer was throwing up weak stuff all series. Literally, everyone knew on Miami's side, Derrick was going to drive it and wasn't going to dish it. He wouldn't have had a lane to do so at all and Miami would've blocked that garbage. With the Iso jumper, he had a legit one on one shot, he simply missed.

^^If you have gm 4, right before Rose shoots, Boozer was posting Anthony and then he goes under the hoop sealing Anthony...there was an opening for Rose to drive, check out the replay.

Anyways, that's old news, like everyone here says, we need a 2nd option who can create his own shot so the other team can't overplay Rose.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
Well, I'm seriously banking that Richardson isn't as bad as 2010/2011.

CAREER TS%:

Jason Richardson - .531

J.R. Smith - .547

CAREER PPS:

Jason Richardson - 1.17

J.R. Smith - 1.21

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
CAREER TS%:

Jason Richardson - .531

J.R. Smith - .547

CAREER PPS:

Jason Richardson - 1.17

J.R. Smith - 1.21

Richardson's been a pretty good shooter since he left Golden State though. His TS% has never dipped below .554 since he left the Warriors.