2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2...owners-players/

Dear god that would be awful. Just as a reference point, the Bulls payroll for 2011-2012 is $60,726,162 for ONLY 10 players (Boozer, Deng, Rose, Noah, Korver, Brewer, Watson, Asik, Bogans and Gibson).

And the Bulls have to re-sign Rose to a max deal. This is gonna be a long long long winter without any basketball.

One, that will never happen. But 2, without guaranteed contracts it gets a lot easier to not give a s*** about possible bad contracts.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)

Dear god that would be awful. Just as a reference point, the Bulls payroll for 2011-2012 is $60,726,162 for ONLY 10 players (Boozer, Deng, Rose, Noah, Korver, Brewer, Watson, Asik, Bogans and Gibson).

And the Bulls have to re-sign Rose to a max deal. This is gonna be a long long long winter without any basketball.

Yep, I've basically come to the realization that the season will not start on time. Best-case scenario would be for a repeat of '99 and getting 50 games in. But that's even doubtful.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Yep, I've basically come to the realization that the season will not start on time. Best-case scenario would be for a repeat of '99 and getting 50 games in. But that's even doubtful.

IF the league gets that many games in, it's because the union broke, and the proposal we just read probably will look like what we'll actually see.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)

Remember...whatever the "Max deal" is would obviously change in this situation (no team can get by with a guy on a $17 million deal if the cap is $45 million).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Remember...whatever the "Max deal" is would obviously change in this situation (no team can get by with a guy on a $17 million deal if the cap is $45 million).

Yeah that's very true. And obviously the league won't look like that first proposal b/c there is no way the players will agree to that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
One, that will never happen. But 2, without guaranteed contracts it gets a lot easier to not give a s*** about possible bad contracts.

Exactly. The bulls could easily dump Boozer or Noah and get even further below the cap.

I could see an MLB style cap structure where the "soft cap" is 45 million, but if you go over you have to pay $ for $ into a revenue sharing structure.

And yes, a hard cap would HAVE to be phased in. Teams are not going to want to cut their key players to make the cap (even if they plan on resigning them), there's too much of a risk they might walk to another team. and even with a 33% reduction in pay, any team currently over $67.164 million in payroll would be destroyed overnight.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
Gone for 2 weeks and nothing changes.

I missed SoxTalk.

Like the Mirotic draft-and-stash and if we get a guy who can spell Deng and play D at 30, I can live with that.

Nothing will change until the CBA gets fixed. If you were expecting something new, I wouldn't click into this thread until after an agreement was reached.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
I could see an MLB style cap structure where the "soft cap" is 45 million, but if you go over you have to pay $ for $ into a revenue sharing structure.

This is exactly what they currently have right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
Nothing will change until the CBA gets fixed. If you were expecting something new, I wouldn't click into this thread until after an agreement was reached.

By nothing changes I mean J4L's pessimism, Felix busting out stats, Steve arguing with Felix, etc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
This is exactly what they currently have right now.

Right, but a lower cap could increase the amount of money that goes around.

Personally, I dont want to see rev sharing because I just dont think it really helps all that much. I want to see contraction of the weak financial teams, but that wont happen. Contract the Bucks, Hornets, and Kings for starters.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
I remember the NBA. It's too bad we might lose an entire year of D-Rose development on the court in actual game situations.

It's possible that an extra 6 months off from competitive, 100% give it your all basketball will wind up being a good thing for his health years down the road.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
It's possible that an extra 6 months off from competitive, 100% give it your all basketball will wind up being a good thing for his health years down the road.

The problem is it will do the same for everyone else as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
The problem is it will do the same for everyone else as well.

Except I care about it a lot more for a guy like Rose...came into the league as a college sophomore, lotta miles on the odometer early, guy who is more effective when he is drawing contact and who always has the ball in his hands.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Except I care about it a lot more for a guy like Rose...came into the league as a college sophomore, lotta miles on the odometer early, guy who is more effective when he is drawing contact and who always has the ball in his hands.

It also means that someone like LeBron or Kobe could get the most millage out of this.