2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
I'm on pins and needles over whether a guy that averaged 6.5/3.2/3.5 on 31 percent shooting in 20 Spanish League games will come over here.

It would make sense for him to consider staying there though simply due to the labor situation. Even if he wasn't hot garbage.

He's not staying in Europe. There is a 0% chance of that.

And saying a guy sucks based on his Europe numbers when he can't even legally drink yet in this country is really f***ing stupid. I'm not saying he's going to be good, and I don't think he's worth the hype that he's gotten from Kahn over the years, but the "Rubio is awful, look at these numbers that don't translate to the NBA at all" camp really doesn't know what they're talking about either.

Edited by Felix

One of the first of many offers I'm sure;

The Warriors have reportedly offered to trade Monta Ellis, Ekpe Udoh, and Andris Biedrins in exchange for Dwight Howard.

This comes from DraftExpress.com, a reputable site, though they note that it is "unlikely" this offer will induce the Magic to part with their franchise center. Howard said recently that he won't sign an extension and will instead become a free agent, and this is surely the first of many trade offers.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
is there a moratorium on trades right now until a CBA is worked out?

No. This behaves like any other offseason until the CBA expires. The trade moratorium should have ended after the finals. Teams can trade players for players and draft picks at their leisure.

However, teams don't know what the CBA will do, so if they take on salary in a trade, they're gambling.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)

And saying a guy sucks based on his Europe numbers when he can't even legally drink yet in this country is really f***ing stupid. I'm not saying he's going to be good, and I don't think he's worth the hype that he's gotten from Kahn over the years, but the "Rubio is awful, look at these numbers that don't translate to the NBA at all" camp really doesn't know what they're talking about either.

The only thing that concerns me about Rubio is his shooting percentage. He is young so he may still develop into a better shooter.

Him averaging 5 points a game doesnt really mean anything. My friend has played in Spain the past two seasons so I've followed it a bit and its a totally different game. More of a team game and you dont see too many players scoring the majority of a team's points.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
Do the Bulls have an offer that can top that without including Rose?

Deng, Noah, + somebody else?

IMO, that's WAY better than the GS offer.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)

The contracts of both of those guys last until the end of the 2014 season though, none of the guys in that Warriors trade are guaranteed past 2012/2013.

Orlando is in a really rough place if they go to a hard cap by then.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)

4 1st rd picks in the next 2 drafts. 2 late rd picks in 2011. Charlotte's and their own in 2012. They could probably use their 2-3 of those late rd picks to move up and have another mid pick to add with Charlotte's.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
4 1st rd picks in the next 2 drafts. 2 late rd picks in 2011. Charlotte's and their own in 2012. They could probably use their 2-3 of those late rd picks to move up and have another mid pick to add with Charlotte's.

That will be the key to the Bulls having a shot at Howard. Those picks could very well become gold in the next CBA

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)

The pick they got from Charlotte is heavily protected.

2012- lottery protected

2013- top-12 protected

2014- top-10 protected

2015- top-8 protected

So, yeah, it's going to be a while before they actually get that pick. That hurts its value quite a bit.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 07:21 PM)

I don't think he's awful due to those numbers, I've always thought he was garbage. Those numbers just make me a bit more comfortable with that stance.

David Kahn managing to take three point guards in the same first round (incredible on its own merits), have two of them be horse s***, and trade the one that's actually good is among the more incredible draft feats I've ever seen.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)
The pick they got from Charlotte is heavily protected.

2012- lottery protected

2013- top-12 protected

2014- top-10 protected

2015- top-8 protected

So, yeah, it's going to be a while before they actually get that pick. That hurts its value quite a bit.

But...the fact that its eventually unprotected is a good thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
But...the fact that its eventually unprotected is a good thing.

Not really, at least not within the next year or so. Every traded pick is eventually unprotected (though obviously some are worth more than others). The big payoff on deals like that comes many years down the road when a team is under new management with a largely different group of players, not when the deal is made. Even then, the pick might not be as high as you hope it is, or it might be in a draft like this one.

