2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Since it went so well for Al Gore...

He also, while working for the DOJ, beat Microsoft on an anti-trust case, he's on the team of attorneys for Jamie McCourt, and he worked with former solicitor general Olsen on a case which so far has beaten back California's Prop 8.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
So, how long before half the league goes broke, realizing KG and Pierce led them like sheep to slaughter?

Who gets fat? My guess is Beasley.

Does Baron Davis still count?

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
Good job, clowns. I don't care about hockey and football happens once a week. I hope whatever proposal you end up agreeing to is s*** compared to the one you just turned down.

Even if they pull off the exact same deal as the one they just turned down, they'll be out a billion dollars in earnings for the first 1/2 of this season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
ArashMarkazi Arash Markazi

Again, regular season would start 30 days after a deal is made. I assume drop-dead date for a 50-game season would be around Jan. 6.

Have you seen any estimate of the legal schedule? In the NFL Version, the Union decertified on March 11th, and the first arguments were heard on April 6th.

A similar schedule here would put the first hearing happening right around Christmastime, and there's a few extra holidays stuck in there which will slow things down. The big decision that finally pushed a deal to happen took about 4 months.

ChrisMannixSI Chris Mannix

Stern: "We're not issuing idle threats. They are going to start a lawsuit? We don't even understand the strategy."

KCJHoop K.C Johnson

More Stern: "They seem hellbent on self-destruction and it's very sad."

KCJHoop K.C Johnson

Even more Stern: "We were very close and the players blew it up." Also used the phrase "nuclear winter." Ouch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Even if they pull off the exact same deal as the one they just turned down, they'll be out a billion dollars in earnings for the first 1/2 of this season.

I'd imagine. I'm just pissed off that it actually has gotten to the point where the season is unlikely, even though much of the speculation as far back as last season warned about just that.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
I'd imagine. I'm just pissed off that it actually has gotten to the point where the season is unlikely, even though much of the speculation as far back as last season warned about just that.

If they lose the whole season, the players will be out ~$1.85 billion total.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
@DarnellMayberry

Darnell Mayberry

Lots of players were smiling and joking just before the start of the news conference. Kobe Bryant looked pissed.

His contract pays him $25.244 million this year, $27.849 next year, and $30.453 the year after.

IF Stern isn't kidding and they're going to respond by voiding all contracts in some fashion, and rewritten contracts will have to follow new CBA rules, this might well cost Kobe $40 million +.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
His contract pays him $25.244 million this year.

KG and Pierce were getting nice money too.

Doesn't change the fact that Kobe knew this deal was the best they'd get.

Him, Ray, and a few other can get masters.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
So here's a question. If all contracts are voided, what does that mean if/when the league comes back? Will teams still hold restrictions on players who were under contract previously?

If this step happens, the answer will be "That is an issue for either the courts to decide or for the players and owners to collectively bargain in the future."

It's basically totally up in the air. If both sides could agree to it, they could have everyone start off as a free agent & just let the league sort itself out anew. Not extremely likely, but there is no restriction left on anything if preexisting contracts are voided, unless the courts step in.

You have to think that there are owners who are drooling over the idea of getting out from under some of these contracts, and they will take full advantage of it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
So here's a question. If all contracts are voided, what does that mean if/when the league comes back? Will teams still hold restrictions on players who were under contract previously?

I'd imagine so. No different than drafting a guy without signing him. You still hold the rights, but no contract exists.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
If this step happens, the answer will be "That is an issue for either the courts to decide or for the players and owners to collectively bargain in the future."

It's basically totally up in the air. If both sides could agree to it, they could have everyone start off as a free agent & just let the league sort itself out anew. Not extremely likely, but there is no restriction left on anything if preexisting contracts are voided, unless the courts step in.

You have to think that there are owners who are drooling over the idea of getting out from under some of these contracts, and they will take full advantage of it.

Are you sure? This doesn't make any sense to me. The NBA is still an entity with it's own rules and contracts. I'm guessing that when a player is drafted/signed there are two contracts/agreements signed - one between the player and the franchise, the other between the franchise and the NBA.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
Are you sure? This doesn't make any sense to me. The NBA is still an entity with it's own rules and contracts. I'm guessing that when a player is drafted/signed there are two contracts/agreements signed - one between the player and the franchise, the other between the franchise and the NBA.

No, I'm not sure, but the thing that doesn't make any sense to me is why decertifying would give the owners the right to void all remaining player contracts, yet that is exactly what Stern said, quite clearly, would happen.

If the league has the power to void every existing player contract upon decertification, then everything from that point is now a matter for negotiation.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)

In reality it just means that the players and owners will in all likelihood agree that the voiding never happened, when a settlement gets done. There is no way they set the entire NBA lose as a free agent without contracts.