2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

I'm sorry for actual NBA fans if this lockout is as long as many project it is...but from a personal, selfish standpoint, I was hoping for this. I hope David Stern is even more vilified, I hope he is eventually, somehow, forced out of the league (unlikely) and I am grateful I won't have to hear about how good the Thunder are for a little while.

I will never forgive David Stern for what he let happen to the Sonics, so anything bad that happens to him (or his league) I currently have no problem with.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)
I'm sorry for actual NBA fans if this lockout is as long as many project it is...but from a personal, selfish standpoint, I was hoping for this. I hope David Stern is even more vilified, I hope he is eventually, somehow, forced out of the league (unlikely) and I am grateful I won't have to hear about how good the Thunder are for a little while.

I will never forgive David Stern for what he let happen to the Sonics, so anything bad that happens to him (or his league) I currently have no problem with.

I like David Stern.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)

Stern MADE the NBA happen. Utah and Denver were about to fold before he became the commish and capitalized on budding superstars. The Sonics leaving had more to do with worthless fans than David Stern.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
Stern MADE the NBA happen. Utah and Denver were about to fold before he became the commish and capitalized on budding superstars. The Sonics leaving had more to do with worthless fans than David Stern.

This statement shows you have zero clue about what actually happened.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
This statement shows you have zero clue about what actually happened.

3 out of every 4 voters wouldnt approve a subsidy to keep the team in town. They had a chance to give the owners a big f*** you we are keeping our team, but they didnt feel like it. Additionally Seattle has the opportunity to recreate the Sonics if they want as all of the logos and the name are protected by the city and the NBA.

s*** even people in Cleveland could get it together enough to bring back their team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
3 out of every 4 voters wouldnt approve a subsidy to keep the team in town. They had a chance to give the owners a big f*** you we are keeping our team, but they didnt feel like it. Additionally Seattle has the opportunity to recreate the Sonics if they want as all of the logos and the name are protected by the city and the NBA.

s*** even people in Cleveland could get it together enough to bring back their team.

Are you serious?

They funded Key Arena when it was built 15 years earlier, they funded Safeco and they funded wherever the Seahawks play. All within a short time span. Then, a billionaire owner from Oklahoma comes in and buys the team and demands an arena upgrade? No, that's bulls***. He also proposed a new building in one of the worst and most inconvenient areas of the city. It was a proposal designed to not receive support. I don't know if you ever read any of Simmons columns, or watched SonicsGate (great documentary by the way) or really paid attention to what happened, but Bennett never had any intention of keeping that team there. E-mails even leaked out confirming that fact. David Stern knew this, he and Clay are long time good pals. He did nothing to prevent this. And the city holds the rights to the name, logo, records etc because Clay Bennett bought out the last year of the lease from the mayor so he could leave a year early. This is not at all on the fans. What happened was disgusting and it should be eye opening to every fan of any team in any sport, because precedent has been set and it could happen to just about anyone.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)

Frankly the onus is not on taxpayers. The league approved a purchase from owners from Oklahoma. They said the right things, but they never intended on keeping the team in Seattle. If the white sox ownership suddenly demanded a new stadium to be publicly funded, and the taxpayers didn't approve, you would put the blame on sox fans?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
3 out of every 4 voters wouldnt approve a subsidy to keep the team in town. They had a chance to give the owners a big f*** you we are keeping our team, but they didnt feel like it.

There was no way the team was going to stay in town. Bennett wanted them in OKC. He was going to make outrageous demands of Seattle and once they couldn't meet them, whooosh, off they go.

"Hi, I just bought this team for $350 million. Now build me a $500 million stadium."

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Are you serious?

They funded Key Arena when it was built 15 years earlier, they funded Safeco and they funded wherever the Seahawks play. All within a short time span. Then, a billionaire owner from Oklahoma comes in and buys the team and demands an arena upgrade? No, that's bulls***. He also proposed a new building in one of the worst and most inconvenient areas of the city. It was a proposal designed to not receive support. I don't know if you ever read any of Simmons columns, or watched SonicsGate (great documentary by the way) or really paid attention to what happened, but Bennett never had any intention of keeping that team there. E-mails even leaked out confirming that fact. David Stern knew this, he and Clay are long time good pals. He did nothing to prevent this. And the city holds the rights to the name, logo, records etc because Clay Bennett bought out the last year of the lease from the mayor so he could leave a year early. This is not at all on the fans. What happened was disgusting and it should be eye opening to every fan of any team in any sport, because precedent has been set and it could happen to just about anyone.