If you're Orlando, waiting until 2016 to draft a guy that may still take a few years to develop is far from ideal. Plus given that Charlotte is in the East, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Magic end up waiting 3 or 4 years to get a late lottery pick, especially if the Bobcats hit on a couple of likely high lottery picks between now and then.

Now if the 2015 draft rolls around and the Bulls are still owed that pick, then it gets far more interesting. However, that's still 4 years away.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I really hope this is actually destroyed.

A Los Angeles music producer confirmed last week in a preliminary criminal hearing that at one point he had a tape from his home security system of Shaquille O'Neal having sex with a woman, but that it had been recorded over.

Asked by a prosecutor if he really had such a video at the time of an alleged attack and kidnapping, Robert Ross replied: "It was over. It was gone."

As previously reported in a sheriff's report, Ross testified that gang members kidnapped him in 2008 and told him the reason was an "issue" with O'Neal and his business partner.

Excerpts from the Monday preliminary hearing for seven gang members accused of kidnapping, robbery, assault and conspiracy in the attack on Ross appeared early Sunday on the Los Angeles Times' website.

In the transcripts, Ross -- who has claimed the attack came because he said he had the sex tape featuring O'Neal -- testified that his kidnappers beat him and demanded a "videotape."

O'Neal and business partner Mark Stevens have denied involvement in statements to investigators. Neither O'Neal nor Stevens has been charged or named in the criminal complaint.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
I don't think he's awful due to those numbers, I've always thought he was garbage. Those numbers just make me a bit more comfortable with that stance.

David Kahn managing to take three point guards in the same first round (incredible on its own merits), have two of them be horse s***, and trade the one that's actually good is among the more incredible draft feats I've ever seen.

Except David Kahn didn't take three point guards in the first round. He took two. The third was traded before the pick was made, but because of NBA rules, we had to technically make the pick. If the Wolves had kept the pick, they wouldn't have drafted Lawson. For all intensive purposes, Denver made the pick.

And Kahn f***ed up the Flynn pick, but Rubio was the right pick to make. Day of the draft, Rubio was great value at the 5th spot.

As for his skill, his shooting percentage is obviously the big concern, but he's still incredibly young and showed signs of improving it before they moved the three point line back last year. It'll probably be ugly for his first couple of seasons, and I'm certainly not drinking the koolaid on him yet, but to write him off already before he's even dribbled a basketball in the NBA is downright ridiculous.

So Vince Carter may be bought out.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...t-vince-carter/

He is better than Bogans, but not better than Iguodola, Ellis and a couple others out there, but also won't require giving up Taj/Omer. I think as a Plan C-type he would be a solid free agent pick-up assuming he would go to a contender for a lower salary. But then again he has injury issues. I like him as an addition only after we exhaust the trade options and a Jason Richardson pick-up who I think should be the top priority for this team.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
Is Carter going to take crap money?

He's made well over $100 million in NBA salary alone. Add in his endorsement deals, you have to figure money is no issue at this point (though somehow many NBAs manage to be broke after making boatload). You would hope at this point, it would be about a championship and not salary for him.

Vince ain't got too much left in the tank at all.

He's soft defensively, and some of shot selection in PHX was cringeworthy to say the least.

Bulls should target a younger SG with room to grow, Courtney Lee would be ideal.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:37 AM)
Vince ain't got too much left in the tank at all.

He's soft defensively, and some of shot selection in PHX was cringeworthy to say the least.

Well, soft is putting it mildly. He's frustrated me his whole career with his insane athleticism early on, only to be average at best defensively.. (hell, I still think he could of been one of the all time greats if he only had 1/4th the effort to try to be an all around great player. Had all the tools, even the fortitude to have the ball in his hands with the game on the line) Was/Is just a very lazy player.