WTF are we waiting for ? Call up Viciedo !

macsandz

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Rios as leadoff is a bad idea. You need someone who can actually get on base.

For some reason, i see Alexei as the best option.

That's the other thing. I don't care how you get on base, just do it. At this point, you're looking at a .350 OBP from Alexei and a .260 from Rios. Even if Rios started to hit well, his OBP wouldn't be any higher than .340 - .350. That's just the kind of hitter he is.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
That's the other thing. I don't care how you get on base, just do it. At this point, you're looking at a .350 OBP from Alexei and a .260 from Rios. Even if Rios started to hit well, his OBP wouldn't be any higher than .340 - .350. That's just the kind of hitter he is.

Ya true but I am not questioning Ramirez ability to to succeed at the lead off spot. It just that we are removing one of our potent bat from the heart of the order where runs are produced and knowing Ozzie he would prolly put Rios at the 5th or 6th slot no less which will lead to failure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
I'd agree with that statement for sure. He is prone to long slumps and pouting. Not exactly what you want setting the table for you.

How can you prove that? Where as I can prove he's lazy, this seems like a stretch.... :lolhitting

It will be interesting and fun when Viciedo comes up. But, some folks aren't l;ooking at the reality of making the line up. KW likes Rios in CF. Lillibridge can play all three OF positions plus 2B and I am guessing SS and 3B when needed in a pinch. Pierre gets traded is a possibility, but we still have a need for the lead off hitter. You can't have Viciedo, Lilli, Rios and Quentin all in the OF lineup at the same time. They might rotate. Time will tell

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
You're going to call me crazy and I would too.

Viciedo.

LOL not bad I wouldn't mind that but I was thinking prolly after Dunn batting 6th.... so we would have Quentin, Konerko, Dunn and Viciedo, that would be awesome. But Viciedo batting 2nd ain't bad either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
You're going to call me crazy and I would too.

Viciedo.

It's not crazy at all, if you buy into Tango's lineup optimization research. According to linear weights , the 2-hole should be possibly your best or second best overall run producer. I don't know if that will be Viciedo, but it certainly could be.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
This team is going to be like the 2010 Blue Jays. All power, no on-base. It sucks that our only reliable on-base guy happens to be one of the slowest guys in the majors, lol.

Currently, the White Sox have the 6th best OBP in the AL (conveniently the Blue Jays are 5th). If Rios and Dunn were hitting their weights, then the Sox would probably have the 3rd best OBP in the AL. (Detroit is #3 with a .330 OBP, the Sox are 6th with a .327. Boston and NYC are well ahead of everyone else)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
Currently, the White Sox have the 6th best OBP in the AL (conveniently the Blue Jays are 5th). If Rios and Dunn were hitting their weights, then the Sox would probably have the 3rd best OBP in the AL.

Interesting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
Currently, the White Sox have the 6th best OBP in the AL (conveniently the Blue Jays are 5th). If Rios and Dunn were hitting their weights, then the Sox would probably have the 3rd best OBP in the AL. (Detroit is #3 with a .330 OBP, the Sox are 6th with a .327. Boston and NYC are well ahead of everyone else)

Quite sure Blue Jays OBP is heavily impacted by Bautista's .500 OBP. There is nothing to really worry about cuz we are only removing Pierre and it's not like we are getting any significant production from his bat. Any bat replacing him is great.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
Quite sure Blue Jays OBP is heavily impacted by Bautista's .500 OBP. There is nothing to really worry about cuz we are only removing Pierre and it's not like we are getting any significant production from his bat. Any bat replacing him is great.

Yeah, definitely. Pierre is an everything-sink right now. Not saying we'd be worse off putting any of our hitters at leadoff instead of him, just that we don't really have any good leadoff candidates, including him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
This team is going to be like the 2010 Blue Jays. All power, no on-base. It sucks that our only reliable on-base guy happens to be one of the slowest guys in the majors, lol.

Not quite Jays of 2010 had like one guy hitting over .275 and that was John Buck with .281 avg. And a lot of their guys are either hit or miss which resulted in their high Power and high Ks. At least our guys put the ball in play.

Anybody think this lead-off hitter thing is over rated. Well I mean yea we would like some one who is speedy and could get on base, some one in the mold of Juan Pierre (when he was good years ago). But I think its over blown we should just put a good bat up at the top, which seems to be like Alexei, Lillibridge as the ideal candidates.

Edited by kapzk

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
It will be interesting and fun when Viciedo comes up. But, some folks aren't l;ooking at the reality of making the line up. KW likes Rios in CF. Lillibridge can play all three OF positions plus 2B and I am guessing SS and 3B when needed in a pinch. Pierre gets traded is a possibility, but we still have a need for the lead off hitter. You can't have Viciedo, Lilli, Rios and Quentin all in the OF lineup at the same time. They might rotate. Time will tell

I'm in the department of rotating Lillibridge from 3B, to 2B to OF consistently to give Morel, Beckham and Rios days off (yes I know, Lillibridge has never played 3B, but could he be as bad as Teahen? Doubtful. My guess is he would impress, as he has with his outfield play. This way he will get more AB's and we can play Tank in LF or RF daily and DFA Pierre. Done and done!

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
Anybody think this lead-off hitter thing is over rated. Well I mean yea we would like some one who is speedy and could get on base, some one in the mold of Juan Pierre (when he was good years ago). But I think its over blown we should just put a good bat up at the top, which seems to be like Alexei, Lillibridge as the ideal candidates.

Speed is overblown in the leadoff spot, but OBP isn't. Problem with Alexei is that he tends to have an OBP of .330ish. Most of Alexei's value is in extra base hits, which is best put in fornt of OBP guys.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
Speed is overblown in the leadoff spot, but OBP isn't. Problem with Alexei is that he tends to have an OBP of .330ish. Most of Alexei's value is in extra base hits, which is best put in fornt of OBP guys.

This isn't at all true of this season's alexei ramirez.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
This isn't at all true of this season's alexei ramirez.

I was careful to say "tends." It's certainly possible that he has developed more plate discipline and better contact skills, and I hope that he has. However, this season so far isn't a reliable sample when compared to the rest of his career, so I wouldn't be comfortable considering it a long-term option quite yet.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
I was careful to say "tends." It's certainly possible that he has developed more plate discipline and better contact skills, and I hope that he has. However, this season so far isn't a reliable sample when compared to the rest of his career, so I wouldn't be comfortable considering it a long-term option quite yet.

Dude's taken 2 fewer walks than he did all of last year. He had a patient year in 2009 but the average was down a bit so that kept his OBP at .333. He keeps hitting .290ish, he's giving you that .350+ OBP.