They could have stayed if they funded the new one and you can still have your Sonics just like Cleveland recreated their Browns. There have been teams that have tried to relocate for the exact same reasons (White Sox anyone) and they stayed. Those films and articles are very nicely put together from the Seattle POV, and I understand that there was alot of douchebaggery involved, but the fans and the city could have kept them if they wanted, instead they said it didnt matter if they left and their lawsuits were weak at best. A paltry 3,000 (est) fans showed up in protest to them leaving outside of the courthouse. I dont buy that it was all one-sided, and I certainly dont buy that Stern was at fault.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
Frankly the onus is not on taxpayers. The league approved a purchase from owners from Oklahoma. They said the right things, but they never intended on keeping the team in Seattle. If the white sox ownership suddenly demanded a new stadium to be publicly funded, and the taxpayers didn't approve, you would put the blame on sox fans?

Well, that has already happened hasnt it? We pay a hefty subsidy for the Sox to stay in town every year. Otherwise they would be in St Petersburg.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
They could have stayed if they funded the new one and you can still have your Sonics just like Cleveland recreated their Browns. There have been teams that have tried to relocate for the exact same reasons (White Sox anyone) and they stayed. Those films and articles are very nicely put together from the Seattle POV, and I understand that there was alot of douchebaggery involved, but the fans and the city could have kept them if they wanted, instead they said it didnt matter if they left and their lawsuits were weak at best. A paltry 3,000 (est) fans showed up in protest to them leaving outside of the courthouse. I dont buy that it was all one-sided, and I certainly dont buy that Stern was at fault.

Watch this film and read the Simmons article. It spells out everything that happened.

I can't fault Bennett for wanting to bring a team to his hometown, but I can fault him for being a douchebag and lying and the way he handles it. I can fault Howard Schultz for selling so quickly to an out of towner without giving an ample chance for a local buyer to come forward. And I fault David Stern for, at best turning a blind eye, and at worst for facilitating this. Faulting the fans is ridiculous. They historically had been one of the best in the league ad Seattle itself has served as a hotbed for talent. The last couple years of their existence are not indicative of the fan base, as Bennett & Co. were doing everything in their power to turn people away.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
Well, that has already happened hasnt it? We pay a hefty subsidy for the Sox to stay in town every year. Otherwise they would be in St Petersburg.

And asking the taxpayers to fit the bill again 20 years later? Would never happen, publicly funded stadiums is an era coming to a close.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)

Come on, Rock. You've been check f***ing mated. You are way off on this one. It happens to the best of us, bro.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
Come on, Rock. You've been check f***ing mated. You are way off on this one. It happens to the best of us, bro.

I disagree. Seattle's gov't and also the taxpayers had a chance to save the team, they didnt, end of story. They now have the chance to bring the Sonics back if they want to, and I havent seen any movement for it quite yet.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
Watch this film and read the Simmons article. It spells out everything that happened.

I can't fault Bennett for wanting to bring a team to his hometown, but I can fault him for being a douchebag and lying and the way he handles it. I can fault Howard Schultz for selling so quickly to an out of towner without giving an ample chance for a local buyer to come forward. And I fault David Stern for, at best turning a blind eye, and at worst for facilitating this. Faulting the fans is ridiculous. They historically had been one of the best in the league ad Seattle itself has served as a hotbed for talent. The last couple years of their existence are not indicative of the fan base, as Bennett & Co. were doing everything in their power to turn people away.

I'll take a look although I must be honest, I really dont care much about the topic. It sucks for Seattle fans who really liked the Sonics, but does it really matter to them anymore? I tried to find blogs or movements to bring them back etc and couldnt find one. I remember first hand the uproar in Cleveland when the Browns moved for seemingly no reason, and they really fought to bring them back.